Report: Tony Stewart to retire after 2016 season

Hes been my favorite driver. I'd rather him retire than bcome a has been field filler. Hopefully he'll end on a decent note. His cars have been better the last month or so.

Hes been my favorite driver. I'd rather him retire than bcome a has been field filler. Hopefully he'll end on a decent note. His cars have been better the last month or so.

I don't think the cars are/were the problem.

After his retirement will there anyone on the grid who competed full seasons in the 90s?

After his retirement will there anyone on the grid who competed full seasons in the 90s?

Nope. Just think about how many all-star type drivers we will be losing during the next couple of years;

Jimmie Johnson (40)
Dale Earnhardt Jr. (41)
Kevin Harvick (40)
Tony Stewart (45) (Ret 2016)
Matt Kenseth (43)
Jeff Gordon (44) (Ret 2015)
Ryan Newman (38)
Kurt Busch (37)
Jamie McMurray (39)
Greg Biffle (46)
Clint Bowyer (36)
Carl Edwards (36)
Denny Hamlin (35)
Martin Truex Jr. (35)
Kasey Kahne (35)

You've got to pretty much assume Biffle will be gone in a year or two and Kenseth within 3-4 years. I just don't see enough young star power (besides Erik Jones, Ryan Blaney, and Chase) to replace those names. As for Tony, I would love to see him go run sports cars full-time but I doubt it'll happen.

Pretty convenient it's on "his terms" when he's led a career-low 24 laps this season, doesn't have a single top-five finish and hasn't won a race since midway through the 2013 season.

He's never done anything on anybody else's terms. I don't know whose they'd be if not his own.

He's never done anything on anybody else's terms. I don't know whose they'd be if not his own.

I've always liked Tony. He is part owner so he could drive as long as he wanted. It's not as if he's going out while he's still good is all I'm saying.

Nope. Just think about how many all-star type drivers we will be losing during the next couple of years;

You've got to pretty much assume Biffle will be gone in a year or two and Kenseth within 3-4 years. I just don't see enough young star power (besides Erik Jones, Ryan Blaney, and Chase) to replace those names. As for Tony, I would love to see him go run sports cars full-time but I doubt it'll happen.

The Dillons
Wallace Jr.
Larson
Buescher

Reactions: 1 person
In 2017 the only people left that raced in Earnhardt's last race will be Dale Jr, Kenseth, and Kurt Busch.

The Dillons
Wallace Jr.
Larson
Buescher
I would add the following as well as I think over the next 3-5 years a lot of these names will eventually make there way into Cup!!

Daniel Hemric (24)
Daniel Suarez (23)
Tyler Reddick (19)
Brandon Jones (18)
John Hunter Nemechek (18)
Cole Custer (17)
Gray Gaulding (17)

William Byron (17)
Just won the K&N Pro Series EAST Championship in his first season with (4) wins & (11) Top 10s. He is a Developmental driver for JR Motorsports.

The next Danica? Keep an eye on...

Kenzie Ruston (23)
Has (7) Career Top 5s and (17) Top 10s in three season in the K&N Series.

Sarah Cornett-Ching (24)
In her first season in the ARCA Series is currently 7th in points with (5) Top 10s

Johanna Long (23)
Only the second female (Tammy Jo Kirk, 1994) to win the famed Snowball Derby in which she won in 2010 at age (17)

I think if she can ever land with a team that isn't living pay check to pay check she could become a solid driver.

I remember seeing rumors a couple of months ago of possibly negotiations with JR motorsports for 2016 in either the CWTS or Xfinity or both?

VN Store

Back