Best Movie Summer Ever?

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
I'm having a hard time thinking of a year with more hits than 2017. Audiences en masse are praising

Dunkirk
Spiderman
Planet of the Apes
The Big Sick
Wonder Woman
Baby Driver

I think all of those have at least an 8.0 rating on IMDb. Dunkirk is like an 8.9, which is insane.

Road House, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Dead Poets Society, Batman, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Do the Right Thing, Weekend at Bernie's, Lethal Weapon 2, When Harry Met Sally..., Turner & Hooch, sex, lies, and videotape, The Abyss

Friday the 13th, Fame, The Empire Strikes Back, The Shining, The Blue Lagoon, The Blues Brothers, Airplane, Caddyshack

Yea for the first time ever I'm having a problem deciding which movie to see because there are so many good ones out right now, and I probably won't get around to all of them. It's a beautiful thing, really.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a year with more hits than 2017. Audiences en masse are praising

Dunkirk
Spiderman
Planet of the Apes
The Big Sick
Wonder Woman
Baby Driver

I think all of those have at least an 8.0 rating on IMDb. Dunkirk is like an 8.9, which is insane.

This is an unusually good summer for movies. When I was 10, me and one of my cousins were left by our grandmother to spend an entire day (almost literally) one day in June at a theater in Nashville. I remember we saw Ghostbusters, Gremlins, The Karate Kid and then Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - back to back to back to back. I had to wear sunglasses when I was outdoors the next 2 days but it was worth it... 1984 was a great summer for movies as well.

Btw, we only paid to see Ghostbusters. Hid out in the bathroom between shows and then snuck into the rest. Childhood. Good times.

Last edited:
This is an unusually good summer for movies. When I was 10, me and one of my cousins were left by our grandmother to spend an entire day (almost literally) one day in June at a theater in Nashville. I remember we saw Ghostbusters, Gremlins, The Karate Kid and then Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - back to back to back to back. I had to wear sunglasses when I was outdoors the next 2 days but it was worth it... 1984 was a great summer for movies as well.

Btw, we only paid to see Ghostbusters. Hid out in the bathroom between shows and then snuck into the rest. Childhood. Good times.
I had a friend who worked at our theatre, he'd let me stay and watch anything I wanted. That was fun.

Makes sense to me. Hollywood keeps on growing, the technology and production techniques are always advancing. Movies look better than they used to and we're getting larger international audiences as well - which means more money for the movie makers. Plus the bigger international markets outside of Hollywood like HK and Bollywood are prospering. Even smaller markets like New York, ATX, ATL, Chicago, Vancouver/Ontario, Melbourne/Sydney, Prague, Paris, London, Seoul, etc are pushing out better and better content.

It's not uncommon for a movie to have an unusually high imdb rating a week after release. Give it a month then see where it is for a more accurate representation. Then wait for bluray/dvd/streaming and watch it tick down a few more decimal points.

Jaws (1975)

This is a movie that made persons afraid to go in the water, a movie set in the summer shortly before the 4th of July, a masterpiece movie which is the Monarch or Mount Everest of Shark movies, and 1 of the best creature feature or a animal attacks movies.
The Jaws theme is 1 of the greatest most wonderful iconic themes in cinema hstory.
A masterpiece that has had ripoffs including 1 movie wasn't allowed to be shown in the USA because it's to similar to Jaws.

Responsible for the Hollywood summer blockbuster, made Steven the Marvelous Spielberg a household name, 1st movie to earn 100 million, and was reigning champ with that feat until 2 years later with Star Wars.
It is also 1 of the most successful motion pictures of all time,

Reactions: 1 person
It's funny because the first few weeks the only hits were Wonder Woman and GotG2. Movie studios were complaining that the review aggregate sites were hurting box office turnout.

In reality there was just a slate of crappy movies to start the summer.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know how many were summer releases but 1983 was the greatest movie year of my life time. Jedi, Vacation, Flashdance, Valley Girl, Blue Thunder, Octo*****, Vacation, Risky Business, Trading Places, Twilight Zone movie, Scarface, Christmas Story. I could go on and on.

I don't know how many were summer releases but 1983 was the greatest movie year of my life time. Jedi, Vacation, Flashdance, Valley Girl, Blue Thunder, Octo*****, Vacation, Risky Business, Trading Places, Twilight Zone movie, Scarface, Christmas Story. I could go on and on.

I saw Jedi countless times (as a then 9 year old) in the summer of '83. Of the movies you mentioned, I would say that The Twilight Zone was a big disappointment but obviously the disaster that happened during the movie's filming played a large part in that. It's impossible to watch the Vic Morrow episode and not think, "That guy got his head cut off on this movie!". The others you mentioned especially Vacation, A Christmas Story and Trading Places are some of my favorite movies.

Just a couple personal choices:

Jurassic Park, June 1993
Twister, May 1996

Road House, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Dead Poets Society, Batman, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Do the Right Thing, Weekend at Bernie's, Lethal Weapon 2, When Harry Met Sally..., Turner & Hooch, sex, lies, and videotape, The Abyss

Friday the 13th, Fame, The Empire Strikes Back, The Shining, The Blue Lagoon, The Blues Brothers, Airplane, Caddyshack

Have you seen Roadhouse lately? Its pretty terrible. Did not age well.

It has a payphone in it.

Wow if that is the only reason that is lame and not a valid reason.

Dirty Dancing a terrific drama has romance movie with 1 iconic line plus other memorable lines, 2 Science fiction action classic movies Predator and Robocop, Full Metal Jacket, The Lost Boys, The Princess Bride a serious action fantasy movie done right, Adventures in Babysitting, The Running Man while it has major changes still a memorable hardcore action future sciencefiction movie that spawned copycats, The Untouchables a terrific mob movie with unforgettable lines, Spaceballs a satire done right with effort plus is funny, Lethal Weapon, Hellraiser the debut of the Pinhead Demon, Empire of the Sun, Beverly hills cop 2, Fatal Attraction, La Bamba, Wallstreet, Masters of the universe, Over the Top, Evil Dead 2, The Monster Squad, A Nightmare on Elm street 3, Prince of Darkness, 3 Men and a baby, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Harry and the Hendersons, No Way Out, Dragnet, etc.

Science fiction, drama, horror, comedy, action adventure, fantasy, etc.

It was a terrific summer for 1987 Hollywood movies.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back