MacGyver (CBS) (Reboot)

CagleMtnVol

I think this is some pretty good news!

CBS Finds Its New 'MacGyver' in 'X-Men' Star

CBS Finds Its New 'MacGyver' in 'X-Men' Star

Lucas Till will take on the character originally made famous by Richard Dean Anderson.

Following a lengthy and extensive casting search, CBS has found its new MacGyver.

X-Men alum Lucas Till has been tapped to take on the character that was originally made famous by Richard Dean Anderson, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Additionally, Joshua Boone has joined the drama pilot as a series regular.

CBS' MacGyver is described as a reimagining of the television series of the same name. It follows a 20-something MacGyver (Till) as he gets recruited into a clandestine organization where he uses his knack for solving problems in unconventional ways to help prevent disasters from happening.

Till recently wrapped X-Men: Apocalypse, where he plays mutant Havok. He's also set as the lead in Paramount's Monster Trucks. The actor, who was born into a military family and raised by his father (a lieutenant colonel and aviation task force commander in the Army), he started his career on the set of Walk the Line. He's repped by APA, manager Tom Sullivan and Hirsch Wallerstein.

The casting caps a weekslong search by CBS that was complicated by the fact that the network picked up the pilot without a script after opting for a new pitch from a different writer who was initially attached to the project when it was put in development.

Originally written by R. Scott Gemmill (NCIS: L.A.), the new take hails from scribe Paul Downs Colaizzo (CBS pilot LFE from last season) and Brett Mahoney (Code Black). Henry Winkler, who executive produced the original series, is on board to serve in the same capacity alongside Michael Clear, head of production at James Wan's Atomic Monster. Wan (Aquaman, Mortal Kombat, Saw) will exec produce and segue into TV with the project.

The reboot landed at CBS in October with what sources say was a hefty put-pilot commitment. The drama, produced in-house at CBS Television Studios, comes as insiders say executives at the studio are high on bringing back a title from their library. David Von Ancken will direct the pilot and exec produce alongside original MacGyver creator Lee Zlotoff.

Boone, meanwhile, will take on the role of Gunner, MacGyver's best friend from high school. He's repped by Abrams.

Till and Boone join a cast that also includes CSI grad George Eads.

There is one thing CBS knows how to do and that is action shows. If they are able to do what they did when they rebooted Hawaii Five-0 then this will be a success as well. IMO

Attachments

• mcgyver.jpg
    mcgyver.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
As long as its not corny as hell and MacGyver has clever solutions in each episode, I can't see it flopping.

Reactions: 1 person
macgruber-2.png

Reactions: 4 people
As long as its not corny as hell and MacGyver has clever solutions in each episode, I can't see it flopping.

Like I said I think CBS knows how to do reboots well if they follow the same guide they used for H50.

By the way if you were a fan of the MacGyver and your not watching itor have seen it then check out Scorpion on CBS!

NBC can bring back ALF. Things on New Melmac don't work out and he moves back in with the Tanners. Kinda like the other group of Tanners who just a reboot

It made it!

CBS announced today that MacGyver is one of its drama pickups for next season.
It however will see some changes as apparently they will be recasting all characters except MacGyver himself Lucas Till (X-Men: First Class) and the George Eads (CSI) character.

Thus possibly pushing it till mid-season.

My son and I watched it last night. It wasn't bad. He enjoyed it, and I thought it was ok. Nothing really great about it, but nothing too bad either. About like a typical pilot episode, we'll just have to wait and see where it goes.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought it was pretty good. I'll watch it again before next week's episode as I was trying to catch any "Easter eggs" in relation to the original.

It did do very well in the ratings for a Friday night.

The premiere of “MacGyver” led CBS to an across-the-board win Friday, scoring the night’s best ratings in both adults 18-49 (1.7) and total viewers (10.89 million). It was the best performance by a Friday scripted series since “Hawaii Five-0” put up a 1.8 in January 2014.

My son and I watched it last night. It wasn't bad. He enjoyed it, and I thought it was ok. Nothing really great about it, but nothing too bad either. About like a typical pilot episode, we'll just have to wait and see where it goes.

This is how I feel about it as well.

Really enjoyed last night's episode. It was a lot of fun.

Just one problem I want to see less Jack and more of the computer hacker! :wub:

Really enjoyed last night's episode. It was a lot of fun.

Just one problem I want to see less Jack and more of the computer hacker! :wub:

I keep forgetting this one. I'll have to watch after church tonight.

Some of the stuff I can buy but them falling out of that window with that tiny air bag/body bag and the fire extinguisher just would not work. Otherwise, the show is kind of fun.

VN Store

Back