Highly Rated Films That You Didn't Like

VolnJC

You ever have friends or family bugging you to watch a film or you get baited by great reviews only to wonder what the big deal was all about?
Here are a few films that are considered great that I didn't care for

The Grapes of Wrath..considered one of the best...seemed like a lot of propaganda to me. The government was portrayed by a guy that looked like everyone's grandfather and the union teamsters were heroes who buy poor kids candy
Jim-Rawley.jpg

Inception- Not sure I fully understood it and then became bored and in the end I just wanted to dream it away :)

Django Unchained...bloody western that didn't seem to have much of a plot..Christoph Waltz was good but he is good in everything

The Big Lebowski..except maybe for Barton Fink, this is my least fave Coen Brothers film..could be that they wasted the talents of Steve Buscemi and John Turtorro in meaningless roles

Last edited:
I loved Django, but i finally saw Reservoir Dogs and didn't see what all the hype was about.

Fight Club also.

You ever have friends or family bugging you to watch a film or you get baited by great reviews only to wonder what the big deal was all about?
Here are a few films that are considered great that I didn't care for

The Grapes of Wrath..considered one of the best...seemed like a lot of propaganda to me. The government was portrayed by a guy that looked like everyone's grandfather and the union teamsters were heroes who buy poor kids candy
Jim-Rawley.jpg

Inception- Not sure I fully understood it and then became bored and in the end I just wanted to dream it away :)

Django Unchained...bloody western that didn't seem to have much of a plot..Christoph Waltz was good but he is good in everything

The Big Lebowski..except maybe for Barton Fink, this is my least fave Coen Brothers film..could be that they wasted the talents of Steve Buscemi and John Turtorro in meaningless roles

Loved loved Django. Big Lebowski is also one of my favorites. Never seen Grapes of Wrath. I read it fairly recently though and I dislike the book for similar reasons you dislike the film.

A recent example in my life of this phenomenon you mentioned is Mad Max Fury Road. Got great reviews and everybody I know loved it. I watched the whole movie with indifference and eventually, realizing I didn't care about the ending, turned it off and put in a different movie.

Matrix
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Godfather
Smokey and the Bandit II and III
True Grit with Jeff Bridges

Reactions: 1 person
Avatar, though as time goes on the feelings on it seems to have cooled.

Forrest Gump. I still like it enough but it's very overrated and Shawshank Redemption should have won Best Picture that year.

Lincoln.

Terms of Endearment put me to sleep. I almost wished for death, but the nap was sufficient.

It Follows was touted as one of the best horror movies in years; it was average at best IMO

No Country for Old Men
The Departed
Burn After Reading
Reservoir Dogs

VN Store

Back