NCIS Franchise Discussion (CBS)

CagleMtnVol

Use this thread to discuss one of the Longest, most successful running franchises in Television History!

JAG - Ran for 10 Seasons (1st on NBC, 2-10 on CBS) and a total of 227 episodes.

NCIS - The series entering its 17th Season, was a spin-off of the parent show JAG. The characters were first introduced during the backdoor "Pilot" for the series on the Season 8 episodes (178 & 179) of JAG titled "Ice Queen" and "Meltdown" in April of 2003. It was the first appearance of Mark Harmon (Gibbs), Michael Weatherly (DiNozzo), Pauley Perette (Abby) and David McCallum (Dr. Mallard) as their NCIS characters.

NCIS: Los Angeles - Now entering its 11th Season, The charterers of NCIS: LA was first introduced during the NCIS (Season 6 episodes (135 & 136) titled "Legend (Part I)" & "Legend (Part II)" in April of 2009. When NCIS Special Agents Gibbs (Mark Harmon) & McGee (Sean Murray) fly to Los Angeles to work with the NCIS Office of Special Projects.

NCIS: New Orleans - Now entering its 7th Season. The Characters of NCIS: NOLA first appeared in the NCIS Season 11 episodes (252 & 253) titled "Crescent City (Part I)" & "Crescent City (Part II)" in March of 2014.
Agents Gibbs (Mark Harmon) & Bishop (Emily Wickersham ) travel to New Orleans to help investigate the murder of a Congressman. There Gibbs is reunited with longtime friend NCIS Special Agent Dwayne "King" Pride (Scott Bakula) and his team of Agents. LaSalle (Lucas Black) & Brody (Zoe McLellan)

Last edited:
When it was renewed for season 14 it was also renewed for Season 15 for the fall of 2017.

NCIS begins Season 14 tonight and its almost a reboot for one of the longest running dramas to air.

Michael Weatherly (Tony DiNozzo) who had been with show since its beginning as a 2-hour episode (backdoor Pilot) during Season 8 of JAG left the show at the end of Season 13. (Weatherly now the lead in the new CBS drama Bull).

To replace the loss of Weatherly NCIS will debut three new series regulars tongiht Wilmer Valderrama (That 70's Show, From Dusk till Dawn: The Series), Jennifer Esposito (Blue Bloods) and British actor Duane Henry (who was promoted to series regular after being a guest star last season).

Great first episode for season 14 of NCIS!

Having not seen him in anything since That 70's Show who would have ever thought Wilmer Valderrama could play in a action drama?

I really like the Jennifer Esposito character and not just because I think she is hot!

The part of the show that brought the biggest smile to my face was seeing Captain Bud J. Roberts (Patrick Labyorteaux) again who we last saw in the JAG series finale back in April of 2005. We even got a mention of Harm & Mac (David James Elliott & Catherine Bell) :) Hopefully we will see them again on an NCIS episode in the future!:good!:

I haven't watched the NCIS: New Orleans episode yet!

NCIS: New Orleans - I must have missed that actress Zoe McLellan who played the female lead Agent Meredith Brody would not be returning for Season 3.

Overall a solid episode.

NCIS Los Angeles - Has become my favorite show of the entire franchise. Really good 2-hour premiere. The injuries to Kensi in all likely hood was to allow actress Daniela Ruah to be off camera for a while until she has her baby (which just recently did.) There for a few minutes I thought they had actually killed her off.

Any scene that actress Linda Hunt (Hetty Lange) is in just pulls you in. She is so good.

I've never understood why this franchise is so popular. It's not bad but it's hardly ground breaking stuff.

I've never understood why this franchise is so popular. It's not bad but it's hardly ground breaking stuff.

Solid characters, writing and acting! Except for NCIS:NOLA (only been on a couple of years) if you have been watching from the beginning you know the back stories on every character and what makes them who they are.

That is part of what we got in the first episode of season 14 last week particularly with Wilmer Valderrama's character.

Have your ever seen "The Presidio"? Mark Harmon was channeling Jethro before he even knew who he was.

CBS programming is like Nickelback. There are apparently a lot of people watching but you can rarely find someone to admit to it.

Solid characters, writing and acting! Except for NCIS:NOLA (only been on a couple of years) if you have been watching from the beginning you know the back stories on every character and what makes them who they are.

That is part of what we got in the first episode of season 14 last week particularly with Wilmer Valderrama's character.

You just described every long running show ever, so as I said, hardly ground breaking stuff.

We'll disagree on solid characters and writing, since I find it all cookie cutter and bland. There's a reason network shows are disappearing from Emmy and Golden Globe nominations.

CBS programming is like Nickelback. There are apparently a lot of people watching but you can rarely find someone to admit to it.

Pretty much. I won't deny the shows get monster ratings, I just don't know why so many find these shows entertaining when most of them you could interchange and not know the difference.

And yeah of all the shows that I see people talking about, other than maybe The Big Bang Theory, I rarely come across anyone who wants to talk about these shows. There has never been anyone who said to me "Did you see that NCIS episode last night?".

Wow shocking ending to tonight's Season 16 Finale!

First appearance of Ziva David (Cote de Pablo) since the Season 11 finale in 2013!

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Wow shocking ending to tonight's Season 16 Finale!

First appearance of Ziva David (Cote de Pablo) since the Season 11 finale in 2013!

My absolute favorite show. This makes me happy, and you know Tony won't be far behind. He has been hinting at coming back. I know Bull was renewed but he has said he would like to do both if possible

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
When Gibbs gets killed off I might start watching this show again. I absolutely hate his character.

My absolute favorite show. This makes me happy, and you know Tony won't be far behind. He has been hinting at coming back. I know Bull was renewed but he has said he would like to do both if possible

Yeah, I have been hooked on these shows since first watching JAG when I was a Freshman in High School.

I can't believe that they were able keep it quite. Look at the return of David James Elliott & Catherine Bell as their JAG characters on NCIS: LA that was all over the internet weeks before it went to air. All of the cast were posting pictures together on Instagram weeks before but they somehow managed to keep this hidden well done to the cast and crew to keep it covered up.

Last edited:
Reactions: vols72
LOL, Without Leroy Jethro Gibbs you have know show!

I would have shot him the second time he slapped me in the back of the head.

I can't stand his character, I watched the first 4-5 seasons and that was enough for me.

I can't believe that they were able keep it quite. Look at the return of David James Elliott & Catherine Bell as their JAG characters on NCIS: LA that was all over the internet weeks before it went to air. All of the cast were posting pictures together on Instagram weeks before but they somehow managed to keep this hidden well done to the cast and crew to keep it covered up.
You're right especially in this day and age. I know earlier in the season they hinted at her still being alive but never really made you think she would come back. I wonder who may be leaving

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
I love FBI and SWAT. I think Criminal Minds has run it's course. It seems like the stories are repetitive and cliche. There is always someone trying to undermine the team. I've never really watched any of the NCIS series.

I love FBI and SWAT. I think Criminal Minds has run it's course. It seems like the stories are repetitive and cliche. There is always someone trying to undermine the team. I've never really watched any of the NCIS series.
Next season is the last season of Criminal Minds. The season is only is just going to be 10 episodes.

One of the great things I like about NCIS and its sister shows like (LA since it's been on the longer than NOLA) is that they like to call back to events or suspects they ran into in earlier seasons.

Won’t be able to do either. Sexual harassment allegations from Eliza Dushku (and $9 mil payoff).

VN Store

Back