watching shows and movies on these new TV

joevol320

wanted to see if anyone has gotten the new ultra high def TV's. my uncle got the Samsung curved tv, ultra high def.

watching movies is very odd. the picture is so clear but it doesn't look like a movie.

we were watching hocus pocus with kids and the actors looked like they were on a stage and not in a movie. it has to do with the depth of field, but I can't put my finger on why it's so weird.

has anyone of you guys noticed this?

I new the danger of the title choice when I typed it and the following comments. thanks for getting them out of the way.

didnt think TV was UHD yet. Could be from watchin SD or HD on a TV 10 years ahead of its time?

You should be able to turn off the "live effect" in the TV's settings.

It's funny isn't it? Putting a curve back into a tv seems like a step backwards. The last curved tv screen we all had was a CRT tv.

I have a 4K TV but it's kind of useless at the moment, because there isn't a lot of 4K content yet. I got suckered into buying it because I saw how clear and crisp the picture was at the store. Don't get me wrong the HD still looks beautiful, but everything I have watched in 4K blows it out of the water. Netflix has there own 4K section. Can't wait for the day to watch TV and sports in 4K though.

If I could go back though I would have just bought a bigger LED 1080p tv for around the same price, since that's all I'm really getting out of my 4K TV.

I have a Samsung 55" SUHD - FLAT PANEL - that curved panel crap is for vandy fans.
Couple of things - this tv replaced a 55" plasma that had been professionally calibrated and had a wonderful picture. The only reason I replaced the plasma is, well, let's just call it nerdness.
Once I set the SUHD up, I wasn't that impressed - BUT - once it was calibrated, what a world of difference. The colors really pop - this tv has a much higher dynamic range, whiter whites blacker blacks and a much higher color gamut. In short - this tv rocks. Been watching a lot of my old blurays again and I must say I am impressed.

One thing, no two things - if you are ready to pop for a new tv do your homework. Lot of sellers are dumping 2014 tv's which are not HDMI 2.0 compatible. You will need 2.0 to playback 60fps media (which is the coming standard). The 2.0 standard is basically a bigger pipe with higher bandwidth. And the second thing - curved tv's suck.

I just ordered a new atmos capable receiver to go with this tv and if anybody is interested I'll be glad to offer up an opine. :hi:

wanted to see if anyone has gotten the new ultra high def TV's. my uncle got the Samsung curved tv, ultra high def.

watching movies is very odd. the picture is so clear but it doesn't look like a movie.

we were watching hocus pocus with kids and the actors looked like they were on a stage and not in a movie. it has to do with the depth of field, but I can't put my finger on why it's so weird.

I have the curved and have also noticed a 3D type effect with certain programming. I've been very happy with mine.

I have the curved and have also noticed a 3D type effect with certain programming. I've been very happy with mine.

Oh hell,,I just called you a vandy fan :thud:! Didn't mean to. I guess I just didn't see the appeal in the curved tv. I guess I'm just tuned into the flat panels. What do you think of the TV? Samsung I presume.

Oh hell,,I just called you a vandy fan :thud:! Didn't mean to. I guess I just didn't see the appeal in the curved tv. I guess I'm just tuned into the flat panels. What do you think of the TV? Samsung I presume.

:)

It is the Samsung. I haven't had any complaints so far. I got a great deal on the 55" black Friday week last year. I don't know that the curve makes a huge (if any) difference other than the depth perception. It has seemed to cut down on glare along the sides, but that could just be due to placement.

As far as the curve, I tend to be an early adopter. Like when I got a laserdisc player back in the day. That worked out well. :loco:

For you old man trying to figure out these confangled contraptions!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Just wanted to bump this thread to gauge interest in 4K sets. Most of you good folks that enjoy watching movies at home and are interested in making the jump to 4K - you will not be disappointed. The extra pixels are nice but the added color depth is what really makes these sets stand out. Cannot stress this enough.

For those of you that are interested, do your research. Make sure the set you are looking at is fully HDMI 2.0 compliant - this is not so important today but will be in the very near future when 4K players and movies shot in 60fps are released. Also, your HDMI cables need to be HDMI 2.0 to handle the extra bandwidth.

Since this is the movie section, and has a lot of traction, would it be possible to get this stickied?

Your uncle needs to disable the motion interpolation feature on his TV. That's what's causing movies to have that "soap opera" effect. Every manufacturer calls it something different. Some call it "motion smoothing" some call it "motion flow". It just depends on the manufacturer. Just tell him to go into his settings and look for something along those lines and turn it off. Really the only thing that feature is good for is sports. If you're watching sports, definitely enable it. For everything else, turn it off.

Edit: I just realized how old this thread is LOL! Still it's good information for anyone who needs to know.

Last edited:
I have a 4K TV but it's kind of useless at the moment, because there isn't a lot of 4K content yet. I got suckered into buying it because I saw how clear and crisp the picture was at the store. Don't get me wrong the HD still looks beautiful, but everything I have watched in 4K blows it out of the water. Netflix has there own 4K section. Can't wait for the day to watch TV and sports in 4K though.

If I could go back though I would have just bought a bigger LED 1080p tv for around the same price, since that's all I'm really getting out of my 4K TV.

This!

I don't recommend voluntarily upgrading your tv right now to these newer models. It's just not worth it. There is a huge "get use to this" factor with these newer tv's.

This!

I don't recommend voluntarily upgrading your tv right now to these newer models. It's just not worth it. There is a huge "get use to this" factor with these newer tv's.
At this point, people need to look beyond the 4K tag and look instead at the HDR and 10 bit + color. Superior in every way compared to HD tv. I understand that us early adopters, are, well, always going to purchase the latest gizmo. Most people wouldn't run out and buy a new tv just because it's new - but I highly suggest that anybody that is currently looking for a new tv to absolutely go the 4K route. As far as the "get used to factor" that you are referring too - what's so hard about getting used to outstanding pic quality?

As far as media goes, not a lot out there. Forget streaming as the bandwidth is seriously constrained. My focus is on physical disc's. 4K BD players are available for pre-order, shipping in March. 4K disc's are the same, Martian, for example, is shipping on March 1st.

Finally, I've been watching on a 4K set since October and can tell you, without a doubt, that the pic quality - mostly the color and clarity continue to really impress me. I never thought I would give up my beloved plasma for an lcd, but thanks to the wife and daughter (daughter wanted the plasma) I made the jump. Worth every penny. :hi:

I currently have a 50" 4K Vizio in the living room but I'm wanting to upgrade to a 60" and move the 50" to the bedroom. I love my Vizio, and I'm thinking about getting the same, just in the 60". But I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

For those getting a 4K Ultra Blu-ray player there is a bunch of 4K Blu-ray releases coming up on March 1st!

I think the majority will be 4K Ultra HD-Blu-ray-Digital HD combo packs. The packaging instead of the classic Blue Blu-ray cases will be a black or smokey black color.

They are...

The Martian
Mad Max Fury Road
Sicario
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Wild
X-Men: Days of Future Past
The Maze Runner
The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials
Life of Pi
The Amazing Spider-Man
Chappi
The Last Witch Hunter
Exodus: Gods & Kings
Hancock
Pineapple Express
Salt
Ender's Game
The Expendables 3
Fantastic 4

I currently have a 50" 4K Vizio in the living room but I'm wanting to upgrade to a 60" and move the 50" to the bedroom. I love my Vizio, and I'm thinking about getting the same, just in the 60". But I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Samsung 8500 series is turning a lot of heads. How big is your living room? Or rather, how far do you sit from your tv?

For those getting a 4K Ultra Blu-ray player there is a bunch of 4K Blu-ray releases coming up on March 1st!

I think the majority will be 4K Ultra HD-Blu-ray-Digital HD combo packs. The packaging instead of the classic Blue Blu-ray cases will be a black or smokey black color.

They are...

The Martian
Mad Max Fury Road
Sicario
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Wild
X-Men: Days of Future Past
The Maze Runner
The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials
Life of Pi
The Amazing Spider-Man
Chappi
The Last Witch Hunter
Exodus: Gods & Kings
Hancock
Pineapple Express
Salt
Ender's Game
The Expendables 3
Fantastic 4
I have Samsung's 4k player on early order and will be playing Mad Max and Martian as soon as all arrive. Mad Max is killer in Dolby Atmos.

I have Samsung's 4k player on early order and will be playing Mad Max and Martian as soon as all arrive. Mad Max is killer in Dolby Atmos.

What did you pay may I ask?

I'm going to wait till Black Friday/Christmas sales and see what deals can be found and actually may end up waiting a couple of years for prices to come down.

At this point, people need to look beyond the 4K tag and look instead at the HDR and 10 bit + color. Superior in every way compared to HD tv. I understand that us early adopters, are, well, always going to purchase the latest gizmo. Most people wouldn't run out and buy a new tv just because it's new - but I highly suggest that anybody that is currently looking for a new tv to absolutely go the 4K route. As far as the "get used to factor" that you are referring too - what's so hard about getting used to outstanding pic quality?

I found it extraordinarily difficult to adjust the picture for starters. I'd spend a half hour playing with picture settings only to find that when I finally got it adjusted to where it looked great I'd turn the channel to a different network and it looked completely off. The 4k tv's seem to magnify bad quality signals. For instance, if a commercial comes on that was filmed in lower quality or even standard definition it appears far worse than it would on an older LCD/LED tv. On the older tv's there seemed to be a middle ground when it came to the difference between a bright scene and a dark scene in a show or a movie. On these newer tv's the dark scenes are REALLY dark where the bright scenes are very vibrant. That's just a few things I've experienced since switching.

Samsung 8500 series is turning a lot of heads. How big is your living room? Or rather, how far do you sit from your tv?

I'll look into those. I think we sit about 12-15 feet back from where the TV is? All I know is the 50" just isn't quite doing it. lol

What did you pay may I ask?

I'm going to wait till Black Friday/Christmas sales and see what deals can be found and actually may end up waiting a couple of years for prices to come down.

I was foolish, $399. I'm sure by this fall we'll probably see players in the $250 price range. I was looking at getting the Oppo standard BD player but those babies are $800 plus - and not 4K.

VN Store

Back