Vikings

Plano Vol

Where is the love for Ragnar? The poor sod tried to hang himself last week but the rope broke.

Where is the love for Ragnar? The poor sod tried to hang himself last week but the rope broke.

I wasn't that crazy about the premiere. Overall it just seemed very dull to me. Also..

Did they REALLY have to put Lagertha in a lesbian relationship? Not that I find that unbelievable for her character (she is kind of "butch" anyway), but why does every show now have to do this?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It's building up. Bjorn ravages the Med. Ragnar comes to a bad end and the boys come looking for payback. Rollo founds Normandy. Lagatha does LGTB spots on Viking radio.

I've liked the show. I caught up on it on Amazon Prime and was able to DVR the second half premiere. I don't love the show, but it's still good.

Just got caught up on the last 3 episodes. I have to say, they are taking this in an interesting direction.

A lot of this show is loosely based on history. The direction of the show is already written to a degree. The crippled son and Bjorn Ironside turn out to be great leaders and end up running everything, per history/legend. How they get there is what the show has to develop.

I've been hooked on this show from the beginning.

A lot of this show is loosely based on history. The direction of the show is already written to a degree. The crippled son and Bjorn Ironside turn out to be great leaders and end up running everything, per history/legend. How they get there is what the show has to develop.

I'm glad they left Ragnar to the way the historical recordings hint at his ... late life encounter with the King.

It's still unclear if Ragnar was a real person or just legend based on numerous people. Nevertheless, I think the show did an excellent job with his character development. I like how Vikings aren't depicted as blood thirsty savages. Like they did with Ragnar, it humanizes them as a sophisticated society and attempts to show everything they did from their point of view.

It's still unclear if Ragnar was a real person or just legend based on numerous people. Nevertheless, I think the show did an excellent job with his character development. I like how Vikings aren't depicted as blood thirsty savages. Like they did with Ragnar, it humanizes them as a sophisticated society and attempts to show everything they did from their point of view.

Pretty brutal. That poor French family. :ermm:

This is one of the things I like about it. They take some artistic license with it, but over all they seem at least partially guided by history/legend. They have to take some liberties with it to make for good TV, but it works. One of the liberties is with Rollo. According to history he wasn't Ragnar's brother and was actually 75-80 years after the age generally associated with Ragnar. Rollo is a real historical person, If I'm not mistaken he is either grandfather or great-grandfather of William the Conquer.

Well in raiding they are brutal, of course. But that isn't the whole show, they actually show a lot of them at home, going about daily life, importance of religion. Much of that gets overlooked when talking about Viking culture.

Ragnar was a real person. Monks scribed the happenings iirc.

How much longer is this show supposed to last? I'm skeptical that a Ragnor-less show will hold up.

How much longer is this show supposed to last? I'm skeptical that a Ragnor-less show will hold up.

The fame of Ragnar Lothbrok was more so his sons and not him.

Of all of his sons, Ivar is the most famous. He led the Heathen Army to conquer North Umbria and sack the town of York. He was ruthless. Matter of fact, he wasn't boneless at all. The translation for boneless and ruthless are one in the same. The Vikings during this timeframe wielded considerable influence throughout Europe. England even had a Viking king at one point, Cnut the Great.

With all that being said, this season or maybe one more is all the material (historically) they will have to work with.

The fame of Ragnar Lothbrok was more so his sons and not him.

Of all of his sons, Ivar is the most famous. He led the Heathen Army to conquer North Umbria and sack the town of York. He was ruthless. Matter of fact, he wasn't boneless at all. The translation for boneless and ruthless are one in the same. The Vikings during this timeframe wielded considerable influence throughout Europe. England even had a Viking king at one point, Cnut the Great.

With all that being said, this season or maybe one more is all the material (historically) they will have to work with.

Ummm that is a matter of contention. As are a great many things about the Vikings. Facts are incredibly hard to come by when it comes to them and their legends/deeds. A great many scholars accept the fact that Ivar was crippled in his legs. But what you said may really be true. I am not taking either side, just pointing out that calling it a "fact" is a little erroneous.

VN Store

Back