NASCAR distances itself from Confederate flag after massacre

''There's only so much that you can do with an issue like this if you're NASCAR,'' said Brad Daugherty, a former NBA star and current co-owner of JTG Daugherty Racing.

''But I will tell you, being an African-American man going to the racetrack and seeing the Confederate flag - and I'm a different egg or a different bird because I'm a Southern kid, I'm a mountain kid, I hunt and fish, I love racing,'' Daugherty said Tuesday on Sirius XM radio. ''But to walk into the racetrack and there's only few that you walk into and see that Confederate flag - it does make my skin crawl. And even though I do my best to not acknowledge it or to pay any attention to it, it's there and it bothers me because of what it represents.''

I remember having trepidation when I went to my first NASCAR race in 1999. The number of confederate flags on TV certainly didn't give us confidence we were heading into an environment that would embrace us with open arms.

The way attendance has been going pissing off what's left of your hardcore fan-base not very smart.

Anyone see the Xfinity Race last Sunday it looked like there were only a thousand people there if that. I think NASCAR has more to worry about in getting people back to the track and a flag has nothing to do with it.

No matter how hard NASCAR tries its going to be viewed as a Southern sport to the people outside the South and to Southerns a lot now view it as a corporate sport.

For about 10-12 years straight we would go to Talladega every year but haven't been since probably 2002.

There is very few current Southern drivers in the sport at least on the Cup level and most of those that are promising young drivers from the Xfinity series like Trevor Bayne (TN), Ricky Stenhouse (MS) & Jeb Burton (VA) are in sub-par equipment. IMO Hopefully David Regan (GA) has finally landed permanent home at MWR and then there is Austin Dillon (NC) as well.

Hopefully over the next 5/6 years we will get an influx of Southern drivers from the Xfinity & Truck series with guys like Chase Elliott (GA), Bubba Wallace (AL), Ty Dillon (NC), Jeremy Clements (SC), Harrison Rhodes (NC), Ben Kennedy (FL, G-Grandson of Bill France Sr.), Mason Mingus (KY), Ben Rhodes (KY), Gray Gaulding (VA) and John Hunter Nemechek (NC).

Reactions: 1 person
NASCAR has become a nationwide sport, and in doing so, has become more corporate. NASCAR lost its southern roots years ago.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back