Batman the Killing Joke (Animated )

vols72

Following the release of*Justice League: Gods and Monsters, the next DC Entertainment animated feature will be*Batman: The Killing Joke.

Due out in 2016, the story will be an adaptation of the controversial and acclaimed original graphic novel by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. In the comics, The Joker escapes Arkham, shoots and paralyzes Barbara Gordon in order to terrorize her father, Gotham City Police Commissioner Jim Gordon.

There's no word yet on casting -- the film itself was just announced by Bruce Timm at the Comic Con International: San Diego panel for*Justice League: Gods and Monsters*-- but veteran Joker actor Mark Hamill has said in the past that he would un-retire the character for an adaptation of*The Killing Joke...

Reactions: 1 person
The direct to video adaptations have been pretty good but some of these stories would be better served as feature length films.

This has a chance to be phenomenal, and give the non-comic following batman fans a chance to see a side of the batman canon not previously depicted in film.

It will be interesting to see how graphic they go on this! All of the animated films I think have been PG-13 and a few have been borderline "R"! IMO

If you go back and watch the film Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox it was a lot more graphic IMO than either Dark Knight Rises or Man of Steel as Diana not only kills Aquaman's wife but beheads her and while its not shown its heavily implied that she kills Billy Batson (Captain Marvel) and some other kids.

There were also a lot of head shot kills in the film.

It will be interesting to see how graphic they go on this! All of the animated films I think have been PG-13 and a few have been borderline "R"! IMO

If you go back and watch the film Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox it was a lot more graphic IMO than either Dark Knight Rises or Man of Steel as Diana not only kills Aquaman's wife but beheads her and while its not shown its heavily implied that she kills Billy Batson (Captain Marvel) and some other kids.

There were also a lot of head shot kills in the film.

I'm not sure they can tell this story and it not be gory in some scenes.

:) :rock: :dance2: :yahoo: :rock2:

Batman: The Killing Joke Animated Movie Starring Kevin Conroy & Mark Hamill First Look Revealed

Batman: The Killing Joke Animated Movie Starring Kevin Conroy & Mark Hamill First Look Revealed

Mark Hamill has shared the first image Batman: The Killing Joke.

cdisb4hwaaa5ifo-174113.jpg

Hamill tweeted the first still from the upcoming animated adaptation of Alan Moore and Brian Bolland's graphic novel three times, each with a quote from the graphic novel and an additional word, eventually spelling out "THE KILLING JOKE."

According to CBR, Hamill and Kevin Conroy, the definitive voices of the Joker and Batman, respectively, for an entire generation, are now confirmed to reprise their roles for the upcoming animated Batman: The Killing Joke movie. Tara Strong will voice Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, and Ray Wise will voice Commissioner Gordon.

Batman: The Killing Joke will premiere at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con, and will release in stores in the summer of 2016.

’Batman: The Killing Joke’: Kevin Conroy & Mark Hamill Are Officially In

’Batman: The Killing Joke’: Kevin Conroy & Mark Hamill Are Officially In

Last year at San Diego Comic-Con, Bruce Timm (Batman: the Animated Series, Justice League: Unlimited) announced that an animated adapation of the famous Alan Moore storyline “The Killing Joke” was happening as one of the upcoming new DC anmiated films from Warner Bros. Animation. The story, which tells us the origin of Batman’s most famous antagonist, The Joker, is a storyline that Mark Hamill, who has voiced this beloved characters several times, been wanting to do for a long time.

It has been speculated and rumored for a while that Hamill would be reprising the role for this animated film, but the secret is finally out. Comic Book Resources confirmed today that not only is Hamill returning to voice The Joker again, but that his personal Batman, Kevin Conroy will also be back to voice The Dark Knight once more. Hamill talked about his excitement to work with Conroy in a statement to CBR.

“The chance to work once again with Kevin Conroy, my favorite Batman, in what some consider the definitive origin of this iconic villain is a dream come true for me. I am beyond thrilled to return as The Joker in ‘The Killing Joke!’”

Conroy also talked about getting to portray Batman again and what it is like to get to bring his voice into one of the most famous storylines in the Batman mythology.

“I’ve had the great privilege of voicing Batman for more than two decades, and some of my favorite moments in the recording booth have been alongside Mark Hamill. Mark always enables me to be a better actor. I’m thrilled that we’re both back to bring these characters to life in one of the most heralded Batman/Joker stories of all time.”

CBR also revealed that former Harley Quinn voice actress, Tara Strong, will be voicing Barbara Gordon a.k.a. Batgirl while her father Commissioner Gordon will be voiced by Agent Carter’s Ray Wise. Hamill also tweeted out the first official photo featuring him and Conroy as The Joker and Batman respectively from the film, which you can see below.

No release date has been announced yet for Batman: The Killing Joke, it will be screened at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con until it arrives on Blu-Ray/DVD later in the summer.

Batman: The Killing Joke - Official Teaser (Exclusive)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvEZa_dY4Sc[/youtube]

Cue the It's happening gifs!

Batman: The Killing Joke has been rated R!

It sounds like Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment‘s direct-to-video animated adaptation of Batman: The Killing Joke is not joking around. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has accepted the MPAA’s R rating for the upcoming film, choosing to remain true to the landmark DC Comics graphic novel’s violent, controversial story, and making the film the first non-PG/PG-13 rated movie in the nine-year history of the DC Universe Original Movie franchise. There are no plans for a PG-13 version of the film.

Batman: The Killing Joke, one of the best-selling graphic novels in history, tells the tale of The Joker’s origin story – from his humble beginnings as a struggling comic, to his fateful encounter with Batman that changes both of their lives forever. Actors Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprise their Batman: The Animated Series roles as Batman and The Joker, respectively.

“From the start of production, we encouraged producer Bruce Timm and our team at Warner Bros. Animation to remain faithful to the original story — regardless of the eventual MPAA rating,” said Sam Register, president of Warner Bros. Animation & Warner Digital Series. “’The Killing Joke’ is revered by the fans, particularly for its blunt, often-shocking adult themes and situations. We felt it was our responsibility to present our core audience — the comics-loving community — with an animated film that authentically represented the tale they know all too well.”

Written by Alan Moore and drawn by Brian Bolland, Batman: The Killing Joke was published in 1988 and is widely considered to be one of the best comic book stories of all time. The graphic novel offers a version of the Joker’s origin story and follows as the Clown Prince of Crime terrorizes Commissioner Jim Gordon and ultimate paralyzes his daughter, Barbara Gordon. Although the story was not originally supposed to take place in the regular DC Comics continuity, The Killing Joke wound up setting in motion the events that would lead to Barbara Gordon becoming Oracle.

The animated adaptation of Batman: The Killing Joke movie, which is expected to debut on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD later this year, is executive produced by Bruce Timm and will retell the classic tale. It will also feature an original 15-minute prologue that helps set up the story, giving even longtime fans of the story something new to look forward to.

It's been a long time since I've read it but I don't recall anything above PG-13 about it. The original story was about 50 pages so I know they are adding stuff to make a full length film.

Of course I think the MPA has gotten more sensitive over the past 10-15 years. When Disney films like Frozen and Zootopia get PG ratings instead of G then you know the system has skewed. Heck, Force Awakens would have been PG in the 90s.

It's been a long time since I've read it but I don't recall anything above PG-13 about it. The original story was about 50 pages so I know they are adding stuff to make a full length film.

Of course I think the MPA has gotten more sensitive over the past 10-15 years. When Disney films like Frozen and Zootopia get PG ratings instead of G then you know the system has skewed. Heck, Force Awakens would have been PG in the 90s.

My guess is it's not the violence that has it rated R, because, especially in America, we take sex far more cautiously than we do violence when it should probably be the other way around. My guess is its getting the R rating solely for what he actually does to torture Barbara and Commissioner Gordon, or at least, what is heavily implied he also did outside of what he outright admits or they show us.

Batman The Killing Joke - Official Trailer

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmyt1w1W_Y[/YouTube]

This storyline always had a personal bit to me because I read it fully through for the first time after my father died a few years ago. The Joker's soliloquy of "One Bad Day" always stood out to me and then during one of the darkest times of my life it stood out even more because it showed, in real life, that most of us survive those bad days far more often than we realize and, though we may think we will go insane, we never do and we just keep plugging along.

But the most comforting aspect of those truly, disastrously bad days is knowing that if you didn't go insane or give up before, then nothing life throws at you later on will be enough to do it either. And in some ways, that's terrifying all on its own how strong we are.

It was announced today that this will be released on Blu-ray & DVD on Tuesday August 2nd! :rock:

Remade fan trailer to more closely match the Graphic Novel art style.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_r-qsxGiKY[/youtube]

Comparison video
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFEHTAnsmGU[/youtube]

I like the recolors better.

Last edited:
I like the style they chose better. I feel the art style of the original just screams as a product of the time, and though it still holds up as far as comics are concerned, it just doesn't fit live animation as well to me. And the more modern version seems to have fully embraced the gritty/dark feel of the comic as well, and I'm very ok with it.

Wow!

Batman: The Killing Joke made $3,175,000 Monday during special screenings at only 1,325 theaters.

That made BTKJ the 3rd grossing film on Monday ahead of Lights Out, Ghostbusters & Ice Age: Collision Course

Me and my wife saw it last night.....the first fifthteen minutes or so of the movie is completely unnecessary and has nothing to do with the story. Once they get to the actual story it's pretty good.

I love that they got Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. Kevin Conroy should always be the voice for Batman.

I will be watching this.

Picked up my Steel book edition tonight, can't wait to see it

Attachments

• 20160805_184053.jpg
    20160805_184053.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0

VN Store

Back