Star Wars: Episode VII (December 18, 2015) ***SPOILERS***

CagleMtnVol

‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ Coming to Theaters on December 18, 2015

Release Date: December 18, 2015
Distributor: Disney/Buena Vista
Rating: Not Yet Rated

Director: J.J. Abrams (Super 8, Star Trek, Star Trek: Into Darkness)

Starring:

Harrison Ford
Mark Hamill
Carrie Fisher
Peter Mayhew
Anthony Daniels
Kenny Baker
Anthony Sirkis
Max von Sydow
Oscar Isaac
Domhnall Gleeson
Adam Driver
John Boyega
Daisy Ridley

Disney Sets ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ For December 2015 Release

It’s going to be a happy Christmas for fans of a galaxy far far away away in two years. The new J.J. Abrams-directed Star Wars movie will open on December 18, 2015, Disney announced today.“We’re very excited to share the official 2015 release date for Star Wars: Episode VII, where it will not only anchor the popular holiday filmgoing season but also ensure our extraordinary filmmaking team has the time needed to deliver a sensational picture,” said Disney Studios chair Alan Horn in a statement Thursday on Starwars.com. When Disney bought Lucasfilm in October 2012 for $4 billion, CEO Bob Iger said that three more Star Wars films were going to be coming out with 2015 as the release date for the first new one. A date that Disney will now make by a hair. The new Star Wars movie is set to start filming early next year in the UK with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, Abrams, and his bad Robot partner Bryan Burk producing. Tommy Harper and Jason McGatlin will serve as EPs. Abrams was named as director on the first new Star Wars pic since 2005′s Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith on January 25 of this year. On October 24, it was announced that Abrams would take over the writing of the script for the upcoming new Star Wars pic with Empire Strikes Back co-writer Lawrence Kasdan. Oscar winner and Hunger Games: Catching Fire scribe Michael Arndt had previously been on board as writing the script based on treatments he had drafted. Arndt is not credit on the script in the information posted online today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I can't help but feel they are going to screw this up, royally. I hope I'm wrong, but doubt that I am.

I guess Disney doesn't want SW competing with Avengers 2 during the summer.

I'm shocked they are not going for a summer blockbuster (May through July) release date.

Disney/Buena Vista of course already has two films slated for that period in the Marvel films Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st) and Ant-Man (July 31st) but in the middle of that is the 4th of July weekend they could have went for the only competition currently announced is Terminator (July 1st) and Independence Day 2 (July 3rd) and on July 17 is currently the release date for Superman & Batman

They could have went for November but then you run up against Bond 24 (November 6th) and the final film in The Hunger Games Trilogy on November 20th.

Last edited:
Independence Day 2??.....

*facepalm *

I'm not sure how Disney can do much worse than the prequels

Last edited:
I'm shocked they are not going for a summer blockbuster (May through July) release date.

Disney/Buena Vista of course already has two films slated for that period in the Marvel films Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st) and Ant-Man (July 31st) but in the middle of that is the 4th of July weekend they could have went for the only competition currently announced is Terminator (July 1st) and Independence Day 2 (July 3rd) and on July 17 is currently the release date for Superman & Batman

They could have went for November but then you run up against Bond 24 (November 6th) and the final film in The Hunger Games Trilogy on November 20th.

Christmas release is perfect for multiple weekends where as the summer it's just the next big thing week after week. Look at how Avatar dominated the months of Dec-Feb mostly because there wasn't much competition during those months.

Frankly I don't see how they're going to make that dead line. They haven't even finalized a script yet, nor have they settled on a cast. Filming wouldn't even begin until sometime in 2014, plus you have set construction, costume design, post-production, re-shoots, promotion, etc.

The prequels could have been alot better. I personally thought Revenge of the Sith stood toe to toe with the originals, though.

Same here. Revenge of the Sith was very very well done.

It was the best of the 3 but I wouldn't throw too many 'very's in there.

Funny thing about the prequels though, I don't really like them, yet if they are on TV I will watch them. It's like a train wreck and I can't look away no matter how many times I've seen then.

Maybe I'm easily amused, but the only "bad" prequel I thought was the first one... and that was because Jar-Jar played too big of a role. Once Lucas realized the mistake of making Episode I aimed too much at the kids I think they recovered pretty good in the next 2. I think that most SW fans didn't have any eye bleach and just couldn't wipe the memory of Episode I out of their minds when they watched the next two and just remained jaded afterwards.

Some of the dialog in episode 2 was like watching CSPAN. The romance between Anikin and Amadala was empty and sounded like they were reading from cue cards.

Some of the dialog in episode 2 was like watching CSPAN. The romance between Anikin and Amadala was empty and sounded like they were reading from cue cards.

That's because Hayden Christensen (sp?) is not a very good actor. He was terrible in those movies.

I remember going to see Ep II with a girl I was dating at the time. We were cracking up at the Anakin Padmae scenes. So was much of the theatre.

That was also the summer of the first Spider-Man movie. Everyone was so shocked at much it out performed SW in the box office.

Maybe I'm easily amused, but the only "bad" prequel I thought was the first one... and that was because Jar-Jar played too big of a role. Once Lucas realized the mistake of making Episode I aimed too much at the kids I think they recovered pretty good in the next 2. I think that most SW fans didn't have any eye bleach and just couldn't wipe the memory of Episode I out of their minds when they watched the next two and just remained jaded afterwards.

Nah that award easily goes to Episode 2! Despite Jar Jar's annoying shtick, at least Phantom Menace FELT like a Star Wars movie. Plus Qui Gon Jin and Darth Maul were great characters! Episode 2, well, I don't know what the hell that was but it was painfully slow in many areas and the so called "romantic" scenes were so contrived and poorly executed! Episode 3, while having the dubious honor of being the best of the prequels, still does not live up to the original 3.

The prequels could have been alot better. I personally thought Revenge of the Sith stood toe to toe with the originals, though.

I prefer the original trilogy and I do not like The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones but I thought Revenge of the Sith was the best film of the franchise.

Last edited:
Are you not a fan of Abrams?

I like Abrams, but I'm afraid he'll ignore the expanded Star Wars universe just to create something he can call his own. Starting with the book series by Timothy Zahn, the Star Wars universe has expanded decades into the future. Han and Leia have had kids. Luke married and had a son. Major characters have died and new characters have been introduced. For fans of the movies alone, that might not be a big deal, but for fans of the expanded universe, such as myself, the idea of just wiping all of that out really sucks.

That's because Hayden Christensen (sp?) is not a very good actor. He was terrible in those movies.

Agreed. The little kid that played Anakin in the first one was a better actor. HC was a bad casting choice and Natalie Portman didn't deliver her best either. There was no chemistry between the two. Lucas made some poor production choices.

VN Store

Back