Ghostbusters 3/Reboot

CagleMtnVol

I decided to just make another new thread with this info as it finally looks like it will happen. I searched and found three "Ghostbusters 3" threads dating all the way to 2009 and the last one had a post in 2011.

The original was one of my favorite films as a kid and always wanted a third one done but with the news a couple of weeks ago I expected to never happen the way I/We wanted it. However as we have seen with Bond, Star Trek, Batman etc... if you couple good actors with a good story and director you can have a great film. So all we have to do now is hope for the best!

I have highlighted some of the best stuff and I hope that with the studio pushing hard to get this done that they take it a little more seriously than some of the possible mentioned (comedic) actors that were rumored for roles in the past couple of tries in getting off the ground.

Third Installment Of ‘Ghostbusters’ A Go For Early 2015; Death Of Pal Harold Ramis Prompts Ivan Reitman To Turn Over Directing Reins

Third Installment Of ‘Ghostbusters’ A Go For Early 2015
Death Of Harold Ramis Prompts Ivan Reitman To Turn Over Directing Reins

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is eyeing an early 2015 production start in New York on its next installment of Ghostbusters. There is a major change, though. In the wake of the death of his close friend and original Ghostbuster Harold Ramis, Ivan Reitman has decided he won’t direct the film, after all. Instead, Reitman will help Amy Pascal find a new director to take over what everyone hopes will reboot what the studio considers to be one of its most important franchises.

In all the years Sony has tried to get this film up and running, Reitman has been the most stable part of the equation, long locked to direct his third installment. This included the long campaign to get Bill Murray to reprise his signature role, when it became impossible to even get him to read a script that Sony, Reitman and their other architect Dan Aykroyd were happy with. It has been clear for a while that Murray wasn’t going to be part of this, and momentum has been building. Then Ramis, a catalyst for some of the biggest film comedies of the 1970s and ’80s, passed away. That has changed everything.

Reitman spoke exclusively with Deadline on his decision,
and I’m going to give him ample room to explain why he changed his mind after so many years of being the primary person pushing this forward.

“There has been all kinds of stuff, unofficially written about Ghostbusters,” Reitman told me. “I’ve been reading things online for about four years, speculation on who’s writing, what they’re writing, who’s in it, who we will use, and who’s directing. We’d decided not to comment up till now, I wasn’t sure what I was going to do, and it was never clear what Bill was going to do. A lot of things happened in the last few months, the most significant of which was the passing of Harold, who was a very good friend who was extraordinarily influential in my career. We did five movies together including both Ghostbusters.”

Reitman confirmed the Murray chase, one that encompassed not one but two scripts.

“The first was done by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, and me, Harold and Dan helped them on it,” Reitman said. “It was a really good script, but then it became clear that Bill really didn’t want to do another Ghostbusters and that it was literally impossible to find him to speak to for the year or two we tried to get it going. When Bill finally…well, he never actually said no, but he never said yes, so there was no way to make that film. We decided to start over again, and I started working with Etan Cohen, with Dan lending a helping hand. Harold got sick about three years ago, and we kept hoping he would get better. I kept pushing forward on the Etan Cohen and we now have a draft that is very good, that the studio is very excited about.

“It’s a version of Ghostbusters that has the originals in a very minor role,” he said. “When I came back from Harold’s funeral, it was really moving and it made me think about a lot of things. I’d just finished directing Draft Day, which I’m really happy with and proud of.
Working on a film that is smaller and more dramatic was so much fun and satisfying. I just finally met with Amy and Doug Belgrad when I got back. I said I’d been thinking about it for weeks, that I’d rather just produce this Ghostbusters. I told them I thought I could help but let’s find a really good director and make it with him. So that’s what we’ve agreed will happen. I didn’t want all kinds of speculation about what happened with me, that is the real story.”

Sony’s Pascal confirmed this. “We totally understood,” she told me. “He was thinking he might feel that way when Harold died, and then came back to us and confirmed it, that while he was excited to return and make the movie as producer, but did not feel he wanted to direct the movie. We are delighted to work with Ivan on this movie in that capacity. We love him, and he’s going to continue to play an important role. We’re very anxious to get the movie started.”

The movie should give Sony a fresh start franchise and building those is a Sony priority, from stalwart James Bond to expanding the Spider-Man universe to rebooting Men In Black, and already commissioning Richard Wenk to write a sequel of the fall release The Equalizer, with Denzel Washington and director Antoine Fuqua game to reprise a movie whose test scores have the studio bullish.

The death of a close friend and collaborator like Ramis can only make one question a lot of things, and Reitman was left feeling that retracing his steps without Ramis being there just didn’t feel right.

“It was such an amazing time in my life 30 years ago, and I felt that way on the second film,” he said. “With Harold no longer with us I couldn’t see it.” Reitman said he’s proud of the way that the film has remained vibrant, even with all the fits and starts and obstacles for production. “It really seems to have resonated, and I think a lot of adults who saw it when they were younger have shown it to their kids and they seem to respond much the same way. Sony sees this as a huge worldwide opportunity, and it is eager to make the film.

Reitman said they are already working on a short list of directors they’ll go out to, and then it will be time to find the new cast. “I’m not going to say how many Ghostbusters there will be in the new cast, but we are determined to retain the spirit of the original film, and I am pleased that all of this seems to have happened organically,” he said. “I’m hoping we can get started by the fall, set in New York, but given the logistics and the stuff that happens, the beginning of 2015 seems more likely.”

I tell Reitman I was around New York during that first movie, when traffic had to be re-rerouted each day near Central Park because of the mayhem created by the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man and the other slimy ghouls that haunted that film.

“I am proud to have a long history of closing big boulevards in New York,” said Reitman. Now he’ll just do it as producer. He’s repped by CAA.

I have highlighted some of the best stuff and I hope that with the studio pushing hard to get this done that they take it a little more seriously than some of the possible mentioned (comedic) actors that were rumored for roles in the past couple of tries in getting off the ground.

The originals were comedies staring comedians. Why would you want then to get away from that?

On a side note: the Ghostbusters soundtrack was the first album I ever purchased (on vinyl!). By "i purchased" I mean my mom let me pick out something at the record store. The jacket was just the GB logo and I couldnt resist. I wish I still had it.

This sounds awful.

The original Ghostbusters in a "minor role", and on top of that, it will only be 2 of them.

Just let it die.

I think they should go in a completely different direction. No sequel, no comedy.

Complete reboot and make it a bada$$, R rated horror film.

They will not best the older movies; especially without Bill Murray. They should take the idea and do something completely different with it.

Give a good name to reboots for once.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I think they should go in a completely different direction. No sequel, no comedy.

They will not best the older movies; especially without Bill Murray. They should take the idea and do something completely different with it.

I agree with the complete reboot but it will and should be PG13 as it will have to be able to get families to the theater and have all the (kid friendly) tie-ins that this franchise is know for like toys, action figures, Halloween costumes etc.. as you I think it should still have some comedy in it and but not over the top I never considered the originals to be comedies.

I have read that it would\could still not be made. I think looking back on it, no less than 6 times have I seen this assertion. I think on this one no matter how much I want it to happen I will beleive when I am in line to buy the tickets!!!!!!!!

I have read that it would\could still not be made. I think looking back on it, no less than 6 times have I seen this assertion. I think on this one no matter how much I want it to happen I will believe when I am in line to buy the tickets!!!!!!!!

I think it will happen, the "Ghostbusters" franchise is a money machine just waiting to be started up again and Sony will eventually want to use it. I think they have been biding there time waiting on the Ramis/Aykroyd to get something that Murray would be interested in. Now with Ramis out of the picture and Reitman and Murray likely as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony doesn't go for a clean reboot to the franchise after all its now been 25 years since Ghostbusters 2.

I could see that, but there is a lot of talent out there right now that could add great humor to it. Imagine Vince Vaughn as a ghostbuster, or Ryan Reynolds. Could be great.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll admit, Vince Vaughn would be an interesting Dr. Peter Venkman

The potential this movie has with the advancement in technology since the last film was made is very cool.

No doubt they'll probably try to go 3D with it as well.

Look at all the reboots that have come out recently.. have any of them been worth paying to see?

I imagine this reboot wouldnt be far from other recent reboots. We are already staring down the barrel of a Michael Bay, Megan Fox, craptacular reboot of Ninja Turtles which while Im positive will absolutely be garbage.. it will probably make a bajllion dollars in theaters just like everything else hollywood cranks out.

Look at all the reboots that have come out recently.. have any of them been worth paying to see?

I imagine this reboot wouldnt be far from other recent reboots. We are already staring down the barrel of a Michael Bay, Megan Fox, craptacular reboot of Ninja Turtles which while Im positive will absolutely be garbage.. it will probably make a bajllion dollars in theaters just like everything else hollywood cranks out.

Like the reboot of Spiderman to name one.

Someone basically told me the movie companies do reboots to maintain rights to franchises and characters.

By the time a new one is filmed & released it will have been close to 30 years. Just like the are talking of rebooting Indiana Jones the original actors aren't getting any younger and one of the main actors/character and leader of the team is now know longer with us so I think a reboot is best at this point.

Bond, Batman, and Star Trek come to mind. X-Men First Class (more of a soft reboot).

Like the reboot of Spiderman to name one.

Someone basically told me the movie companies do reboots to maintain rights to franchises and characters.

Thats exactly why Spider-Man was rebooted. Once Marvel Studios started cranking out winners Sony got scared they would lose the rights. Fox already lost Daredevil and now they are getting ready to churn out a rebooted Fantastic Four (so far it sounds just as awful as the original).

As for rebooting Ghostbusters, this could really go either way.Personally I would rather see a continuation with new characters taking the lead than new actors reprising the original characters. No one could do Peter Venkman justice.

This will be awesome I just hope there is one near me!

'Ghostbusters' gets the call for theatrical re-release -- EXCLUSIVE

'Ghostbusters' gets the call for theatrical re-release -- EXCLUSIVE

This weekend marks the 30th anniversary of Ghostbusters, which came, saw, and kicked Mr. Stay Puft’s ass in the summer of 1984. The hilarious, special-effects-laden adventure about Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and the late Harold Ramis’ trio of disgraced academics, who luck into the paranormal extermination racket just as supernatural creatures try to bring about the end of times, dominated the box office and had virtually every American humming Ray Parker Jr.’s theme song and asking the rhetorical question, “Who you gonna call?”

Well, the answer is still loud and clear, and a restored and remastered Ghostbusters will return to more than 700 movie theaters on Aug. 29. The theatrical re-release is the centerpiece of a Ghostbusters‘ anniversary celebration that will also include special events, collectible merchandise, and a new home-entertainment release. The Ghostbusters 30th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray, as well as the Ghostbusters II 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray will be available on Sept. 16. It’s the first time the 1989 sequel has been released on Blu-ray, and special features include new conversations with director Ivan Reitman and Aykroyd, as well as deleted scenes from the sequel. “Ghostbusters is still one of our studio’s most beloved franchises,” said Rory Bruer, Sony’s president of worldwide distribution. “I was lucky enough to work on the release of the film on its first run, so it’s a real thrill for me to see that it’s still connecting with audiences everywhere. On the big screen or in home entertainment, this is a great movie to experience again and again.”

Click on the new Ghostbusters site for more information and scroll down for a look at the new Blu-ray packaging:

Ghostbusters_BoxSet_3Dpackshot2.jpg

GHOSTBUSTERS - 30th Anniversary Celebration
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt239UfpQBY[/youtube]

I can safely say I won't be going to see this! :bad: :finger3: :banghead2:

New All-Female 'Ghostbusters' Cast Chosen - The Hollywood Reporter

The all-new, all-female Ghostsbusters are here.

Melissa McCarthy, who was already in talks for one of the leads, has signed on for the Paul Feig-directed reboot, and the studio is now negotiating with Kristen Wiig, as well as Saturday Night Live players Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Negotiations are ongoing but the quartet are expected to sign on as the specter-seeking, poltergeist-punishing and phantom-phollowing foursome in the reboot, which is eyeing a summer shoot in New York.

I'll admit, Vince Vaughn would be an interesting Dr. Peter Venkman

" Hey I'm going out with Dana Barrett tonight, you know the girl with a dog in her fridge. I was thinking we might get hopped up, make some bad decisions, who knows baby? Maybe play a game called just the tip, just for a second, just to see how it feels."

VN Store

Back