The OA

I'm more confused after watching the trailer than before about what this is about

i've watched the series,it is one damn strange show and has an ending that you will never expect

Bleh..the emphasis on interpretive dance was too extreme for me.

i watched it over the weekend, really weird but good show. i couldn't figure out if her story was true or if she just made it up because she's psycho. it will be interesting if they come out with a second season. i thought it was really good.

Reactions: 1 person
I loved season 1. So good.

is she "crazy" or is she really going to a different dimension? I am betting it's both. Some theoretical physicists say schizos might be seeing/hearing dimensions we don't see/hear.

I finished this last night. I want to think she's crazy but how'd she get her sight back? Where'd she go for 7 years?

There better be a second season... that was a weird ending.

I loved season 1. So good.

is she "crazy" or is she really going to a different dimension? I am betting it's both. Some theoretical physicists say schizos might be seeing/hearing dimensions we don't see/hear.

I think your take is solid. I'm in the same camp.

Some issues I had - I realize these are minor if I'm willing to overlook the bigger plot but they seemed sloppy to me.

1. The guys from the reform school taking 50K to release the kid. I get the woman wanted to do something meaningful with the money but too many holes in that story. 2. Why he went back to regular school like nothing happened. Clearly his parents were done with him and I'm surprised the "trauma" of being told stories by some blonde chick would be enough for them to change their mind. 3. The OA seemed not notice, not care that her books were taken. 4. Flying in an out of Cuba like no big deal; especially with one more person than you came in with who is likely unconscious.

Its an interesting watch if you are into alternate realities and what not.

I watched it. Kept me entertained but looking back I'd rate it a "meh".

The main character was in another movie about alternate realities and I find her a little annoying after a while.

I just finished this. It was okay. It felt like a student project that suddenly had a larger budget that the writers/director didn't know how to properly spend.

I had one major problem:

All of the flashbacks that the audience sees are OA's first-hand retelling. She witnessed them or she would have reasonably been told by her fellow captives (i.e. Homer's NDEs and trip to Cuba). And it's important that the audience accepts that the flashbacks are her words, or the open-ended finale isn't open-ended at all. We are supposed to perceive that OA is an unreliable narrator so that we don't know whether or not her story is true.

However, the scene between Hap and his colleague who is also studying NDEs doesn't fit into the first-hand narrative. OA did not witness it, and Hap would have had no reason to relay that story to her. The audience certainly doesn't witness Hap telling anyone about that incident. So why do we, the audience, get to see it? Because it doesn't fit in with the unreliable narrator story structure, we can only assume that it happened, and thus everything that OA relayed also had to have happened. It totally destroys the premise of an unreliable narrator.

I binged it last week. Overall it was ok. I thought it started pretty good and the first half of the season is good, but the second half is pretty....meh.

The acting is pretty good and it was good to see Phyllis Vance (Married to Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration). But yeah it got weird with the dance stuff, and there was a lot of buzz about the finale but I honestly found it pretty underwelming.

VN Store

Back