The Official Dirt Track Racing Thread

**ORANGEBLOOD**

CALL THE MAN!
I think there are a few more dirt track junkies like me on here. I thought I would put a thread on here for us!

Our local track here is Duck River Speedway. Anybody else on here love dirt late models?

[
LateModelAction1.jpg

Huge dirt track fan and we have one of the best in the country in Terre Haute in the Action Track. Sadly oh it maybe a thing of the past as the fairgrounds owner is trying to sell the land and a large reatail outlet maybe taking over and destroying the historic track. :(

I have been to Terre Haute to watch a Hav-a-Tampa race. Its now Lucas Oil, but back then it was Hav-a-Tampa. I think Bloomquist won it.

cant wait for some dirt track racing to start up! We go to I-55 raceway up here in Pevely, MO... Ken Schrader owns it and make several appearances a year.. $10 to watch racing, plus the only beer they sell are 2x4s... cant beat it :rock:

I have been to Terre Haute to watch a Hav-a-Tampa race. Its now Lucas Oil, but back then it was Hav-a-Tampa. I think Bloomquist won it.

I lived in Terra Haute and went to several races there. The main race then was the Tony Hullman Memorial for USAC Sprints. That is my favorite dirt type racing with midgets and modifieds next. I like late models ok, I was involved with running the Kingsport Speedway as Pit Chief and flagman. I once had to disqualify Bloomquist for being underweight after he won the feature, not a very popular move! My favorite track is Eldora with Knoxville, IA a close second. Also lived in Mansfield, OH and watched many races at the dirt track that is now paved. Saw Tim Richmond race there a few times, he lived about 15 miles from there. Jac Haudenchild lived about 30 miles from there.

LOVE ELDORA!! I went 9 years in a row to The Dream and The World. I have always been a Moyer fan, but with Jimmy Owens being from Newport TN I have been pulling for him some lately. In my picture you will see the blue 56 of David Gentry, he is from Shelbyville. He is the 2 time Stormpay Crate champion. I am also a fan of his. Although he is currently suspended for engine tampering.
That being said, Rome Georgia, Atomic, and Bulls Gap have always been my favorites because the racing is SO good at those places.

LOVE ELDORA!! I went 9 years in a row to The Dream and The World. I have always been a Moyer fan, but with Jimmy Owens being from Newport TN I have been pulling for him some lately. In my picture you will see the blue 56 of David Gentry, he is from Shelbyville. He is the 2 time Stormpay Crate champion. I am also a fan of his. Although he is currently suspended for engine tampering.
That being said, Rome Georgia, Atomic, and Bulls Gap have always been my favorites because the racing is SO good at those places.

I've been to Bulls Gap several times and Newport. Never went to Atomic or Rome, but used to go to both Kingsport tracks and the Sportsman Speedway in Johnson City back in the 60s while I was a student. Back then several NASCAR drivers would race at those tracks. Harry Gant, G C Spencer, Connie Saylor, Buck Baker (won 1st race at Kpt), Nelson Stacy, Bobby Isaack, and the Allisons were some I remember. Oh, once I saw Ralph Earnhardt race, Dale's Father.

I have slides from Eldora for a King of the Outlaws race around 1978, does anyone know how I can post them?

Any open wheel dirt racing is great but the midgets are the best. I enjoy the Hoosier 100 at the fairgrounds and The Night Before the 500 every year. I need to make it to the Lil 500 one year in Anderson. 33 cars with the 11 rows of 3 on a high banked 1/4 mile.

:frown:I grew up going to the Atomic Speedway every weekend, knew many of the drivers personally. I was at the one of the first races for Scott Bloomquist there. So many memories. Now the track is being torn down. I would love to take a road trip to all the dirt tracks in the southeast over a period of time. My son would really enjoy that.

Any open wheel dirt racing is great but the midgets are the best. I enjoy the Hoosier 100 at the fairgrounds and The Night Before the 500 every year. I need to make it to the Lil 500 one year in Anderson. 33 cars with the 11 rows of 3 on a high banked 1/4 mile.
Yes very entertaining.

I have never been a big fan of the sprints, but we have an open wheel modified division here that is great!
OpenWheelAction2.jpg

Have you ever been to a WoO or any other big time Sprint Car race? If you have just seen some 2nd rate shows, you really haven't experienced true representation of them. I don't see how you can like dirt and not like Sprints otherwise. To watch Swindell, Lasocki, Kinser, et al go at it at Eldora where they never crack the throttle is as good as it gets.

I have been to The Kings Royal, and another big Sprint show at Baxter Speedway. I dont like the fact that they dont have starters, and cautions take FOREVER! I do like to watch the sprints on tv because I dont have to sit thru the cautions. There is nothing wrong with sprints, I am just a Late Model guy. I like the full bodied look of the late models, and the rivalries in the late model division are unmatched in my opinion.

I have been to The Kings Royal, and another big Sprint show at Baxter Speedway. I dont like the fact that they dont have starters, and cautions take FOREVER! I do like to watch the sprints on tv because I dont have to sit thru the cautions. There is nothing wrong with sprints, I am just a Late Model guy. I like the full bodied look of the late models, and the rivalries in the late model division are unmatched in my opinion.

You have a good point about the starters, whatever became of the consideration of putting starters on Sprint cars?

interesting. i've never seen anybody list a lack of starters on the car as a reason they don't like them. seems pretty irrelevant to me.

interesting. i've never seen anybody list a lack of starters on the car as a reason they don't like them. seems pretty irrelevant to me.

It is very relevant when there is a caution, and cars have to be push started. It take a while if there is a big pile up. Like I said Sprints are cool if thats what you like, its just not for me.

NASCAR.COM - Stenhouse dusting off dirt for ARCA shot with Roush - Feb 11, 2008

Check out this article on this 20 year old guy I know. I met him 2 years ago, he was racing sprint cars with my buddys trucking co as his sponser. He made his way up through the USAC Sprint Car and Midget Car series and now is in ARCA racing for Jack Roush!! Pretty crazy how things turn out, hes got a very bright future ahead of him.

Note to self- Take orangeblood off the cool list-check:whistling:

the tranny is a direct drive

It's called an In-'n-out box, it does have a nuetral although it can be hard to get out of gear when stopped. That's why you see the track workers rocking a stalled car, to get it to pop out of gear. In any case, on board starters would speed up both cautions and more so red flags. They would also speed up lining the cars up by a large amount. Now they have to wait until a push vehicle is available, and the straight is clear of the cars already started that have to idle around wasting fuel. It would make a tremendous difference in time, thus making it more attractive to live TV.

VN Store

Back