2016 NASCAR Top 6 Pick'Em Contest

gofordrew

2016 NASCAR Top 6 Pick'Em Contest Rules

1. Pick the top 6 finishers in each NASCAR Sprint Cup race, and enter your picks in the appropriate thread each week. Picks must be in the order of how you think they will finish.

2. There will be a Pole Position Pick thread for each event. Enter your pick for the pole winner and earn 5 bonus points if you pick correctly.

3. Picks are to be made from a seeded driver listing included in the entry thread. Drivers are split into three groups: A, B & C. You may ONLY PICK TWO drivers from each group.

4. As driver changes and drivers failing to qualify for races are common in Group C, contestants are responsible for making sure their picks are up to date before the deadline or risk receiving a 0 as a score for a driver not in the race. Updates will try to be given regularly to help avoid this.

5. Entries must specify the exact driver in the case of those with identical last names (example - Kyle/Kurt Busch) Entries with last name only will be awarded the points of the lowest finishing driver.

6. All picks must be entered by the original listed deadline for each race and pole qualification, or in the event of a postponement, picks must be entered by the new listed deadline. In the event of a delay in the race that will be run on the original race day that doesn't have a set start time, picks must be entered before the start of the National Anthem. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS!

7. Each race will have a tie-breaker pick which requires picking the finish position of a designated driver. If there is a tie for the winner, the contest who most closely picked the finishing position of the tiebreaker will win. If there is a tie in the tiebreaker, then the person who made their picks first will be the winner. (For example, the tiebreaker is to pick the finish of Kevin Harvick. Person A picks 1st, Person B picks 9th. Kevin Harvick finishes 5th. In this scenario, each contestant picked 4 places from Harvick's actual finishing position. The contestant that made their picks first would be determined the winner)

Contest Format

1. Picking the pole position winner will earn 5 points. Note: If qualifying is canceled, there will be no bonus.

2. Picking the race winner will earn 5 points.

3. Picking any three of the top six will earn 3 points, picking four will earn 4, picking five will earn 5, and picking all six will earn 6.

4. Picking the top three in correct finishing order earns 3 points, four earns 4, five earns 5, and six earns 6.

Example: You pick Ricky Bobby and he wins and leads the most laps. Your other five picks finish 3rd, 5th, 6th, 20th and 30th. The driver finishing 3rd leads a lap. Your total score for that race is; 48+42+39+23+13 = 165 (driver points from NASCAR) plus bonus points for picking the winner and picking four in the top six are 5+4 = 9 for a total of 174. In this example, the pole position winner was not picked.

Championship Rules

The contest will follow the same format as the NASCAR Championship.

1. 16 people will make the Championship. A win in any of the first 26 races guarantees a spot in the field of 16. After all winners are filled in, the remaining spots will be added by points. For example, if 11 different people win a race the next 5 spots in the Championship will be filled in by points.

2. After the field of 16 is determined, all 16 will be reset to 2,000 points. After the points are reset, contestants will be given 10 bonus points for every regular season win.

3. After 3 races, points will be reset again and the field will be narrowed to 12 contestants. A win in any of the 3 races equals advancement into the next round. The rest of the field of 12 will be determined by order of points scored in the three races.

4. After the next 3 races, points will be reset again and the field will be narrowed to 8 contestants. A win in any of the 3 races equals advancement into the next round. The rest of the field of 8 will be determined by order of points scored in the three races.

5. After 3 races, points will be reset again and the field will be narrowed to 4 contestants. A win in any of the 3 races equals advancement into the next round. The rest of the field of 4 will be determined by order of points scored in the three races.

6. Tiebreakers in each round: If any position comes down to a tiebreaker, only the three races in the each round matter. The tiebreaker is best finish in the round.

7. In the final race of the season, the champion will be the contestant who scores the most points of the Final 4. All other contestants will have their point totals reset to the Chase-start base of 2,000 (with any regular-season wins bonus points), plus the additional points they've earned during the Chase for points positions 5-16.

7. If there is a tie in the championship, the winner will be decided by predetermined tiebreakers.

8. Eligibility: To be eligible for the Championship, contestants must participate in at least 80% of the regular season races (21 out of 26).

Freak said there will be a prize again this year!

Last edited:
1. Pick the top 6 finishers in each NASCAR Sprint Cup race, and enter your picks in the appropriate thread each week. Picks must be in the order of how you think they will finish. Each race will have a tie-breaker pick which requires picking the finish position of a designated driver.

So this is new correct? I always placed them as I picked them out of the A, B & C groups so now instead of just picking six drivers I have put them in the specific position I think they will finish?

So this is new correct? I always placed them as I picked them out of the A, B & C groups so now instead of just picking six drivers I have put them in the specific position I think they will finish?

No this isn't a new rule. The main reason it is important to put them in order is because you get bonus points if you pick the race winner correctly. Another reason is that there are bonus points if you pick the top 3 or more in order correctly, however in my 2 years I don't think I've seen that happen before, mainly because group B drivers rarely finish in the top 3.

2. Picking the race winner will earn 5 points.

3. Picking any three of the top six will earn 3 points, picking four will earn 4, picking five will earn 5, and picking all six will earn 6.

4. Picking the top three in correct finishing order earns 3 points, four earns 4, five earns 5, and six earns 6.

Think we should get more points if we get 3 or 4 in order. Say 6 points for getting 3 in order and 8 points if we get 4 in order. In other words 2 points for each position.
Maybe if all 6 in order (if that happens) then 15 points.

I'm back to defend my TITLE!

I'm in it for the money.

The system I implemented at the end of last season should be effective.

I plan to stick with my strategy of finishing top 5 every week until the chase starts and then completely fall apart.

Reactions: 1 person
I am just wanting to double check make sure I understand cuz I think I missed Atlanta and I know I missed Daytona but if I win one week I'm in the chase and everything is basically done just like actual Chase itself, right?

I am just wanting to double check make sure I understand cuz I think I missed Atlanta and I know I missed Daytona but if I win one week I'm in the chase and everything is basically done just like actual Chase itself, right?

Yep you're good. You can miss up to 5 races and still make the chase with a win or on points.

VN Store

Back