Turn Table and Digital Piano Player Recommendations

DyronNix

(1) I am looking for your recommendations on an intro-level record player or turn table (or whatever they are appropriately called these days). It would need to have built-in speakers. I came across some of my old vinyl LPs the other day with nothing to play them on. However, I have been intrigued for some time about collecting a few vinyl records in the future here and there. I have been looking at some of the portables with speakers built-in, but have no concept of what is good and what is junk. Probably in the $100-150 range (would pay a little more to get good quality sound/speakers).

(2) Also looking for recommendations on intro-level keyboard/digital piano player. Probably $50-100 range here. I have zero ability on the piano/keyboard but would like to tinker around with one. For those with the knowledge, do you recommend a full-sized or is it better to learn on a cut-down version. There is a 44-key casio mini-keyboard I've seen advertised on line but have no clue if a less than fully keyed version helps or hinders trying to learn how to play.

Thanks in advance.

(1) I am looking for your recommendations on an intro-level record player or turn table (or whatever they are appropriately called these days). It would need to have built-in speakers. I came across some of my old vinyl LPs the other day with nothing to play them on. However, I have been intrigued for some time about collecting a few vinyl records in the future here and there. I have been looking at some of the portables with speakers built-in, but have no concept of what is good and what is junk. Probably in the $100-150 range (would pay a little more to get good quality sound/speakers).

Not exactly sure what your reason is for built in speakers only, or what your definition of good quality sound is, but the sound on most of them isn't exactly going to be top notch. I don't have any personal experience with the all-in-ones but I've read a few articles and the name I hear the most is Crosley, here's a link to their turntable selection:

Shop Turntables | Crosley Radio

Obviously not all of those are the all-in-one variety but there are are a few options that might be in the price range you are looking for.

I will say though that, if the price point is the real reason you are looking at the built ins, you can probably spend in that same neighborhood if you do a little digging and build piecemeal. Perfectly functional used turntables and speakers can be found at thrift stores or if you have a local vinyl store. I know someone with three or four great turntables that were found all at yard sales. The one thing this is usually a little more difficult to find as cheaply (in my experience) is the receiver with the phono input. I know there are some mini receivers that can work as well, some for as little as $20, but I've never used one so I can't really comment on their quality.

(2) Also looking for recommendations on intro-level keyboard/digital piano player. Probably $50-100 range here. I have zero ability on the piano/keyboard but would like to tinker around with one. For those with the knowledge, do you recommend a full-sized or is it better to learn on a cut-down version. There is a 44-key casio mini-keyboard I've seen advertised on line but have no clue if a less than fully keyed version helps or hinders trying to learn how to play.

Thanks in advance.

If you can get a full size keyboard, you'll be better off in the long run. Western music only has 12 notes within each octave (pitch range). So, if you can learn the 12 notes you'll find they are the same notes up and down the keyboard, just at higher or lower pitches.

Not exactly sure what your reason is for built in speakers only, or what your definition of good quality sound is, but the sound on most of them isn't exactly going to be top notch. I don't have any personal experience with the all-in-ones but I've read a few articles and the name I hear the most is Crosley, here's a link to their turntable selection:

Shop Turntables | Crosley Radio

Obviously not all of those are the all-in-one variety but there are are a few options that might be in the price range you are looking for.

I will say though that, if the price point is the real reason you are looking at the built ins, you can probably spend in that same neighborhood if you do a little digging and build piecemeal. Perfectly functional used turntables and speakers can be found at thrift stores or if you have a local vinyl store. I know someone with three or four great turntables that were found all at yard sales. The one thing this is usually a little more difficult to find as cheaply (in my experience) is the receiver with the phono input. I know there are some mini receivers that can work as well, some for as little as $20, but I've never used one so I can't really comment on their quality.

The reason I am looking for an "all in one" record player is because I don't own a receiver or stereo system or even stereo speakers anymore. Plus it is not something I am going to be heavily invested in, but would like to have a simple record player around the house. More than anything my wife would kill me if I set up speakers and a record player/stereo system in the house. I am envisioning something simple I can take out, plug in and put back into the closet when finished.

I do have pretty decent speakers on my computer so I wonder if there are players out there that I could USB to my computer? I'm sure, but it never occurred to me until just now.

If you can get a full size keyboard, you'll be better off in the long run. Western music only has 12 notes within each octave (pitch range). So, if you can learn the 12 notes you'll find they are the same notes up and down the keyboard, just at higher or lower pitches.

Thanks for the info. You answered the question that I didn't really know how to ask.

Here you go

a6f58aa51d9320f505987dd1dc89222663fe253d7d251d50a2bde3c1a181e585.jpg

I do have pretty decent speakers on my computer so I wonder if there are players out there that I could USB to my computer? I'm sure, but it never occurred to me until just now.

Yep, just have to make sure the turntable has a USB port (obviously). Good thing for you if you decide to go that route is that you could stay within your price range and get a better turntable because you wouldn't have to worry about factoring in the cost of any additional hardware.

I really like my audio technichna model. It's belt driven, so they kept it cheap. No built in speakers, but you can find nice bookshelf speakers for cheap too that will more than do the job.

I bought a vintage Zenieth stereo console recently. The radio works great but the turn table is busted. My plan is to refurbish it with modern electronics. Already hit a major roadblock. The space for the AV receiver is only 14.5" wide but all modern receivers are 17.1".

On the keyboard, I would recommend learning on full sized, weighted keys, if possible.

I bought a vintage Zenieth stereo console recently. The radio works great but the turn table is busted. My plan is to refurbish it with modern electronics. Already hit a major roadblock. The space for the AV receiver is only 14.5" wide but all modern receivers are 17.1".

Look for an older TEAC AG or AH series. I think they were only about 14" wide.

I really like my audio technichna model. It's belt driven, so they kept it cheap. No built in speakers, but you can find nice bookshelf speakers for cheap too that will more than do the job.

For a USB turntable the I agree. Probably the best solution for the OP; not only can he play albums through his computer but he can convert albums to MP3s too.

The built in preamp and USB connectivity are worth it.

VN Store

Back