Six - Navy Seal Drama (History)

CagleMtnVol

This could be really good! A lot of good names involved!

History Orders Navy SEAL Drama Series ‘Six’

History Orders Navy SEAL Drama Series ‘Six’

History is making a push in original scripted series with two follow-up series to its breakout Vikings. On the heels of the 10-episode straight-to-series order to the Crusades-themed historical drama Knighfall, executive produced by Jeremy Renner, the cable network has greenlighted Six, an eight-episode contemporary military action drama
from A+E Studios and The Weinstein Company.

Written by Oscar-nominated screenwriter and Vietnam veteran William Broyles (Castaway, Jarhead) and his son David Broyles, a military special operations veteran, Six follows a Navy SEAL Team, whose 2014 mission to eliminate a Taliban leader in Afghanistan goes awry when they uncover a U.S. citizen working with the terrorists. Stemming from an idea by Harvey Weinstein, the drama is inspired by real missions, capturing SEALs’ complex personal lives and the life-and-death decisions they make, with each season set in a different location, starting with Africa.

Why Africa? “The idea originally came to me when I read about Boko Haram kidnapping schoolchildren in Africa,” Weinstein said. “I thought about how our world would react, and it brought on the idea of creating a series about the world of SEAL Team Six because the story felt as poignant and timely as ever. Each year will feature a different theater of war – the first starting in Africa.”

The Broyleses then were brought in to develop the idea and write a script using their firsthand experience. “Six is a series that recognizes this country’s great heroes and soldiers, and there’s no doubt that it will make for some of the most important, provocative television seen in ages,” Weisnstein added.

Six is executive produced by William Broyles, David Broyles, Harvey and Bob Weinstein, Alfredo Barrios, Jr. (Burn Notice) and George W. Perkins (Live from Baghdad). Bruce C. McKenna (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) will serve as Executive Consultant, and join Barrios, William and David Broyles, and Karen Campbell (Dexter) in writing the episodes. Retired U.S. Navy SEAL Mitchell Hall (Zero Dark Thirty, Lone Survivor) will serve as the series’ technical adviser.

“The backdrop surrounding this elite team of American soldiers – from their lives at home to the astonishing bravery they display serving our country – provides an amazing canvas for stories that deserve to be told,” said Paul Buccieri, President of A&E and History. Added Jana Bennett, President & General Manager of History: “Six represents the type of authenticity History values from our creative and writing teams. This series will reflect the network’s renewed focus on core programming which embraces our recent history as well as our deeper past.”

At A+E Studios, Six joins UnReal for Lifetime and Knightfall.

William Broyles and David Broyles are repped by Paradigm and attorneys Gretchen Rush and Barry Littman.

Last edited:
They aren't wasting time on this!

‘Six’: Juan Pablo Raba Cast In History’s Navy SEAL Drama

Colombian actor Juan Pablo Raba has signed on to History’s military action drama series Six.

Written by Oscar-nominated screenwriter and Vietnam veteran William Broyles (Castaway, Jarhead) and his son David Broyles, a military special operations veteran, Six follows a Navy SEAL Team Six, whose 2014 mission to eliminate a Taliban leader in Afghanistan goes awry when they uncover a U.S. citizen working with the terrorists. Raba will play Ricky “Buddha” Ortiz, one of the veterans on Seal Team Six.

Raba is currently shooting feature 7 Years in Madrid, Spain. He was recently seen in Narcos, The 33, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD and will next be seen in indie drama Shot Caller.

I completely overlooked that Joe Manganiello was originally going to be in this!

Walton Goggins To Star In ‘Six’, Replacing Joe Manganiello, History Series To Restart Production

Walton Goggins To Star In ‘Six’, Replacing Joe Manganiello, History Series To Restart Production

Justified and The Shield alum Walton Goggins is set to star in Six, History’s eight-episode contemporary military action drama from A+E Studios and The Weinstein Co. He replaces Joe Manganiello, who was originally cast in the role but had to abruptly pull out last week over a health issue after filming almost two episodes. Production, which was shut down while the role was being recast, is slated to resume at the end of next week. Manganiello’s scenes will be reshot with Goggins.

Inspired by current events, Six is about an elite team of Navy SEALs whose 2014 mission to eliminate a Taliban leader in Afghanistan goes awry when they uncover a U.S. citizen working with the terrorists. Goggins will play Rip Taggart, the one-time leader of the SEAL team SIX squad who now patrols an African village to protect its residents from Boko Haram.

Six reunites Goggins with the Weinstein Co. after recently co-starring in the company’s Quentin Tarantino movie The Hateful Eight. He currently stars opposite Danny McBride in the new HBO dark comedy series Vice Principals, which will debut in July 2016.

Goggins, who also recurred on Sons of Anarchy, is repped by ICM Partners and manager Darris Hatch.

Finally! The article however fails to mention just how many episodes/scenes had to be re-shot with Goggins taking over Manganiello's role!

‘Six’: History’s Military Drama Gets 2017 Premiere Date

History’s military drama series SIX finally has a deployment date. The cable net said today that the eight-episode first season of the show that follows the members of Navy SEAL Team Six will premiere at 10 PM ET on January 18.

Vice Principals star and Justified alum Walton Goggins toplines the series, which follows the modern American warriors as their covert mission to eliminate a Taliban leader in Afghanistan goes awry when they uncover a U.S. citizen working with terrorists. It starts with troop leader Richard “Rip” Taggart (Goggins) making a questionable decision while on a mission. Two years later, he is captured by Boko Haram and it’s up to his former SEAL Team Six brothers – led by Barry Sloane, Kyle Schmid and Juan Pablo Raba – to put their differences aside to locate and rescue their former leader. Edwin Hodge, Dominic Adams, Brianne Davis, Nadine Velazquez, Jaylen Moore, Donny Boaz and Nondumiso Tembe also star.

Production on the straight-to-series project was halted in April when lead Joe Manganiello abruptly departed during filming over a health issue. Goggins took over the role four days later, and production resumed soon after. The series originally was set to premiere back in July.

William Broyles and David Broyles created Six, which is executive produced by William Broyles, Harvey Weinstein, Bob Weinstein, David Glasser, Nicolas Chartier, Alfredo Barrios Jr., George W. Perkins, Bruce C. McKenna and Lesli Linka Glatter, who also directs the first two episodes. The series is produced by A+E Studios in association with Weinstein Television.

Last edited:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yLrq1uFwgY[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-nouJUjYq0[/youtube]

The first two episodes (or 2-hour premier?) is being directed by Lesli Linka Glatter who is a director & producer for Homeland and has directed over 15 Homeland episodes including the 3rd, 4th & 5th Season Premiers along with the 3rd, 4th, 5th & Upcoming 6th Season Finales.

I also finally found online that nearly two full episodes had to be re-shot after Walton Goggins took over the lead role from Joe Manganiello.

Starts tonight at 10, definitely going to check it out, even though I agree that the trailers don't look great.

Goggins will make it a great show. The first season of Justified was average but really improved as Goggins settled into the role of Boyd Crowder.

Reactions: 1 person
"I'm a mother****in Navy SEAL" -

Can't believe they let them get away with that.

They really pushed the envelope on a couple of things for basic cable on this episode.

Since these first two eps were Directed by a Director/Producer from Homeland it will be interesting if that continues since History isn't Showtime.

The show isn't half as bad as I expected. So far I'm liking it.

I've read online other people saying along the same lines and I can't figure out why they thought it would be bad? Just based on the people behind the camera.

The show was created by Harvey Weinstein along with Oscar-nominated screenwriter and Vietnam vet. William Broyles (Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan, Castaway, Jarhead) and his son David Broyles, a military special operations veteran.

Lesli Linka Glatter the director of the first two episodes is a regular director of (Homeland)

The executive producers have worked on a number of really good films & min-series...

Alfredo Barrios, Jr. (Burn Notice)
George W. Perkins (NBC's The Night Shift, Live from Baghdad) Live from Baghdad is a very good HBO film based on the CNN crew in Iraq covering the first Gulf War in 1991. Starring Michael Keaton,
Helena Bonham Carter, Clarke Gregg, Michael Cudlitz among others, I highly recommend!

Bruce C. McKenna (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) will serve as Executive Consultant, and join Barrios, William and David Broyles, and Karen Campbell (Dexter) in writing the episodes.

Retired U.S. Navy SEAL Mitchell Hall (Zero Dark Thirty, Lone Survivor) will serve as the series’ technical adviser.

They're giving Rip some great lines..."I'm sorry I didn't kill the rest of you m***********s."

I'm not crazy with how they are trying to humanize "Michael", but as long as there's an ultimate payoff with him getting popped I'm ok.

I'm trying to get into this show. The action scenes are pretty good but the drama stateside is a bit too over the top. All of the Virginia Beach scenes were shot in my neighborhood and those are the worst part of the show. There's a political fight here over whether or not to let the film industry continue to get tax breaks. I don't mind strife on the home front in my shows, just don't make it so formulaic. Make some good television here please! Tax breaks will follow!

I'm trying to get into this show. The action scenes are pretty good but the drama stateside is a bit too over the top. All of the Virginia Beach scenes were shot in my neighborhood and those are the worst part of the show. There's a political fight here over whether or not to let the film industry continue to get tax breaks. I don't mind strife on the home front in my shows, just don't make it so formulaic. Make some good television here please! Tax breaks will follow!

I don't watch the show, what neighborhood are you referring to?

Reactions: 1 person
I don't watch the show, what neighborhood are you referring to?

Carolina Beach NC. The beach house, pier and bar are 2 blocks from my house. Some of the restaurant scenes were shot just down the street. It's weird seeing places you see every day in a TV show.
They did some scenes at the city hall one day and changed all the signs on the building from Carolina Beach to Virginia Beach. They didn't change them back right away. I drove by there not knowing that they had been filming there, saw the signs and for a second thought I had lost my mind before I realized what had happened.

VN Store

Back