iZombie (CW)

CagleMtnVol

The CW has picked up iZombie to series!

izombie-big.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: After wrapping his fan-funded Veronica Mars movie, Rob Thomas is reuniting with the film’s co-writer Diane Ruggiero for a zombie drama series project based a DC property. The CW has put in development iZombie, which Thomas and Ruggiero will write based on the characters created by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred and published by DC Comics’ Vertigo imprint. iZombie, from Warner Bros TV and Rob Thomas Prods, is a supernatural crime procedural that centers on a med student-turned-zombie who takes a job in the coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity. But with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories, and with the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head. Thomas and Rugierro, who previously served as an exec producer on Thomas’ series Veronica Mars and Cupid, are executive producing with fellow frequent Thomas collaborators Danielle Stokdyk and Dan Etheridge.

Zombies cannot be hotter at the moment with AMC’s The Walking Dead shattering ratings records and Brad Pitt’s World War Z doing well in theaters recently. Additionally, there are three series projects about loved ones coming back from the dead: Babylon Fields at NBC, a remake of the hit French drama The Returned at A&E, and ABC’s midseason series Resurrection.

Warner Bros TV has been very aggressive developing and selling DC-themed series this season, including the Arrow spinoff The Flash, iZombie and Hourman at the CW, Gotham at Fox with Bruno Heller, and Constantine at NBC with Daniel Cerone and David S. Goyer. They join the recent influx of comic book-themed series including Arrow, The Walking Dead, ABC’s Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the four Marvel series the company just sold to Netflix in a massive deal. This is the second high-profile sale for UTA-repped Thomas this season. He also has a drama inspired by Victor Hugo’s novel Les Misérables at Fox, with Graham Norris writing. WME-repped Ruggiero serves as a consulting producer on A&E’s Bates Motel.

iZombie is based on the comic book series of the same name created by writer Chris Roberson and Michael Allred, published by DC Comics's Vertigo imprint beginning in 2010.

Not excited about this because I actually TRIED watching House of 1000 corpses. It was truly a terrible, terrible movie.

Not excited about this because I actually TRIED watching House of 1000 corpses. It was truly a terrible, terrible movie.

What does that have to do with this??

I'm looking forward to it. From Rob Thomas who did Veronica Mars he reminds me of a poor man's Joss Whedon.

What does that have to do with this??

I'm looking forward to it. From Rob Thomas who did Veronica Mars he reminds me of a poor man's Joss Whedon.

Good point! I think alcohol may have been involved in that last post. I read "zombie" and Rob Thomas and my brain somehow formed "Rob Zombie".

Reactions: 1 person
Comic-Con: ‘iZombie’ More ‘Buffy’ Than ‘Veronica Mars’

Comic-Con: ‘iZombie’ More ‘Buffy’ Than ‘Veronica Mars’

iZombie executive producer and co-creator Rob Thomas told potential fans today at Comic-Con that he wasn’t screening the CW pilot at the fanboy confab because it’s not ready yet. “We’re recasting some of the roles and have three more days to reshoot. We wanted to have a finished product that is ready to air.”

As reported by Deadline on May 20, Alexandra Krosney in the iZombie pilot was being replaced. Krosney played Peyton, the best friend of do-gooder Seattle medical student-turned-zombie-tuned-PI Liv Moore (Rose McIver).

IZombie Comic Con Rose McIverInstead, Thomas and co-creator/EP Diane Ruggiero showed a lengthy clip, where Moore gets turned into a zombie, and winds up assisting the cops solve crimes in the morgue. As murdered folk are wheeled in, she eats their brains, gains their insight and bad tendencies, but all the while, she’s just trying to deal with her zombie-ism. The clip played well with the crowd in Room BCEF, however, with Liv’s narration and the whole murder mystery aspect of the show, one can’t help but think it’s The Veronica Mars Zombie Show.

Addressing the label, Thomas said, “Diane and I have a similar aesthetic in our shows and our dramas have a sense of humor. So I think tonally, we’ll live in that (Veronica Mars) world. iZombie is clearly dialed up with more action. Sometimes fans put Veronica and Buffy The Vampire Slayer in the same category and I would say that this is closer to Buffy.”

“Liv is less snarky than Veronica Mars,” said Ruggiero.

“Veronica has a misanthropic view of the world that Liv doesn’t,” added Thomas.

While the iZombie comic-book features were-terriers and vampires, the creators are keeping their series grounded in the human world with the sole focus being on zombies. “Every week our zombie is in a police morgue which gives us a supply of people being murdered every week,” said Thomas. While Veronica Mars always had one big over-arching mystery in a season, the zombie phenomenon takes the center focus for the first iZombie season. “We learn that Liv is the lynchpin to preventing a zombie apocalypse.”

Kristen Bell was the first actress Thomas saw out of 100 who auditioned for the role of Veronica Mars and he knew immediately she was Veronica. It was the opposite with the character of Liv, who wasn’t cast until nearly the end of the audition process. New Zealand actress McIver , who was present at the panel, was the last of 100 who auditioned for the role.

“I told Rob. I’m getting a pool! This is going to be a hit,” said Ruggiero.

Actor David Anders, who plays evil zombie Blaine, responded, “I just want to make sure I’m good and not being recast.” Also present at the panel — and not being recast — were Rahul Kohli (Liv’s best friend cop doctor Dr. Ravi), Robert Buckley (Mayor Lilywhite) and Malcolm Goodwin (cop associate Clive).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWCyqJv6q7g[/youtube]

Series premiere MARCH 17

Reactions: 1 person
Don't miss the premier episode of IZombie tonight following a new episode of The Flash!
I'll give it a chance since its based on the DC Comic and its a Rob Thomas show.

Early reviews say its a pretty good show.

Rottentomatoes gives it a....
TOMATOMETER = 83% AUDIENCE SCORE = 100%
Average Rating: 7.4/10

Critics Consensus: An amusing variation on the zombie trend, iZombie is refreshingly different, if perhaps too youth-oriented to resonate with adult audiences.

The ratings were solid and its now Certified Fresh on Rottentomatoes with 90% score

[URL="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/izombie/s01/]iZombie Season One[/URL]

watched about 10 minutes of it, and i can definitely say it's not for me. definitely aimed at 18-twentysomethings.

Good News!!

‘iZombie’ Renewed For Season 2 By The CW

‘iZombie’ Renewed For Season 2 By The CW

Having already renewed eight scripted series for next season, the CW just upped the number with a second-season pickup of midseason drama iZombie.

The renewal was fully expected as the offbeat comic book adaptation was well received by critics and is well liked creatively by the network’s brass, who like the chance to be in business with Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas and believe in the breakout potential of star Rose McIver. While not a ratings powerhouse of the magnitude of freshman comic hit The Flash, iZombie has done a decent job in that department and sealed its renewal chances by holding up well when its lead-in, the aforementioned Flash, went into a repeat.

McIver stars in iZombie as Olivia “Liv” Moore, a rosy-cheeked, disciplined, over-achieving medical resident who had her life path completely mapped out — until the night she attended a party that unexpectedly turned into a zombie feeding frenzy. As one of the newly undead, Liv has devised a way to resist her baser urges to devour fresh human brains: She has taken a job in the Seattle coroner’s office. Liv remains resigned to an eternity without hope or purpose, until she realizes that with every brain she consumes, she retains a portion of that person’s memories, and she begins to experience visions from the point of view of the murder victims. It’s not the same as being alive again, but at least she can find purpose in her undead existence by helping to solve the murders of those who are indeed fully dead.

Based upon characters created by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred, and published by DC Entertainment’s Vertigo imprint, iZombie is from Spondoolie Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Developed by Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggiero-Wright, the series is executive produced by Thomas, Ruggiero-Wright, Danielle Stokdyk and Dan Etheridge.

iZombie now joins fellow renewed CW scripted series Arrow, The Flash, Jane The Virgin, Reign, Supernatural, The 100, The Vampire Diaries and The Originals.

The CW is yet to confirm the end of Hart Of Dixie and recent entry The Messengers, which just launched but has been doing too terribly to hold hopes for a second season.

Last edited:
Very good season finale although I wished they would have killed off Major completely. Just not a big fan of the character/actor.

I also didn't like that her friend/roommate wasn't heard from in in the finale after the big reveal!

Very good season finale although I wished they would have killed off Major completely. Just not a big fan of the character/actor.

I also didn't like that her friend/roommate wasn't heard from in in the finale after the big reveal!

Yeah I enjoyed them....watched the last two episodes last night.

watched about 10 minutes of it, and i can definitely say it's not for me. definitely aimed at 18-twentysomethings.

gave this another chance, and i can honestly say, i was wrong. enjoyed it for what it was for sure. some pretty good writing too.

iZombie | Comic-Con® 2017 Video | The CW
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3czXkhMwrPo[/youtube]

VN Store

Back