X-Men Universe vs DCEU vs MCU

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I figured it would be interesting to have a thread devoted solely to this, since the conversation seems to just jump across different movie threads.

I think pretty much everyone would agree the MCU is kind of running the show. IMO the X-Men U needs to die off and probably reboot, as Apocalypse was a disaster to the franchise. The DCEU is really having trouble gaining footing.

I want to pose a few questions/ topics for discussion:

1. Is the DCEU going to make it? If WW is another failure, and Justice League doesn't fare much better, how much longer can they go?

2. How does everyone feel about Affleck's Batman? Personally, I think he's terrific. One of the few bright spots in an otherwise dismal universe.

3. What exactly is the problem with the DCEU? Why are they struggling?

4. Does the MCU need to start leaning towards more adult themes? Perhaps by merging in some of the Netflix characters?

5. Spider-Man.... smart move or no? He's failed at two other cinematic franchises already.

6. Does Logan need to be the swan song for the X-Men U? Or can they keep going?

Bonus Question: I really feel there is one thing the X-Men U did DRAMATICALLY better than the MCU. Can anyone guess what it is? Hint: think specific character.

DC sucks, always has, always will.
XMen First Class was awesome, the rest...meh.(havent seen Logan yet though)
I like the new Spiderman but the reboots are getting really old.
I still think Keaton was the best Batman...although Bale was good, just a bit too stiff.

I think bringing in Spider-man was a no-brainer. Yes there have been a lot of reboots but he's also one of Marvel's most popular characters. I think it will be good but Sony still being involved concerns me.

WW actually looks good, but Justice League looks terrible so far.

The X-Men MCU has been hit or miss. I wish they could work them into the MCU somehow, even if it's a "alternate reality" type situtation. The Fantastic Four is what really needs fixing and Fox needs to sell the rights back to Marvel or come to another agreement.

The one I really don't get is Sony's plans for their own MCU with Venom and other Spider-man characters without SM. That makes little sense to me.

I think Marvel is hitting the nail on the head by going rated R. Deadpool was awesome. Logan was awesome. I have high hopes for X-Force and the Deadpool series. The kids can have Avengers as long as I get one of these every so often.

I figured it would be interesting to have a thread devoted solely to this, since the conversation seems to just jump across different movie threads.

I think pretty much everyone would agree the MCU is kind of running the show. IMO the X-Men U needs to die off and probably reboot, as Apocalypse was a disaster to the franchise. The DCEU is really having trouble gaining footing.

1. Is the DCEU going to make it? If WW is another failure, and Justice League doesn't fare much better, how much longer can they go?

2. How does everyone feel about Affleck's Batman? Personally, I think he's terrific. One of the few bright spots in an otherwise dismal universe.

4. Does the MCU need to start leaning towards more adult themes? Perhaps by merging in some of the Netflix characters?

5. Spider-Man.... smart move or no? He's failed at two other cinematic franchises already.

Bonus Question: I really feel there is one thing the X-Men U did DRAMATICALLY better than the MCU. Can anyone guess what it is? Hint: think specific character.

1. I actually think WW will be a hit and salvage the DCU for now. (I mean... I'm not going to make a trip to the theatre for it but I think most will). JL? I dunno... it's still Snyder but the previews do look like they are trying to lighten the tone. That Flash costume though.. ugh.

2. meh... take him or leave him. Saying he was the best part of a chitty movie isn't saying much.

3. Trying too hard to catch up to Marvel too fast while at the same time taking itself too seriously. Making bright characters like Superman drab. Trying to cram too many classic story lines into a single movie creating an incoherent mess.... contrast with the popular DC television universe which is limited by TV budget.

4. No!... Marvel is doing just fine. These characters should be all ages. The Netflix corner is fine or an occasional one off but there is nothing wrong with keeping the bulk of the movies firmly in the PG-13 realm. People need to stop expecting their childhood stories to grow up with them. If you want something more mature/violent/whatever it's time to for you to move on from the Marvel Universe.

5. Smart move... I like that this reboot isn't another origin story. I hope Zendaya does not turn out to be Mary Jane though. That will bother me.

6.i haven't seen Logan yet but there is no reason for it to wrap up the series. DoFP was great and Apocalypse was just OK but far from the worst. No reason it can't rebound with Dark Phoenix done right. Bring on the Shi'ar and the Star Jammers. GotG has proved it will work.... I know they won't but they should do it in 2 parts. One with her becoming the Phoenix with the Shi'ar coming and then sacrificing her self. Part 2 with the return of the Helfire Club and the Dark Phoenix conclusion.... and honestly it's time for Magneto to take a back seat for awhile.

No clue what you think think X -Men did better than MCU. Soft reboot?

Reactions: 1 person
I'm guessing you think The X-Men MCU did Quicksliver better than the MCU did.

Bingo.

Dramatically better. I wish the characters were flip-flopped and the better QS was in the MCU.

The X-Men Quicksilver was definitely more entertaining but the Avengers one was a little closer to the comics. Not origin but personality.

Dark Knight Trilogy > all other comic book movie franchises

Maybe.

The Dark Knight is the best comic book movie to date, but it carries the franchise into elite status IMO.

Begins and DKR were great movies, but not quite the status on the Dark Knight. DK was almost perfection.

I thought the MCU greatly wasted Quicksilver.

Agreed. Killing him off was pointless.

Quicksilver played a big part with the Inhumans for years. With as much emphasis they are putting on them he could have complimented it well.

1) Wonder Woman actually looks intriguing. As far as succeeding as a whole, writing has to get better and characters made more relatable. If that happens, the DCEU can definitely thrive.

2) Affleck's not horrible, but I don't know that he's the best. I thought both Keaton and Bale brought something to the character.

3) See the answer to #1.

4) Yes and no. It really depends on the property being developed. No need to go for an R-rating for a PG character, imo. Plus the films are geared toward a wide age range, including children.

5) Smart move. Every Spider-Man movie has made money.

6) No. They're going to do the Dark Phoenix Saga in the next movie. If they don't screw up the script, it will be awesome. The DPS was one of the best comic book stories ever.

Bonus Question : Obviously Quicksilver.

Which is debatable. The X-Men version is more entertaining, but the Avengers version is more true to the actual character.

Last edited:
I can't completely disagree, but I felt Rises was a letdown.

If DNR hadn't sucked so hard, I could go along with what he said, but it did, and it was like getting a taste of something nasty at the end of a great meal..it is the thing you remember most. I hated that movie.

Which franchise is better?

Not disagreeing with you, I'm just curious

I'm loving The Guardians of the Galaxy..but to be fair, it could pull a DKR suckfest on us in it's next chapter. I think the Captain America franchise is more consistent than The Dark Knight franchise...But The Dark Knight is probably the best superhero movie ever. I will give you that.

If DNR hadn't sucked so hard, I could go along with what he said, but it did, and it was like getting a taste of something nasty at the end of a great meal..it is the thing you remember most. I hated that movie.

Wow... weakest of the trilogy for sure but it wasn't THAT bad.

Wow... weakest of the trilogy for sure but it wasn't THAT bad.

I respect that some like it, but I hated it. I had to make myself stay in my seat. It's just my opinion, I'm not usually that hard to please, but I will see if I can find it, and watch again, maybe it's not as bad as I thought. Could be I was just in a bad mood....but I doubt it..I really did not like the story or the characters at all.

I know some others feel that way. Personally, I like TDKR more than Civil War, and I will go as far as to say that Nolan's films are my three favorite comic book/superhero movies ever, with TDK first by a wide margin.

Note: I didn't grow up reading comic books, and I haven't seen Logan.

VN Store

Back