Marvel's Cloak and Dagger (Freeform)

CagleMtnVol

Marvel's Cloak and Dagger

Network: Freeform

Freeform is venturing into the Marvel universe.

The younger-skewing Disney-owned network has greenlit “Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger” with a straight-to-series order, Variety has exclusively learned.

Described as a superhero love story, “Cloak and Dagger” is based on the titular comic book duo (also known as Tandy Bowen and Tyrone Johnson) who have appeared in Marvel Comics classics, including “Spiderman” and “X-Men” stories.

The live-action interracial romance follows the duo, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers while falling in love — Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging.

No writer has been attached to the series, but the search is currently under way. Marvel Television and ABC Signature Studios will co-produce.

The characters’ story is targeted toward young adults, making “Cloak and Dagger” a seamless fit for Freeform (previously ABC Family) whose target audience is “Becomers,” the 14-34 demo.

Marking the network’s first-ever Marvel series, Freeform is following in the footsteps of big sister net ABC, which has a slew of Marvel properties on its slate including “Agents of SHIELD” and “Agent Carter,” plus Mockingbird spinoff “Marvel’s Most Wanted” and a top-secret Marvel project from John Ridley in development. Getting Freeform into the Marvel game is a smart move for Disney-ABC, as the cable network is held to lower ratings standards than a big broadcast network. (ABC has struggled with ratings for “Agent Carter,” which remains on the bubble in the wake of critical praise.)

Superhero fare is a new genre for Freeform, which recently pushed into fantasy fare with “Shadowhunters.” That drama was just renewed for a second season, and “Cloak and Dagger” will pair nicely with the saga series, broadening the net’s programming.

Finally....after 22 years dabney cormain can revised his legendary role.

Oh...wait...

This has finally started getting some movement..

Today Marvel and Freeform have announced they have found their Cloak and Dagger for the new straight-to-series coming-of-age live-action drama based on the Marvel characters. Former Disney Channel star Olivia Holt and Aubrey Joseph have landed the leads in the new Freeform drama series Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger.

Olivia Holt (19, Born in Germantown, TN) starred in the Disney XD series Kickin' It, Disney Channel Original Movie Girl vs. Monster, and the Disney Channel Original Series I Didn't Do It.

Aubrey Joseph co-starred in the film Run All Night (2015) & the HBO series The Night of

Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger follows the interracial romance between Tandy Bowen (Holt) and Tyrone Johnson (Joseph), who come from starkly different backgrounds, each growing up with a secret they never dared share with another soul. Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart — but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging.

“The characters of Tandy and Tyrone have always stood out to me ever since I first met them in the pages of Marvel comics when I was a boy,” said Cloak & Dagger executive producer/showrunner Joe Pokaski. “When Olivia and Aubrey read for the roles, these characters leapt off the page. We’re so excited to see what these talented young actors bring to the Marvel Universe.”

“Marvel is delighted to have found our “Cloak & Dagger,” said Jeph Loeb, Head of Marvel Television and Executive Producer. “Olivia Holt and Aubrey Joseph encompass the true essence of the characters and we are excited for the audience to see them in these roles.”

Here is more info on the two characters:

Tandy* (Oliva Holt – “Dagger”) Once a privileged little girl, Tandy Bowen watched as her family was destroyed by a disastrous storm that uprooted her life. Now in her late teens, an unexpected encounter with a boy named Tyrone sparks a life changing event.

Tyrone (Aubrey Joesph – “Cloak”) * Young Tyrone Johnson wanted nothing more than to prove he was fearless. But when everything he held close was taken away, life taught Tyrone to be afraid. Now older and more sheltered, Tyrone closes himself off. But when he meets a girl named Tandy his life changes Forever.

Sorry I let this sneak up!

Marvel's Cloak & Dagger Premiers Tonight at 8PM Eastern/7 Central on FreeForm with two Back to Back Episodes!.

FYI.... The girl Olivia Holt who plays Tandy/Dagger was born in Germantown, TN.

This is supposed to be in the MCU; I wonder if they'll make any references. My guess is it will be more like Runaways on Hulu, where they really didn't make much of any.

Hell, they hardly make references in the Netflix show.

Do they really need to though? These characters have their own stories to tell. A casual mention to let you know they share same world then move on.

Unless of course they wanted to do an episode tying into IW and dealing with who in their life got dusted.

Reactions: 1 person
Do they really need to though? These characters have their own stories to tell. A casual mention to let you know they share same world then move on.

Unless of course they wanted to do an episode tying into IW and dealing with who in their life got dusted.

Yeah, I just want some easter egg type references where they merely make it clear they are in the same universe. I really don't want any real crossover.

Back when the MCU started and they said they will go into TV shows I wanted them all interacting, but 10 years later I'm fine with them just merely existing in the same universe but mostly being their own thing; especially after seeing how hard it was to merely get all the movie characters together.

I watched the first 2 episodes. Not bad; it clearly is aimed towards a more young adult demo but it's not so much that older adults can't enjoy it.

Apparently 2 connections to the overall MCU have already been pointed out: the Roxxon Corp in the show has been mentioned in all 3 Iron Man movies, Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, Daredevil, and Iron Fist, and the Darkforce Dimension also was in SHIELD and Agent Carter. The showrunner said this season has "over a dozen" easter eggs and references to the overall MCU.

If they do any crossever with another MCU entity, seemslike The Runaways would be the best fit.

Why is this on Freeform? How random is that?

Freeform is owned by ABC, which is owned by Disney. Since the show is catered more towards YA and Freeform as a whole is more of a YA network, that's why they put it on there.

Freeform is owned by ABC, which is owned by Disney. Since the show is catered more towards YA and Freeform as a whole is more of a YA network, that's why they put it on there.

I've always thought the WB aka CW was always YA. Name a show you ever watched that was on Freeform.

I've always thought the WB aka CW was always YA. Name a show you ever watched that was on Freeform.

The only thing I've ever remembered watching on Freeform is when they have their Harry Potter marathons.

Well Pretty Little Liars was on it but it started when it was still called ABC Family.

Over the past couple of years I have watched Shadowhunters which is based on The Mortal Instruments although I missed this past season it was better than the movie.

I also just finished up the 10-episode first season of Siren about people finding out that Mermaids exists and that the Military is capturing them. It was just renewed for 16 episode 2nd season.

First season has been pretty good, and they were just renewed for a Season 2.

Also last night they made reference to Luke Cage/The Defenders. The female detective O'Reilly had already established she was a transplant from Harlem and her and another cop witnessed Tyrone do his Cloak thing. The one cop talked about Cloak's "abilities" and O'Reilly said she had already seen stuff in NY and she would tell him about her friend "Misty", which is Misty Knight.

i thought this show was awful. waaaaay too slow to develop. and some of the characters really make no sense. probably a reason this is on FF instead of something else imo. the best character in this show was the guy that was catatonic, when they got inside his head. he was awesome.

i thought this show was awful. waaaaay too slow to develop. and some of the characters really make no sense. probably a reason this is on FF instead of something else imo. the best character in this show was the guy that was catatonic, when they got inside his head. he was awesome.

I'll give you it's been a bit slow to develop.

Just finished Season 2 and uh.....yeah. This is officially the worst MCU show not named The Inhumans. Season 1 was already pretty slow but it was still pretty decent. But Season 2 is every slower and overall just not very good. The main bad guy is not believable and honestly the guy playing him wasn't very good. But I honestly blame the writing because the main actors were way worse this season too.

It probably won't be cancelled because its on Freeform which is owned by Disney. And yeah it's aimed at a younger demo but even still it's much worse than The Runaways on Hulu which is also a younger demo. In fact they should just merge the shows.

VN Store

Back