Hacksaw Ridge (November 4th, 2016)

CagleMtnVol

HACKSAW RIDGE

Release Date: November 4, 2016

MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated

Distributor: Lionsgate

Director: Mel Gibson (Braveheart, The Passion of the Christ)

Starring:
Andrew Garfield
Rhys Bellamy
Vince Vaughn
Sam Worthington
Luke Bracey
Hugo Weaving
Ryan Corr
Teresa Palmer
Rachel Griffiths
Richard Roxburgh

The film is based on the true story about US Army medic Desmond T. Doss, a Seventh-Day Adventist conscientious objector who refused to bear arms, yet was awarded the Medal of Honor by President Harry S. Truman for single-handedly saving the lives of over 75 of his comrades while under constant enemy fire during the brutal Battle of Okinawa in World War II.

Hacksaw Ridge Official Trailer 1 (2016)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-1hz1juBI[/youtube]

Just an FYI.....

Desmond T. Doss (February 7, 1919 – March 23, 2006)

The man featured in Hacksaw Ridge portrayed by Andrew Garfield is Buried in the Chattanooga National Cemetery

hacksaw_ridge_xxlg_zpsrjkroejt.jpg

Last edited:
Hope Mel ratchets up the graphic gore in this one, his past films have been really lacking in that dept....

Looks really good. Mel Gibson has made some incredible movies and this looks like another one.

Too many movies are ruined because of this

If a movie is ruined because it doesn't have enough graphic violence or foul language then its probably not a very good movie to begin with. IMO

A film with the premise of Hacksaw Ridge based on a true story needs a good story followed by great acting & directing. It doesn't have to have graphic violence take for instance Sergeant York (1941) starring Gary Cooper and directed by Howard Hawks.

Reactions: 2 people
If a movie is ruined because it doesn't have enough graphic violence or foul language then its probably not a very good movie to begin with. IMO

A film with the premise of Hacksaw Ridge based on a true story needs a good story followed by great acting & directing. It doesn't have to have graphic violence take for instance Sergeant York (1941) starring Gary Cooper and directed by Howard Hawks.

Counterpoint to your example...Saving Private Ryan. That movies first 30 minutes is still the toughest thing I've ever watched. The visceral brutality of war is seared in your mind by the gritty realism of the violence in a way that is integral to the emotional impact of the film..So I totally disagree with you on this point. Unless you are referencing cartoonish violence like what is in Inglorious Basterds or something of that nature. Then I agree with you... Sergeant York is a good movie, but come on. I think that is what the others are saying too. If you want to see a Disneyfied hero movie, then Sergeant York is fine, but if you want a real emotionally moving movie that really hits you..then Saving Private Ryan's realistic style is the pattern to follow.

Reactions: 3 people
I love how Hollywood can praise a SOB that raped a child (Polanski) or another that married one (Allen), but banish Gibson for being drunk and making some anti-Semitic statements; statements that he has apologized for repeatedly. Mel is talented af and it's been more than enough time for him to get back to what he does best.

Reactions: 3 people
I love how Hollywood can praise a SOB that raped a child (Polanski) or another that married one (Allen), but banish Gibson for being drunk and making some anti-Semitic statements; statements that he has apologized for repeatedly. Mel is talented af and it's been more than enough time for him to get back to what he does best.

I agree with the craziness of picking and choosing of who to vilify.

Sorry. I was talking about how many PG-13 rated movies should've been rated R to make it flow better but had a lot that was cut out just so the producers could make more money off of it. Nothing about over the top gore.

Counterpoint to your example...Saving Private Ryan. That movies first 30 minutes is still the toughest thing I've ever watched. The visceral brutality of war is seared in your mind by the gritty realism of the violence in a way that is integral to the emotional impact of the film..So I totally disagree with you on this point. Unless you are referencing cartoonish violence like what is in Inglorious Basterds or something of that nature. Then I agree with you... Sergeant York is a good movie, but come on. I think that is what the others are saying too. If you want to see a Disneyfied hero movie, then Sergeant York is fine, but if you want a real emotionally moving movie that really hits you..then Saving Private Ryan's realistic style is the pattern to follow.

visceral violence seard into your brain so it makes everything more real

yeah, well BULLhockey

down through the mists of time excellent tales of war have been told without visceral scenes where you can virtually smell the blood and guts and burnt flesh and pizz and sh1+ of men dying or already dead from being blown into 10 seperate pieces.

it's not necessary. you just played too much shooter games as a kid and now cant get your movie consumer rocks off without seein body parts flying across the screen.

Frankly, I consider that crap lazy storytelling.

Reactions: 1 person

yeah, well BULLhockey

down through the mists of time excellent tales of war have been told without visceral scenes where you can virtually smell the blood and guts and burnt flesh and pizz and sh1+ of men dying or already dead from being blown into 10 seperate pieces.

it's not necessary. you just played too much shooter games as a kid and now cant get your movie consumer rocks off without seein body parts flying across the screen.

So..you're saying Saving Private Ryan is a example of "crap lousy storytelling"..? There went your credibility...bye bye.

Reactions: 2 people

yeah, well BULLhockey

And another thing, all I did was disagree. You don't have to agree. You don't even have to be civil. But it would be great if you'd lay off the personal attack. I've never played shooter games or zombie apocalypse games. The last video games I played regularly was Madden and NCAA football on my sons Xbox. Before that it was all the way back to SMB and Sonic. I don't like gore for gores sake and I don't watch horror movies.

A war movie about a medic.... with the word "hacksaw" in the title..... PG-13....

A war movie about a medic.... with the word "hacksaw" in the title..... PG-13....
Sawbones :)..useless trivia information of the day coming..By the way that's where Bones nickname in Star Trek came from. They used to call military field doctors "sawbones" in the old days because of all the emergency amputations they did in the field...can you imagine one of them guys comin at you with that bone saw.

Polanski and Allen are Jewish.
Entertainment (movies and plays) is pretty much run by Jewish folks.
Gibson isn't Jewish and said bad things about Jewish people.
You do the math.

Not meant as rascist at all. 2nd sentence is definitely true.

Hopefully the subtitle quota will be kept low. Another film subtitled in English but spoken in a long dead language would be too many.

Hopefully the subtitle quota will be kept low. Another film subtitled in English but spoken in a long dead language would be too many.

Apocalypto was great just like it was, it would have been stupid to hear them speaking english. Likewise Passion of the Christ. I am glad Mel did those two. Nobody else would have made those two movies. I mean who makes a pre Columbian native American flick in authentic language and dress, and make it interesting? If Mel can pull off another great movie like that, I don't care what language it's in.

Apocalypto was great just like it was, it would have been stupid to hear them speaking english. Likewise Passion of the Christ. I am glad Mel did those two. Nobody else would have made those two movies. I mean who makes a pre Columbian native American flick in authentic language and dress, and make it interesting? If Mel can pull off another great movie like that, I don't care what language it's in.

I can see where you're coming from, but the reading does kind of distract from the action, imo. It's a movie for an English speaking audience, not necessarily a global one.

VN Store

Back