The Official MotoGP Thread

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
Can't remember seeing a thread

Marc Marquez has now won 10 straight MotoGP events.

And I love those Repsol Hondas

Marc-Marquez-1024_3078147.jpg

I'm so glad to see this thread on here....thought I was the only two-wheeled road-racing fan on the boards. Marquez is an absolute alien....sick talent, and very young. He's better than Vale in his prime I think.

Longing for the days of American talent on top-flight machinery. Spies retirement, and Hayden being relegated to second tier machinery hurts. AMA/DMG has killed the American talent coming up. Not looking good for the future.

Why is Hayden on a second tier bike? I don't follow MotoGP much honestly, and the only bike race I've ever been to was the inaugural event at Indy.

Why or how has AMA killed the American talent?

Last edited:
Why is Hayden on a second tier bike? I don't follow MotoGP much honestly, and the only bike race I've ever been to was the inaugural event at Indy.

Why or how has AMA killed the American talent?

He's riding for a satellite team, under the new "claiming" rules. The new rules allow some concessions (fuel capacity, tires, weight) for customer bikes that are built to a lesser state of tune. Honda provides a lesser RC to the satellite teams than the full factory Repsol sponsored machines.

Hayden had a rough time on the Ducati, and jumped to the satellite Honda with a bunch of promises from HRC that have not materialized.

Regarding the AMA question....about 5 years ago the AMA turned over the racing promotion and officiating to the Daytona Motorsports Group, owned by the France family. Long story short....rules changed that differed greatly from the other National series around the world, safety and officiating became an issue, the factory teams were largely disregarded, and subsequently the best talent in the country started going to other series, like British Superbike and the Australian and Spanish series'. As such AMA competition, TV coverage, crowd size, and prestige has diminished. It's a travesty.

Last edited:
He didn't have a choice....Repsol Honda didn't extend his contract.

Ducati ended up being a bad choice....and the Satellite Honda team may end up being even worse.

I know. He was dropped for Andrea Dovizioso who only won once while he was with Honda

I know. He was dropped for Andrea Dovizioso who only won once while he was with Honda

IMO Nicky messed up by not going to World Superbike. He's had 2 chances at top factory rides, most recently with the Ducati on the Panigale. He would dominate in WSB like Spies did. Would have been a great way to end a very successful career....a championship at every level you ever tried.

It's better racing too.

IMO Nicky messed up by not going to World Superbike. He's had 2 chances at top factory rides, most recently with the Ducati on the Panigale. He would dominate in WSB like Spies did. Would have been a great way to end a very successful career....a championship at every level you ever tried.

It's better racing too.

What's the difference?

Thanks for the other info, by the way.

What's the difference?

Thanks for the other info, by the way.

Superbike racing is based on 1000cc production motorcycles. They require the basis of the race machine be the exact same motorcycle you can buy at your local dealership. That is where the similarity ends however. Modifications are extensive but within a prescribed set of rules.

MotoGP machines are prototype machinery....like Formula 1 race cars. They share no parts with production machines, and really are the testbed for emerging technology that will eventually trickle down to the street. As such they are seen as the top level motorcycle series in the world.

Strangely, I think Superbike racing is more difficult, and may take a better rider. The bikes are not as tailored to the riders style and preferences. It's also way more competitive. 8 or 9 guys are capable of winning on any given day, as opposed to 2 or 3 in MotoGP.

Ok that makes sense.

Tell me more about Isle of Man TT. What kinds of bikes and riders are they most similar too? Do they race anywhere else like that? Those riders look nuggin futs.

Ok that makes sense.

Tell me more about Isle of Man TT. What kinds of bikes and riders are they most similar too? Do they race anywhere else like that? Those riders look nuggin futs.

The TT is all production based too. There are several "real" road races like that. Ulster is one, and i believe there is one in Malaysia.

The TT is all production based too. There are several "real" road races like that. Ulster is one, and i believe there is one in Malaysia.

Thanks for answering all these questions. I never seem to really know when or where to find these races. Obviously, I knew about MotoGP this past weekend. I do like the races though, especially the lengths. 45-60 minutes are pretty easy for me to handle, and having a clue wtf is going on will get me to at least set the DVR.

Can you tell a bit more about tailoring bikes to the riders style and preferences? Can you tell me the difference between, say Hayden and Marquez? Or Spies? Or Colin Edwards? (The only names I know off the top of my head).

Do you ride? What do you have? Any particular bike you'd love to have?

Again thanks for the time to answer.

Boro, who is the most promising American racer?

Probably Kenny Noyes or Josh Herron. Both are currently racing overseas due to the state of American Racing. Noyes is racing Superbike in the Spanish series, and Herrin is competing in Moto2 support series for MotoGP.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering all these questions. I never seem to really know when or where to find these races. Obviously, I knew about MotoGP this past weekend. I do like the races though, especially the lengths. 45-60 minutes are pretty easy for me to handle, and having a clue wtf is going on will get me to at least set the DVR.

Can you tell a bit more about tailoring bikes to the riders style and preferences? Can you tell me the difference between, say Hayden and Marquez? Or Spies? Or Colin Edwards? (The only names I know off the top of my head).

Do you ride? What do you have? Any particular bike you'd love to have?

Again thanks for the time to answer.

Many American riders have come up racing dirt track. As such they are adept at steering the bike using the rear end to square off a turn and stay on the power. They also tend to brake late and accelerate out of a corner very hard. Nicky Hayden is particularly adept at this. These guys typically like bikes set up "loose" but with a lot of front end grip. This is mostly done with chassis adjustments, but can also be affected by engine electronics. This is an area where the MotoGP machines are infinitely more adaptable than Superbikes. The engine management systems can provide on the fly engine mapping to control things like fuel mileage, torque-curve, wheelspin, and wheelies.

The European guys generally like to keep the wheels in line, brake early, and carry high corner speed. Dani Pedrosa is an excellent example of this. They came up racing small two-stroke road race bikes, with little torque, and soft low-end acceleration....making high corner speed very important. Obviously their bikes will be set up in a vastly different manner.

I do ride, and have since I was 5... Been on the street since I was 14. I've had a little of everything...sport bikes, standards, Harley's etc....now I pretty much ride sport touring machines. I currently have a Kawasaki Concours, and will typically have an old BMW airhead to play with. I think the next bike will likely be an adventure tourer like a BMW GS or a Suzuki V-strom. I like to have something sporty but with a big enough platform to travel and camp. We go to a couple races a year, and make at least one other trip yearly...so a sport bike really doesn't do it for me anymore.

I've only been riding about 10 years. First bike was a GSX-R 750. I then had a 07 CBR1000 Repsol. I traded that in on my Harley Wide Glide. I want a BMW S 1000RR and a Street Glide.

Marquez proven to be human after all....finished off the podium for the first time EVER in his MotoGP career. 4th place, Czech GP @ Brno.

VN Store

Back