Spike: The Mist

Coug

themist.jpg

Thursdays 10/9C on Spike

Spike is apparently doing their own take on Stephen King's The Mist. The first episode aired tonight and I was able to record and watch it with short notice. It's pretty good so far. It's available on the Spike TV App and On Demand. They also have episodes 2 and 3 on those two as well already so you can watch those ahead of time if you want.

Link to episode 1 from Spike website:
http://www.spike.com/episodes/ojxk8h/the-mist-pilot-season-1-ep-101

Reactions: 2 people
themist.jpg

Thursdays 10/9C on Spike

Spike is apparently doing their own take on Stephen King's The Mist. The first episode aired tonight and I was able to record and watch it with short notice. It's pretty good so far. It's available on the Spike TV App and On Demand. They also have episodes 2 and 3 on those two as well already so you can watch those ahead of time if you want.

Link to episode 1 from Spike website:
http://www.spike.com/episodes/ojxk8h/the-mist-pilot-season-1-ep-101

Hope this is a limited run series and doesn't drag on like Lost did.

Reactions: 1 person
I got through about 10 mins of the pilot, maybe less. Just couldnt stand it. Spike isnt really known for its quality TV.

As long as that actor who plays the mall manager doesn't have another monologue I'll be good. Lol

Yeah, the movie is one of my favorite King adaptations. That ending tho

The ending of the movie is probably one of the better endings in cinema history imo.
I loved the ending too. It was so dark and nihilistic. I remember leaving the theater shocked and numb. It took major stones to end a movie like that.

I just watched the pilot. Some of the acting was atrocious but I was entertained the entire time.

I laughed out loud when the woman in the jail cell called the gay kid a freak the moment they met It was so ridiculous and made no sense.

I can't believe you guys were entertained by that movie ending. No parent would ever do that let alone even think about it. That whole ending was atrocious.

I can't believe you guys were entertained by that movie ending. No parent would ever do that let alone even think about it. That whole ending was atrocious.

No parent would try and spare their child what they assume to be endless misery and suffering and then try to end it for themselves so they too can avoid said endless misery and suffering? Okay.

Reactions: 2 people

I think the film was trying to explore what losing all sense of hope can do to normal people; and the tragedy and suffering that occurs when one is forced to choose between the lesser of two evils.

No parent would try and spare their child what they assume to be endless misery and suffering and then try to end it for themselves so they too can avoid said endless misery and suffering? Okay.

You didn't watch it until the end then. He shot everyone including his own son only to find out the army was 50 feet away from the truck and they had completely cleared the mist up to that point. So he needlessly killed his own child and an elderly couple. Okay.

You didn't watch it until the end then. He shot everyone including his own son only to find out the army was 50 feet away from the truck and they had completely cleared the mist up to that point. So he needlessly killed his own child and an elderly couple. Okay.

...And? How does that change the fact that he was trying to save them all from what he perceived as a lifetime of horrific suffering from the creatures in the mist by killing them and then turning the gun on himself? It doesnt. At all. Ive watched it until the end about 6 times hence me saying "it is probably one of the better endings in cinema history" so you should probably just stop while you are behind.

Last edited:

I think that's really shorting the intent of that ending. Think of all the movies where the heroes reach that "won't be taken alive" point. I'm pretty sure it's 13th Warrior where the women watching the children are given knives...not to fight but to actually kill the children rather than have them captured by animalistic cannibals. It's the idea that a quick death of your own choosing is a viable and preferable alternative to what one is facing.

Here's an interesting take on the matter.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69946

And though it wasn't listed that ending was actually foreshadowed by this quote:

Billy Drayton: You have to give me your very best promise... promise you won't let the monsters get me... ever, no matter what...

That was the option they all faced.

I think that's really shorting the intent of that ending. Think of all the movies where the heroes reach that "won't be taken alive" point. I'm pretty sure it's 13th Warrior where the women watching the children are given knives...not to fight but to actually kill the children rather than have them captured by animalistic cannibals. It's the idea that a quick death of your own choosing is a viable and preferable alternative to what one is facing.

And though it wasn't listed that ending was actually foreshadowed by this quote:

Billy Drayton: You have to give me your very best promise... promise you won't let the monsters get me... ever, no matter what...

Exactly.

I absolutely hate this movie precisely because of the ending. It is one of the worst endings ever.

You're in line with just about everyone else who watched the same thing.

The problem is that is very much cult like behavior. "Drink the Koolaid!" "Put the plastic bag over your head, because the alternative is far worse."

Billy Drayton's words were those of a child who didn't know any better. It's too bad the father took them literally.

That was only one perceived option, it was NOT the only option. It was obviously an action born out of fear rather than hope. The very end of the movie should prove that unfortunate point. It's defeatism.

You're in line with just about everyone else who watched the same thing.

The problem is that is very much cult like behavior. "Drink the Koolaid!" "Put the plastic bag over your head, because the alternative is far worse."

Billy Drayton's words were those of a child who didn't know any better. It's too bad the father took them literally.

That was only one perceived option, it was NOT the only option. It was obviously an action born out of fear rather than hope. The very end of the movie should prove that unfortunate point. It's defeatism.

I can't make any sense of the cult analogy at all. If you want a real world example look at people making the decision to jump from a building rather than burn.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/sept11/2002-09-02-jumper_x.htm

It's intrinsic to "twist" or "gut punch" endings to be divisive. If this ending didn't work for you so be it but it's strange how detached you are from the what and why behind it and how it isn't nearly as unrealistic as you make it out to be.

And there are LOTS of people that disagree with your take. Here's yet another link (did you even read the first?) discussing the matter and happens to mention that Stephen King himself loved the ending which was different than what he'd wrote.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2546366/still-not-over-the-mist-ending/

I thought the ending of the movie was terrible..... in the best possible way. It was tragic that he offed everyone only to be saved a few moments later. had they all been saved happily ever after the movie would have been a forgettable paint by numbers horror flick.

I thought the ending of the movie was terrible..... in the best possible way. It was tragic that he offed everyone only to be saved a few moments later. had they all been saved happily ever after the movie would have been a forgettable paint by numbers horror flick.

Yeah..in my mind Jane was going today a bullet as soon as he could find one after that. No way he could live with that.

VN Store

Back