Timeless (NBC)

I haven't heard of it. I'll have to check out a preview.

No one posted much about this but I had to post all this in its original thread and not just in the cancel/renewal threads.

Originally posted: Wednesday 5/13/17 at 7:32PM in the Cancelled show thread!
Dang a show I watch has been cancelled!

NBC has announced it has cancelled Timeless after 1 season!

According to twitter the creators etc. are shocked and have already been putting out feelers to other networks about picking it up.

[twitter]https://twitter.com/therealKripke/status/862442132346331136[/twitter]

Originally posted: Saturday 5/13/17, 01:11 PM
Well since it was announced its been trending almost constantly on twitter.

Someone high up at NBC has spoken and the decision has been reversed!

NBC has reversed course and given Timeless a 2nd season renewal.

[twitter]https://twitter.com/therealKripke/status/863438804970913792[/twitter]

After originally announcing that it was cancelled.

NBC has reversed course and given a renewal to Timeless for a 10-episode 2nd season to air sometime next year

[twitter]https://twitter.com/therealKripke/status/863438804970913792[/twitter]

The rare move follows three days of very strong reaction from fans to the cancellation of the time-travel drama, which was the top pick in USA Today’s Save Our Shows poll.

There have been just handful series that have been canceled and then uncanceled by the same network, including Fox’s Breaking In and Lifetime’s Drop Dead Diva. Coincidentally — or not — both of them and Timeless come from Sony Pictures TV whose executives had worked hard over the past few days to find a new home for the NBC drama.

Timeless, created by Shawn Ryan and Kripke, stars Matt Lanter, Abigail Spencer and Malcolm Barret, who all posted reactions following the cancellation, which rallied fans.

[twitter]https://twitter.com/ShawnRyanTV/status/863445555057311745[/twitter]

Makes you wonder if they were close to going to another Network and NBC was worried it would become a hit? Remember NBC originally aired the first season of the show JAG in 1995 but cancelled it with one episode remaining to air. The show was picked up by CBS airing season 2 in 1997 as a spring replacement show. The ratings of course took off and it aired for a total of 10 seasons until 2005 and its spinoff NCIS will be airing its 15th season this fall.

After originally announcing that it was cancelled.

Makes you wonder if they were close to going to another Network and NBC was worried it would become a hit? Remember NBC originally aired the first season of the show JAG in 1995 but cancelled it with one episode remaining to air. The show was picked up by CBS airing season 2 in 1997 as a spring replacement show. The ratings of course took off and it aired for a total of 10 seasons until 2005 and its spinoff NCIS will be airing its 15th season this fall.

I didn't know ncis was a spinoff of jag!

I didn't know ncis was a spinoff of jag!

Yep, They used what is called a backdoor "Pilot" to debut the NCIS cast in two Season Eight JAG episodes titled "Ice Queen" & "Meltdown".

The synopsis:
"The Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) team is called to investigate the mysterious death of a Judge Advocate Lt. Loren Singer (Nanci Chambers), who is discovered by a boy scout searching for a stray arrow. Before the episode concludes, Harmon Rabb (David James Elliott) is read his rights before being declared a suspect."

The following first season NCIS cast members guest starred on the two part episode story-line.

Mark Harmon as NCIS Senior Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs
Michael Weatherly as Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo
Pauley Perrette as Abigail "Abby" Sciuto
David McCallum as Dr. Donald "Ducky" Mallard

The first season of NCIS debuted the next fall. NCIS then did the same thing in later seasons to introduce the characters of both NCIS: Los Angeles and NCIS: New Orleans.

Just this season two original JAG cast members have reprized their roles as Patrick Labyorteaux guest starred on an episode of NCIS as now Captain Bud Roberts (still assigned to JAG Headquarters) and John M. Jackson now retired Admiral AJ Chegwidden (formerly the Judge Advocate General of the Navy) has appeared on two episodes of NCIS:LA.

Last edited:
Yep, They used what is called a backdoor "Pilot" to debut the NCIS cast in two Season Eight JAG episodes titled "Ice Queen" & "Meltdown".

The synopsis:
"The Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) team is called to investigate the mysterious death of a Judge Advocate Lt. Loren Singer (Nanci Chambers), who is discovered by a boy scout searching for a stray arrow. Before the episode concludes, Harmon Rabb (David James Elliott) is read his rights before being declared a suspect."

The following first season NCIS cast members guest starred on the two part episode story-line.

Mark Harmon as NCIS Senior Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs
Michael Weatherly as NCIS Agent Anthony DiNozzo
Michael Weatherly as Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo

Pauley Perrette as Abigail "Abby" Sciuto
David McCallum as Dr. Donald "Ducky" Mallard

The first season of NCIS debuted the next fall. NCIS then did the same thing in later seasons to introduce the characters of both NCIS: Los Angeles and NCIS: New Orleans.

Just this season two original JAG cast members have reprized their roles as Patrick Labyorteaux guest starred on an episode of NCIS as now Captain Bud Roberts (still assigned to JAG Headquarters) and John M. Jackson now retired Admiral AJ Chegwidden (formerly the Judge Advocate General of the Navy) has appeared on two episodes of NCIS:LA.

Wonder why Weatherly never won an Emmy for playing the same character slightly different twice on every episode? :huh:

So this won't air again until 2018. You get cancelled for just 3 days and that pushes your airing back by a year? How does that work? It should be airing again this October.

So this won't air again until 2018. You get cancelled for just 3 days and that pushes your airing back by a year? How does that work? It should be airing again this October.

Yeah, since it isn't part of their main fall schedule it will be pushed back to either spring of 2018 or as a Summer 2018 show.

It could be used as a replacement if one of the new shows crashes and burns but NBC is only debuting one new show (The Brave) this fall and IMO its one of the better looking new shows out this fall.

That's a show worth watching. Seems like there were two other time travel shows that came out about the same time.

I've been watching Quantum Leap some here lately. Some I remember, others are new to me. Life was tough before DVRs and On Demand.

Last edited:
That's a show worth watching. Seems like there were two other time travel shows that came out about the same time.

I've been watching Quantum Leap some here lately. Some I remember, others are new to me. Life was tough before DVRs and On Demand.

Yeah, Time After Time, and Frequency came out at the same time and were cancelled.

Yeah, Time After Time, and Frequency came out at the same time and were cancelled.

I really liked Time after Time had a great cast and premise.

I recently saw that first/only season is on the CW Seed streaming service.

If anyone is interested the 2-hour Timeless Series finale movie is set to air a week from Tonight on Thursday December, 20th on NBC.

I did as well. But it is out there on YouTube. Definitely watch that before the Movie event.

Enjoyed the ending. NBC is stupid for cancelling such a smart show.

Some great shows get cancelled because they simply get lost among other broadcasting and/or they were placed in a very competitive time slot. The same thing happened to The Brave on NBC. It got buried for being in the same time slot as The Good Doctor and Seal Team. It was far superior to Seal Team with regard to entertainment value.

VN Store

Back