Cosmos

dhendri

Premiered tonight on Fox and again tomorrow night on National Geographic. A thirteen episode mini-series hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson, it is an update of the 1980 mini-series by Carl Sagan.

Reactions: 2 people
Enjoyed tonight's episode. Space has always been a part of my interests, mainly since it's really a part of everything in this area.

Really enjoyed it. However the cartoon bit lost me for a few minutes. They have went all-out and really put a lot of work ($$$) into it with how good the CGI was.

I was surprised to see it was directed & produced by Brannon Braga. Braga for those that don't know was one of the big wigs behind the Star Trek Franchise from Next Generation through the films & Enterprise when it finally went off the air. He has also produced 24 & Terra Nova for Fox.

tumblr_m0op2u4aLP1qk374d.png

Is it streaming anywhere? hulu?

I guess I could go check myself huh?

I feel like I should be high on something while watching this show, it's so warm and visually stunning.

Did anyone else notice Seth MacFarlane is an executive producer?

I feel like I should be high on something while watching this show, it's so warm and visually stunning.

Did anyone else notice Seth MacFarlane is an executive producer?
He's actually the one that pushed to have this brought back to TV! It has been in the works for almost three years!

Checkout this article from 2011!
NY Daily News article from Saturday, August 6, 2011
Seth MacFarlane to do sequel of Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos'; set to debut in 2013

Seth MacFarlane to do sequel of Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos'; set to debut in 2013

Seth MacFarlane will helm the re-boot of the classic '80s TV show.

BEVERLY HILLS – Call it Family Guy goes to Mars.

In the weirdest mashup of recent TV history, Fox has signed "American Dad" creator Seth MacFarlane to do a sequel to Carl Sagan's beloved PBS series "Cosmos."

The late Sagan is known and widely respected as one of the most prominent and successful advocates for exploration of the solar system and the cosmos. His TV show was renowned for explaining in layman's terms the science of our complex universe.

MacFarlane is known for animated satire in which characters make inappropriate though often hilarious comments on their friends, family, neighbors and popular culture.

Fox Entertainment President Kevin Reilly says it will be a good match – that MacFarlane will play the science straight, but bring the entertainment element that enabled Sagan to get civilians interested in what could otherwise be dry academic information.

"Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey," will debut in 2013 as a 13-part "docu-series." Sagan's widow Ana Druyan will be writer/producer and others from the original series will be involved.

MacFarlane said this show will continue Sagan's mission of showing the importance and potential of cosmic exploration.

The original "Cosmos" debuted in 1980 and has been seen by an estimated 700 million viewers.

------------------------------------
Cosmos A Spacetime Odyssey T.V. Series: Seth McFarlane Talks About Why He Brought Back 'Cosmos' Reboot

Cosmos A Spacetime Odyssey T.V. Series: Seth McFarlane Talks About Why He Brought Back 'Cosmos' Reboot

When Family Guy creator and funny-man Seth MacFarlane announced that he and famed astronomer Neil deGrasse Tyson were working on bringing back the revolutionary 1980s PBS series Cosmos: A Personal Voyage it certainly raised some eyebrows.

Successfully, Tyson, who will serve as the series' host. Macfarlane and Ann Druyan, wife of the late and former Cosmos host Carl Sagan, brought the television series back as Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey and will begin airing Sunday nights on Fox.

The original series 13-episode series featured Sagan, an astronomer, taking audiences on a scientific journey through the universe while explaining various cosmological theories.

The Los Angeles Times conducted an interview with MacFarlane about why he wanted to get involved with the reboot. He told the newspaper that as a kid he fell in love with the series and that, since Sagan's passing in 1996, the scientific community has lacked a central voice and one that will take us out of the era of scientific illiteracy, as he puts it.

That is of course until Tyson, a leading astrophysicist and author, came along with the initial idea to bring the show back.

At a meeting of the Science and Entertainment Exchange, MacFarlane ran into Tyson where he asked if there were any research projects that needed some help funding. Tyson replied, "Well, not off hand but one thing that may need some help is we're trying to get 'Cosmos' rebooted."

MacFarlane said he loved Tyson's work and is excited to have someone with such an expert knowledge of science and astronomy actually hosting the show.

"He can actually back up what he's saying. He's not just a celebrity." MacFarlane told the L.A. Times. "If somebody approaches Neil after this with a question, he can answer with authority, which is a real plus for me."

MacFarlane said that he hopes the show, which is geared toward bringing families together and enjoying an educational program, will enlighten viewers and put the world back on track toward exploratory science.

"The space program has decayed to a point that is incredibly depressing. We as a species are explorers. Why are we stopping?" MacFarlane asked. "You see it in the rise of schools questioning evolution, all these thing piling up that betray the fact that we've lost our way in terms of scientific literacy and it's incredibly damaging to the evolution of any society."

"Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey" premiere's Sunday at 9 p.m. on Fox.

I liked it and will continue to watch but thought the cartoon bit was far too long - we get the point.

I loved the first Series back in the early 80's when Dr. Carl Sagan did the first on PBS.I loved how Dr.Sagan would say "billions & billions of stars & planets to behold". I'm really glad that they are bringing this back. It's interesting to watch again over & over. I never get tired of programs about Space & all the Planets & Universes.

With all the other shows on in that time period I will be checking it out on one of its other airings on NatGeo!

I may be one of the few on the board to have watched the original, read Sagan's book 'Contact' before the movie and understand these quotes from him. (cumlative ascertations not individual ones)

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.

Carl Sagan

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Carl Sagan

Really enjoyed the show and hope it goes toward more understanding of the essence of existence for those who are just becoming aware and entering the age of accountability.

Just watched it. Thought it was captivating and visually stunning. Content wise it was pretty much par for the course with any other science documentary I've seen with Dr. Tyson (but with a bigger budget). I enjoyed the animated sequence though. The tale of Bruno was new to me. Although, a quick Google search revealed that the segment stirred up some contraversey in the way his story was depicted. (Of course we are talking about boiling down a man's life in 10min so embellishment is to be expected).

Wow... The second episode was like a head on attack at creationism. The evolution of the eye segment was directed right at one of the main arguments of intelligent design.

Wow... The second episode was like a head on attack at creationism. The evolution of the eye segment was directed right at one of the main arguments of intelligent design.

Agreed.

Paraphrasing "some might say well thats your opinion. No it's not, it's scientigic fact". Basically deal with it.

Third episode was very interesting. I find the careers of these historical scientists fascinating. They had so many discoveries in their life spans. I never realized the Halley didn't live to see the comet that is referred to by his name. I imagined he passed away confident in his prediction of its return.

Some of the animated reenactments are amusing. I can imagine Sir Isaac Newton just causally "Oh yes I discovered that some 5 years ago. It's right here.... somewhere. No matter. I will recreate it."

I lost interest in the third episode so I switched over to watch Ax Men.

Thats funny. Early in the episode Dr. Tyson points out that most people can name mass murderers throughout history but couldnt tell you the name of the first scientist to pinpoint where our solar system is in the Milkyway Galaxy. Maybe ypu saw that before youvswitched to Ax Men.

Thats funny. Early in the episode Dr. Tyson points out that most people can name mass murderers throughout history but couldnt tell you the name of the first scientist to pinpoint where our solar system is in the Milkyway Galaxy. Maybe ypu saw that before youvswitched to Ax Men.

I watched the 1st 15 or 20 minutes. I probably did but I think it went through one ear & out the other. I was bored with him last night I suppose.

VN Store

Back