Top Gun 2

I'm sure you are.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe this time they'll use actual Russian jets and not American F-5s painted black.

There is no way Val Kilmer fits in a fighter cockpit now. Cargo bay of an AC-130 maybe.

There's not much room in a AC, lots of computer stations, and the essential equipment for the guns. The cargo bay isn't as open as you may think.

You found the idea of Russia's front line fighters only having two wing tip fired missiles unrealistic?

Only slightly less realistic than ejecting out of a fighter jet and straight into the canopy, then somehow not having the ejection seat take the majority of the impact with said canopy.

Only slightly less realistic than ejecting out of a fighter jet and straight into the canopy, then somehow not having the ejection seat take the majority of the impact with said canopy.

Also, 10K feet is a lot lower than it looks if judged from the Jester dogfight.

A couple of lingering questions I have from Top Gun:

1) Why would there have been a combat with the Russians over the Indian Ocean in 1986?

2) What are the odds that Maverick's flight instructor (Viper) would just happen to know what exactly happened with his dad in Vietnam (which wasn't really explained anyway)?

3) Why was the water surrounding Maverick and Goose a weird lime green color during Goose's death scene?

4) The same commanding officer who chews out Viper for Maverick and Goose buzzing the tower (I want some butts!) at the beginning of the movie is the same guy who spills coffee on himself when Maverick and Merlin (Tim Robbins, btw) buzz the aircraft carrier near the end. Is it realistic that the same guy would have been in both locations? And what would the real punishment be for buzzing a tower like that? My guess is something more than a butt chewing, right?

His moniker changed from Iceman to Ice Cream Man.

Maybe he'll get a cheesy singing part where he rocks an acoustic version of Van Halens Ice Cream Man

I actually had a really cool Top Gun moment a few years ago. I sat at the same piano and played a few bars of Great Balls of Fire in the same bar. It's a place called Kansas City BBQ in San Diego. I think I may have gotten drunk too :)

Last edited:
A couple of lingering questions I have from Top Gun:

1) Why would there have been a combat with the Russians over the Indian Ocean in 1986?

2) What are the odds that Maverick's flight instructor (Viper) would just happen to know what exactly happened with his dad in Vietnam (which wasn't really explained anyway)?

3) Why was the water surrounding Maverick and Goose a weird lime green color during Goose's death scene?

4) The same commanding officer who chews out Viper for Maverick and Goose buzzing the tower (I want some butts!) at the beginning of the movie is the same guy who spills coffee on himself when Maverick and Merlin (Tim Robbins, btw) buzz the aircraft carrier near the end. Is it realistic that the same guy would have been in both locations? And what would the real punishment be for buzzing a tower like that? My guess is something more than a butt chewing, right?

I can answer #3 I think...That was the liquid dye equivalent of the colored smoke that helicopter borne combat units use to mark their position for withdrawal. Military guys would be more precise with their terms for these things, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

I can answer #3 I think...That was the liquid dye equivalent of the colored smoke that helicopter borne combat units use to mark their position for withdrawal. Military guys would be more precise with their terms for these things, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Okay, that's interesting. It looked weird to me but I know nothing about this.

VN Store

Back