Denny Hamlin says NASCAR drivers should make NBA, NFL money

TennFan

What's your take on this? Denny was the 3rd highest paid driver in 2016 with $15.2 million. The highest paid was Jimmie Johnson at $21.8 million.
I think NBA, NFL and MLB players make way too much money. There needs to be a salary cap! I remember a few years back when one particular player made more than the whole Marlins team was worth. No one is worth $60 million!

He’s right about the danger factor, but there are two things.

Your sport isn’t valuable enough. How many eyes do you attract?

Form a union and collectively bargain these things. The nba players didn’t get this money by just talking to the Press. They got their union to negotiate for a bigger cut of the revenue. Now you look and those guys are getting paid Baseball money.

I think they should make what the market allows and their agent is able to negotiate. I've never understood why parties who have no skin in the game want to dictate salaries of other people. I certainly don't want some 3rd party telling me or my employer that I make too much and need to be capped.

I do think it is an odd thing to take public now given what appears to be a significant decline in interest, investment, and revenue.

Reactions: 2 people
What's your take on this? Denny was the 3rd highest paid driver in 2016 with $15.2 million. The highest paid was Jimmie Johnson at $21.8 million.
I think NBA, NFL and MLB players make way too much money. There needs to be a salary cap! I remember a few years back when one particular player made more than the whole Marlins team was worth. No one is worth $60 million!

Why do you think mlb, nfl and nba players are paid too much? Doesn’t capitalism say that you should be paid what you are worth? The leagues feel that the players are worth the money they are paying them.

Also, there is a salary cap in the nba and nfl.

Reactions: 1 person
What does the average NASCAR driver make? I'll be shocked if it's less than the average NFL player (1.9M).

Drivers should make whatever they can negotiate. Other pro sports are irrelevant to the convo.

What does the average NASCAR driver make? I'll be shocked if it's less than the average NFL player (1.9M).

Drivers should make whatever they can negotiate. Other pro sports are irrelevant to the convo.

Believe that he said Landon Cassell makes about 500k plus negotiable prize money.

Anyway, as it’s been said, you’re worth what somebody is willing to pay you.

Reactions: 1 person
Why do you think mlb, nfl and nba players are paid too much? Doesn’t capitalism say that you should be paid what you are worth? The leagues feel that the players are worth the money they are paying them.

Also, there is a salary cap in the nba and nfl.

That's usually how it works...

Last edited:
Believe that he said Landon Cassell makes about 500k plus negotiable prize money.

Anyway, as it’s been said, you’re worth what somebody is willing to pay you.

If Landon Cassell can make half a mil to go out and run 30th every week that's pretty impressive. I'd guess that's what the average bench warmer in the NFL makes.

VN Store

Back