NASCAR planning major changes to points system

Crew

...stay frosty.
NASCAR planning major changes to points system - ESPN

For those unwilling to give ESPN a click for whatever reason.

Winning might just mean everything in the Sprint Cup Series going forward.

According to a report in the Charlotte Observer, NASCAR is planning an overhaul of its points system that makes it a virtual lock for drivers to reach the Chase for the Championship by posting a win during the season's first 26 races.

The Chase field would reportedly increase from 12 to 16 drivers under the restructuring. If there were more than 16 winners during the "regular season," the 16 drivers with the most wins and highest point totals would qualify for the Chase. If there were less than 16 winners, the remaining spots would be comprised of drivers with the most points.

The 10-race Chase playoffs would then feature a round of eliminations, according to the report. The proposal has the eliminations taking place after the third, sixth and ninth races of the Chase.

The four drivers with the lowest point totals after those races would be eliminated, leaving the Sprint Cup champion to be determined by a winner-takes-all season finale between the final four remaining drivers at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

Maybe if they did it like college basketball, regular season champ and tourney champ, but still sounds Mickey Mouse.

Don't like the poposed change! I'd say either have 12 or 14 drivers in the Chase and then drop the low 3 after 2 races, then drop 4 more afer 4 races then drop, then drop 3 more after 6 races then 2 more after 8 races and leave on 2 drivers o compete for the final 2 races and reset the points with the two drivers only being 2 points between them for the final to races.

Or if not the above, what are the possibilities of any of the top 10 drivers being eligible to compete for the Chase after 8 races? Most of the drivers with the exception of 2 or 3 wouldn't be eligible after 8 races. That's why I say cut the field after so many races. Only Jimmie Johnson has come back to win aftertwo DNF's the first two races and won 5 of the last 6 one year. Would that elimintate him early if it happened again? Possibly after 3 races, yes. Would that make more people happy?

Last edited:
I am fine with it. I just demand that a provision be carved out that gets Jeff Gordon in the chase if he does not qualify from his on track performance.

How about a 36 race season with points on wins, placement each race, laps led, etc with whoever proves to be the best over the races goes home champ?

It's a knee jerk reaction, but it certainly solves the issue of manipulating race results.

The computer that runs the BCS is probably looking for work. Perhaps we can just have it decide who the champ is at the end of the year. Annoyingly any driver from Alabama will claim they won it every year.

In all seriousness I understand why they are constantly fiddling with the points. They have one of the longest seasons in all of sports and they want to make sure every race is important from start to finish. Problem is racing isn't football and you have to reward for those who can get it quality finishes on a regular basis. Problem is getting 25 top 10s ain't too exciting.

I think once the "Chase" or what ever you call it starts. Where it be 10, 12, 15 drivers whatever. The points should be reset for those guys to "0" where ever one in the chase gets a fair shot at winning it. The best guy in those 8 to 10 races or so wins it all, however I am open to the idea of dropping the guys on the tail end to get down to say 5 drivers in the final race or even better drop to who has the most points over the final two races.

I think once the "Chase" or what ever you call it starts. Where it be 10, 12, 15 drivers whatever. The points should be reset for those guys to "0" where ever one in the chase gets a fair shot at winning it. The best guy in those 8 to 10 races or so wins it all, however I am open to the idea of dropping the guys on the tail end to get down to say 5 drivers in the final race or even better drop to who has the most points over the final two races.

I don't see a problem with what you are saying but that just means that they would have to put even more weight on winning during the "regular" season. I think that's what Nascar is trying to do with some of the rule changes is make winning races more valuable in the points standings.

I used to follow the sport closely and go to Bristol. Not any more. When the Chase started it opened up too many cans of worms that continue to smell while the people started losing interest and stopped going to races and stopped watching on TV and advertisers kept pulling out and multi car teams kept controlling competition and stupid restrictor plates kept creating demolition derbies and stupid cars of tomorrow kept reducing the ability to really race and kept reducing the importance of car manufacturers, etc., etc. Everybody has a different take on it and that's just mine.

Just say no to Danica while you are at it. It's nothing but WWE now to me.

Guys will still be points racing the 1st 35 races. I call BS. Bring back my grandfather's NASCAR.

Problem is racing isn't football
This is the problem Nascar will always have. The chase is going head to head ith the NFL. That's a battle that Nascar will never win. They have to do something to try to generate interest.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I like that idea a lot. NASCAR is about the show, that would provide some interesting scenarios during the chase.

Going to watch again this season - TV coverage is finally secured again over here after two seasons of zilch.

VN Store

Back