Most iconic movie "things"

hndog609

Was having a discussion with some friends about "things" that became major characters in movies to the point they made a cultural financial difference. Ones that come up.

Dirty Harry and the S&W M29 .44 Magnum. Prior to the movie 29 sales were so low it was cataloged but they weren't bothering to make more. After the movie if you could find one expect to pay triple.

The GPZ900R Ninja was a hell of a bike when it came out but achieved instant icon status from Top Gun.

Perhaps not a "thing" exactly but I've heard it said from many in the fly fishing business that there was a distinct before/after the release of A River Runs Through It.

Other nominations?

The hoverboard in Back to the Future 2. I was convinced they existed and I wanted one.

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't Delorean sales increase after Back to the Future??

Not really financial but Navy recruiting really went up after Top Gun as did Marine recruiting after John Cena played a Marine

Reactions: 1 person
The Aviator sunglasses worn by everyone in Top Gun, also Ford Mustang after the Bullitt movie.

Last edited:
Maybe doesn't exactly fit the topic, but nobody that has ever seen The Wizard will forget the Nintendo Power Glove.

"I love the power glove. It's so bad."

Trans Am's after Smokey & The Bandit

Damn, several good nominations but this one should have been obvious.

Sticking with cars and the earlier Bullitt reference Ford actually came out with two separate Bullitt editions.

Funny there are already a few Back to the Future mentions. First thing I thought of was the Flux Capacitor

Lightsabres are another obvious choice

Are we talking "iconic" as in after the show sales of the item went up or "iconic" as in unforgettable items in movies? Big difference

Are we talking "iconic" as in after the show sales of the item went up or "iconic" as in unforgettable items in movies? Big difference

It's not completely nailed down but items with financial influence make a more "real world" impact. Otherwise we could just start the list with something like Sharon Stone's hoo hoo or Racquel Welch's fur bikini. (which is not the same thing for those who don't get the reference)

Ray Ban's after Risky Business.

james-dean-sunglasses-10.gif

One of my nieces got into archery after Hunger Games movie. Now one of my old Bear bows is a wall hanger in pink princess land.

Pool was huge after Color of Money.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High broke Vans for most of America.

One of my nieces got into archery after Hunger Games movie. Now one of my old Bear bows is a wall hanger in pink princess land.

I'd actually heard this but wasn't sure if the scope was enough to mention here. At any rate there was a Katniss effect to some degree with girls and archery.

VN Store

Back