Kiefer Sutherland as Tom Kirkman
Natascha McElhone as Alex Kirkman
Maggie Q as Hannah Watts
Kal Penn as Seth Wheeler
Italia Ricci as Emily Rhodes
Adan Canto as Aaron Shore
LaMonica Garrett as James Ritter
Tanner Buchanan as Leo Kirkman

Emmy- and Golden Globe-winning actor Kiefer Sutherland (“24”) returns to primetime in a conspiracy thriller as Tom Kirkman, a lower-level cabinet member who unexpectedly becomes president after a devastating attack on Washington. He will struggle to prevent the country and his own family from falling into chaos, as he is thrust into one of the most difficult presidencies in history.

Designated Survivor is from The Mark Gordon Company and ABC Studios.
David Guggenheim is creator and executive producer.
In addition to Guggenheim, the series is executive produced by Simon Kinberg, Kiefer Sutherland, Mark Gordon, Nick Pepper, Suzan Bymel, and Aditya Sood.

How long before Jack Bauer just gets pissed and waterboards Kal Penn's character? :)

Reactions: 1 person
Just saw the preview of this show during the NBA Finals and can't wait. Its hard for him to shed that Jack Bauer persona, but I don't care. You are right, its only a matter of time before Bauer...errrrr.....President Tom Kirkland blows a gasket and rips into Kal Penn.

I think it's going to be good. Surprised how quickly the writers expedited the situation. I doubt it would happen that quickly in a real life circumstance.

I think it's going to be good. Surprised how quickly the writers expedited the situation. I doubt it would happen that quickly in a real life circumstance.

Eh think how quick Johnson was sworn in, and there was no pending national disaster. Government needs continuity so it needs to happen as quickly as possible.

Lyndon Johnson was sworn in exactly 2 hours and 8 minutes after Pres. Kennedy was assassinated.

Andrew Johnson was sworn in around two and half to three and half hours after Lincoln died.

Maggie Q is so hot, I love that she's in this! Nikita on the CW was an awesome show.

Solid premiere episode, I want more. While I was watching it I found myself looking at every character thinking they had something to do with it. Kiefer felt guilty at one point, his big eyed wife seemed guilty, that secret service guy was guilty, that dude over there was guilty.

Neither my wife or I could 'suspend disbelief' as there were too many silly plot fails. Some, like "The Big Bad General proving The Spooky Military are War Mongers" that look to be future plotline to "The Veranda of the White House Is SOOO Peaceful with the Capitol Dome on Fire" for "Designated Survivor Just Now President who Evidently Escaped his Bodyguards" for a "Commune With Nature where Enemy With RPG's Could Blow His Shizz to Smithereens"

Really, just one plot fail bit of goofyness after another. We tried, we really tried. But we got to talking about anything.

So I'd rate it "Sticky Mush" on the Rotten Tomato Splatometer.

Oh Wait ... with "Son the Drug Dealer with Conviction whose Also Mature for His Years" ... is this a comedy?

I thought it was ok but I'm skeptical they can sustain a series on the premise.

The premise is fine. And I was excited about it from the lead up. Designated Survivor is a real thing during the State of the Union. If the directing and choice of subplots improves (as if written by an adult) it can do as well as the two movies about attacks on the White House or the one out now where is the leaders of the world at Parliment. If it's done really well it will get two or four seasons. I don't know how long the interest in the major premise can be strung out.

The premise is fine. And I was excited about it from the lead up. Designated Survivor is a real thing during the State of the Union. If the directing and choice of subplots improves (as if written by an adult) it can do as well as the two movies about attacks on the White House or the one out now where is the leaders of the world at Parliment. If it's done really well it will get two or four seasons. I don't know how long the interest in the major premise can be strung out.

Considering the 2 movies I think you're talking about were pretty bad, I wouldn't call that a ringing endorsement.

I'll be shocked if it lasts more than 2 seasons. Part of the problem will be getting people to accept KS isn't Jack Bauer anymore.

I thought it was ok but I'm skeptical they can sustain a series on the premise.

True, realistically you could only sustain a decapitated government/rebuilding for 1-2 years (of screen time) a couple election and appointment cycles to get everything refilled. After that it would eventually get back to routine presidential stuff. Just another "west wing" type show.

Way too many sub-plots from the Alexander (I'm in charge) Haig type general to the my son's a drug dealer. I think it's DOA.

Way too many sub-plots from the Alexander (I'm in charge) Haig type general to the my son's a drug dealer. I think it's DOA.

It'll have to tank if it is.

It did pretty good in the ratings (2.2/8 in the 18-49 demo) (10.04 - million viewers)

VN Store

Back