Ready Player One (2018)

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
They just started filming this. TJ Miller and Simon Pegg will be in supporting, so I have somewhat high hopes that they can pull this off.

I loved this book. It's intended for young adults and at times it was a little too nerdy for me, but the concept was so much fun.

Ready Player One (2018) - IMDb

Plot synopsis

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenager Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.

But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Was thinking about starting this thread yesterday! Loved the book and I'm stoked Spielberg is at the helm on this. If anyone can pull this off, it's him. Gotta be weird directing a film that references your own films...

first pic released. can't wait. gonna be one of the biggest (best?) movies of the year.

9oxxl9kqkk9z.jpg

Wasn't a big fan of the book. Interested in seeing how they handle the movie though.

The book was ok great references but felt dated somehow. His second book was a direct ripoff of last starfighter.

The book was ok great references but felt dated somehow. His second book was a direct ripoff of last starfighter.

You mean because the author is obsessed with the 1980s? I'll admit I didnt get all the obscure 80s pop culture references book but by no means did the work feel out-dated.

I think its gonna work great - IF THEY STICK TO THE ACTUAL STORY - I'm a little worried that Hollywood gets too loose in their interpretation of the story. They've already Holywoodized it enough by adding a new character - one that isnt related to the book - "F'Nale Zandor" is listed as one of the lead actors on imdb. Also one of the lead characters in the book, Aech (Wade's in-game best friend), seems to be a secondary character in the movie, which is a little concerning.

If Spielberg gets too loose with this movie it could tank. Which is a shame since the book was practically written like a movie script.

Anyone notice the similarities of this poster when compared to a certain other iconic movie?

Back-To-The-Future.jpg

Well Spielberg is directing Ready Player One and he was an Executive Producer on the BTTF Trilogy.

Also Alan Silvestri is scheduled to do the music for Ready Player One and he did the iconic BTTF Trilogy music as well.

Reactions: 1 person
Holy crap this is going to be like a who's who of past & present Warner Bros. properties and what ever other 80's properties they could get rights for.

Just in that clip alone I spotted.

Harley Quinn & Deathstroke
BTTF DeLorean
Christine
The A-Team van
Iron Giant

Perfect film for Spielberg - he was the exec producer of the BTTF franchise afterall. It already looks like it's gonna be a hit.

You mean because the author is obsessed with the 1980s? I'll admit I didnt get all the obscure 80s pop culture references book but by no means did the work feel out-dated.

I think its gonna work great - IF THEY STICK TO THE ACTUAL STORY - I'm a little worried that Hollywood gets too loose in their interpretation of the story. They've already Holywoodized it enough by adding a new character - one that isnt related to the book - "F'Nale Zandor" is listed as one of the lead actors on imdb. Also one of the lead characters in the book, Aech (Wade's in-game best friend), seems to be a secondary character in the movie, which is a little concerning.

If Spielberg gets too loose with this movie it could tank. Which is a shame since the book was practically written like a movie script.

Totally agree. Just stick to the book and don't screw it up. This should be a really easy storyline to adapt to film.

End of the day the book wasn't that good. It could've just been a list of old 80s toys and culture that the author remembered. This appears to be the same....put all kinds of old stuff in here and people will love it.

End of the day the book wasn't that good. It could've just been a list of old 80s toys and culture that the author remembered. This appears to be the same....put all kinds of old stuff in here and people will love it.

I agree a lot of people confuse nostalgia with quality.

Nah. The plot is awesome. Take out all the 80s stuff and you still have a cool concept.

VN Store

Back