Steel books

vols72

Anyone else here collect steel books. Just getting into it and it's like crack. Right now I'm just doing the comic book movies but there are some others I will be getting later

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone else here collect steel books. Just getting into it and it's like crack. Right now I'm just doing the comic book movies but there are some others I will be getting later

Absolutely, It becomes an obsession I currently have about 90 the last couple I got were Hacksaw Ridge and Doctor Strange.

I already have Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them preordered. I was going to preorder Rogue One but was really disappointed in the cover art.

If your really into collecting movies then you should join Blu-ray.com

Update: Just found where Best Buy has up the preorder for Steelbooks for Logan, Beauty and the Beast and La La Land.

I went ahead and ordered Logan & B&B. $35 or more gets you Free Shipping. :good!:

Last edited:
Came in here to expect the question to be, what's the point? But seriously, what is the draw for these? I don't know.

Came in here to expect the question to be, what's the point? But seriously, what is the draw for these? I don't know.

Well for one they are unique something different from the standard plastic case.

They are also limited as each release is only sold by one retailer usually Best Buy or Target. Walmart might have like one a year.

Then there is the artwork which is different from the original artwork and most of the time they also have interior artwork behind the discs.

Finally the finish of the metal. Sometimes its a Glossy Finish, sometimes its a matte finish and on rare occasions both.

Sometimes there is embossing or debossing in writing, images or designs.

Take the recently released Best Buy Exclusive Doctor Strange steelbook.

Attachments

• Doctor-Strange-steelbook-5.jpg
    Doctor-Strange-steelbook-5.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Doctor-Strange-4.jpg
    Doctor-Strange-4.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 2
Well for one they are unique something different from the standard plastic case.

They are also limited as each release is only sold by one retailer usually Best Buy or Target. Walmart might have like one a year.

Then there is the artwork which is different from the original artwork and most of the time they also have interior artwork behind the discs.

Finally the finish of the metal. Sometimes its a Glossy Finish, sometimes its a matte finish and on rare occasions both.

Sometimes there is embossing or debossing in writing, images or designs.

Take the recently released Best Buy Exclusive Doctor Strange steelbook.

Perfectly said

Here's the Deadpool one

Attachments

• 20170316_080157.jpg
    20170316_080157.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20170316_080210.jpg
    20170316_080210.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1
They are cool, but I can't rationalize the price premium over a standard package.

For whatever reason, I tend to hold on to the cardboard sleeves that come with a lot of BluRay discs.

I still don't understand the obsession a lot have with digital media. Films, TV Shows or Music can be gone in a second if a studio decides to pull it or the streaming company gets in a contract dispute with a studio they may decide to pull all media from that studio.

Haven't we seen that happen with Hulu or Netflix all ready?

I still don't understand the obsession a lot have with digital media. Films, TV Shows or Music can be gone in a second if a studio decides to pull it or the streaming company gets in a contract dispute with a studio they may decide to pull all media from that studio.

Yep.

If that happened, I'd watch something else.

I find it fascinating people still collect cds, dvds, blurays, etc. Just seems expensive to me and a majority of the time you never watch them more than once, if that. There's just so many options now to find digital content. If Back to the Future 2 somehow gets taken offline due to a dispute, I'm not going to sweat it.

But, I collect some dumb stuff with no real value. Guess everyone has things they like to collect.

Last edited:
Is the outside case actually made of steel?

While it is made out of metal technically No.

"Steelbook" is the name of the company that manufactures the cases. However "Steelbooks" are made out of Metal but its probably actually made of Tin. The inside has a clear plastic insert molded with the hubs to hold the discs.

There is another company called "MetalPak" that has hinges that you can see. While Steelbooks are hinged together with part of the plastic insert for a cleaner look.

Last edited:
Here's a look at what a couple of the upcoming Best Buy Exclusive Steelbooks will look like.

The "Fantastic Beasts" Steelbook has now been confirmed to be a (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital HD) release. No word yet on La La Land?

Attachments

• imagen-del-steelbook-trasatlantico-l_cover.jpg
    imagen-del-steelbook-trasatlantico-l_cover.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Fantastic Beasts Steel.jpg
    Fantastic Beasts Steel.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FantasticBeastsInsideAW.jpg
    FantasticBeastsInsideAW.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
If that happened, I'd watch something else.

I find it fascinating people still collect cds, dvds, blurays, etc. Just seems expensive to me and a majority of the time you never watch them more than once, if that. There's just so many options now to find digital content. If Back to the Future 2 somehow gets taken offline due to a dispute, I'm not going to sweat it.

But, I collect some dumb stuff with no real value. Guess everyone has things they like to collect.

I have a DVD collection with nearly 230 titles now. I don't buy anything I never want to watch again.

Picked up the Best buy exclusive Steel book edition of Fantastic Beasts last night

Attachments

• 20170330_202725.jpg
    20170330_202725.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 0
I picked up the Rogue One steel book at Best Buy.

I actually passed on it in favor of the regular release really like the slipcover & artwork. I didn't care for the Steelbook artwork but since its release the in-hand pics & unboxing vids make the art look a lot better.

I currently have three steels on preorder the Beauty and the Beast and Logan from Best Buy and the latest DC animated film Teen Titans: The Judus Contract from Target.

Best Buy now has a Logan 4K/Blu-ray/Digital steelbook release up so I may order it as well and then decide which artwork I like best and cancel the other if indeed they have two different releases.

Here are a few upcoming Best Buy Exclusive Steelbooks.

May 9th
Fifty Shades Darker
(I bought the first one on Steelbook but haven't watched it yet. :unsure: I still haven't decided if I'll pull the trigger on this one?)
WWE: Wrestlemania 33

May 16th
The Mummy Ultimate Collection (I would have been in for individual releases especially the first two films!)

June 13th
John Wick 2
John Wick

July 18th
Kong: Skull Island

TBA
The LEGO Batman Movie
Ghost In The Shell

TARGET Exclusive
August 22nd

The Walking Dead: The Complete Seventh Season

Takes up less space. Cost less money. Overall convenience.

I actually backed away from owning movies even before digital was a thing. I just realized how often I wasn't rewatching movies. Even the ones I really liked. Decided it was a waste of money.

Now I do have a handful of movies my kids love which aren't on services like Netflix. But if I didn't buy them digitally then I ripped them from the original disc and stream them to my AppleTv.

Now music is something I still like to own even if it is digital copies. Then I use iTunes Match to make my library available on all my different devices.

Having said that, I bought an old stereo cabinet last year and plan to restore it this summer with modern equipment at which point I will be taking on a new hobby of collecting Vinyl.

Just ordered the Teen Titans Judas Contract on Steelbook

Last edited:

VN Store

Back