The Magnificent Seven (September 23, 2016)

CagleMtnVol

The Magnificent Seven

Release Date: September 23, 2016

MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated

Distributor: Sony/Columbia

Director: Antoine Fuqua (Tears of the Sun, Olympus Has Fallen, The Equalizer)

Screenplay by: John Lee Hancock (The Alamo (2004), The Blind Side, Saving Mr. Banks) Nic Pizzolatto (AMC's The Killing, HBO's True Detectives)

Starring:
Denzel Washington
Chris Pratt
Ethan Hawke
Vincent D'Onofrio
Lee Byung-hun
Peter Sarsgaard
Haley Bennett
Matt Bomer
Cam Gigandet
Luke Grimes
Martin Sensmeier
Manuel Garcia Rulfo
Sean Bridgers
Billy Slaughter
Vinnie Jones

Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt and the gang in new Magnificent Seven images

Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt and the gang in new Magnificent Seven images

The latest iteration of The Magnificent Seven is on the way, and this one features the likes of Chris Pratt, Denzel Washington, Ethan Hawke and Vincent D’Onofrio.

the-magnificent-seven-washington-pratt.jpg

With Antoine Fuqua in the director's chair for the this one, the film promises to see a small town – in this case Rose Creek, built around a gold mine – threatened by a ruthless baron and his gang of thugs. When they kill several people in their attempt to take the place over, a young widow (Haley Bennett) hires a bounty hunter (Washington) to dispatch the bad guys, supplying him with the necessary funds to hire six gunmen to help him in his mission. Which is where Pratt and others come into play. Included in the line-up alongside those we've mentioned are Lee Byung-Hun, Martin Sensmeier and Manuel Garcia-Rulfi, who are going up against the villainy of Peter Sarsgaard.

the-magnificent-seven-cast-1.jpg

John Lee Hancock and True Detective’s Nic Pizzolatto are among those who have contributed to the screenplay, adapted from the classic Seven Samurai, which became the first crack at a Magnificent Seven in 1960. The new film will be out on September 23 and we can likely expect a trailer soon.

I'd liken this to an evening with Mozart at the symphony, as jointly arranged by Kesha, Justin Bieber, and Nicki Minaj. Nothing but a grubbing abomination trying to suck a few shekels out of the baby boomers' pockets before they're gone.

Next up, Charles Foster Kane meets up with Rick Blaine and Tom Joad for a hilarious bachelor party weekend in the middle of a vampire zombie apocalypse.

The Magnificent Seven | official trailer #1 (2016)
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA2Xmwc8WkA[/YouTube]

The Magnificent Seven | Official Trailer #2 (2016)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nUdtCfJh-w[/youtube]

Looks great. I love Denzel, in a very straight way!

Wife and I went to see it yesterday. Good, not great. A few cheesy spots, but I kind of expect some in a western, even one made today. Saarsgard was good, was hoping to see him really encapsulate the villain role the way that Chrisoph Waltz was able to with Landa in Inglourious Basterds, but that's a tall request for anyone. Denzel is Denzel, he kills every role he's cast in. Chris Pratt, meh, he wasn't bad, he just didn't sell me in his roll. Sometimes it's hard to loose the lovable funny guy typecast (note, I've not seen Jurassic World). I did enjoy the remaining 5 actors cast. Hindsight, unless you're a really big fan of Denzel, Chris Pratt, the original, or westerns in general, I wouldn't bother with the theater, definitely worth a rental watch though.

VN Store

Back