#3 back at Daytona

jkleno

I am stunned to see that NASCAR has decided to put the #3 back on the track with Austin Dillon. I was never a Dale fan while he was racing, but I love him for what he brought o NASCAR. When an accident like that happens on the track and takes the life of one of the greatest of all-time, I would have liked to seen the # retired. I appreciate the way the VOLS retired the #'s of the WWII veterans at Neyland. That shows class and appreciation. I wish NASCAR would have done the same. I will always remember the real #3 not this imitation.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm a race fan and I have no problem with it. It is just a number.

Childress' spoiled ass grandson is driving Dale's car. That's not right.

I just realized that if I wear my #3 hat out people may think that I support A. Dillon. That is an issue.

I just realized that if I wear my #3 hat out people may think that I support A. Dillon. That is an issue.

Tell em you're wearing it in protest, those schmucks will lap it up like cool water in the sahara.

I'm a race fan and I have no problem with it. It is just a number.

I think the #3 is THE symbol of NASCAR, maybe even more than the #43. I love how MLB honored Jackie by retiring #42. I understand your position though. Go Junior!

I think NASCAR or at least Childress should have retired the #3 for good. Similar to #42 in MLB and the #23 in the NBA are retired. Those numbers are iconic.

I don't think it was NASCARs decision, It was Dick Childress's

I think NASCAR or at least Childress should have retired the #3 for good. Similar to #42 in MLB and the #23 in the NBA are retired. Those numbers are iconic.

#23 isn't retired in the NBA. Captain Unibrow wears it.

No other sport recognizes its participants by number more so than does Nascar. The car number is synonymous with the driver's name. You can multiply this by a thousand for the greats and by a million for the legends. Earnhardt basically drove a big number 3 around the track each Sunday. And there is only one of any particular number running as opposed to most every other sport. In basketball, every team has a #33.

So, when the person who is tied for winning the sport's most championships, and is arguably the sport's greatest legend, dies in the sport's biggest race, it does something to the number that represents what he was to the sport. Maybe it immortalizes the number, maybe it makes the number sacrosanct, or maybe it just makes it too damned creepy or cursed to ever use again.

As an Earnhardt fan, I would be just fine with the number never being used again in my lifetime. Honestly, the sport is dying although not many will admit it just yet. So, for that reason I don't hold as strong an opinion on the use of #3 as I would have just a few years ago. What's the point.

Anyway, the prominent use of "the number" in Nascar racing makes it a little different issue here than in other sports where the players' numbers aren't five feet tall and neon yellow.

NASCAR just hasn't been the same since Earnhardt was killed. I feel a little uneasy about this, but I've always been in the camp that the #3 should've been retired at the summer trip to Daytona in 2001.

Good luck to Austin Dillon. I personally don't think I'd want that weight and expectation placed upon my shoulders. But this won't make me watch any more NASCAR than I already don't.

On the pole for the 500!!

I wasn't an Earnhardt fan or an Austin Dillon fan.

However I really don't have a problem with it as Austin has drove the "3" now for several years in the truck and Nationwide series.

I think everyone who follows racing had to know when Austin eventually made the move full time to Cup that he would run the "3".

Last edited:
Ironic that Jr had a car no one could touch, a car that was faster without a drafting partner than cars drafting for the 400 and now the #3 is on the pole for its first race since Sr's death. How surprising of NASCAR. Does Don King work in NASCAR now?

Ironic that Jr had a car no one could touch, a car that was faster without a drafting partner than cars drafting for the 400 and now the #3 is on the pole for its first race since Sr's death. How surprising of NASCAR. Does Don King work in NASCAR now?
What are you talking about? :unsure: :dunno:

What are you talking about? :unsure: :dunno:

nothing, nothing at all. This is clearly just an example of a higher power looking over racing right? And, obviously, by higher power I clearly mean a spiritual power, not Brian France.

nothing, nothing at all. This is clearly just an example of a higher power looking over racing right? And, obviously, by higher power I clearly mean a spiritual power, not Brian France.

Curious indeed

You are aware the "3" car is the same team that won 4 races last year and finished 3rd in points with Kevin Harvick? The only difference is the car number, sponsor and driver.

Childress cars have been very good since they unloaded the "78" that qualifyed 2nd runs Childress engines. Dillons teammates Ryan Newman is 5th & Paul Menard 10th!

The Top 5 speeds from the yesterday's two practice sessions before qualifying.

Bold is Childress Engines
Practice 1
1. Paul Menard, Chevrolet, 195.042
2. Ryan Newman, Chevrolet, 194.839

3. Matt Kenseth, Toyota, 194.561
4. Austin Dillon, Chevrolet, 194.334
5. Brian Scott, Chevrolet, 194.330

Practice 2
1. Ryan Newman, Chevrolet, 195.346
2. Austin Dillon, Chevrolet, 195.211

3. Kyle Larson, Chevrolet, 194.734
4. Kevin Harvick, Chevrolet, 194.721