The Oakland A's- MLB's newest AAAA team

volfanbill

Just a counterfeit James Dean
Now that I know I'm the only A's fan on board, it's time for a thread, even if I'm the only one that ever posts in here.

I've been very negative about the A's in other threads lately, but looking at the lineup the only thing that scares me is our outfield and Suzuki behind the plate. Call it spring training optimism, but I'm beginning to feel better and better about this lineup. I'm going to pretend that Chavez, Ellis, Crosby and Harden are all going to be healthy for the majority of the season. I'm also going to assume that Daric Barton is going to continue his late season success and be a .300+ hitter all season. I'll also be pretending that Dan Johnson and Jack Cust don't fall into black holes and go on some of their historic hitless streaks.

All that being said (and I'm afraid my sarcasm isn't evident enough up there), I'm seriously not too worried about the pitching staff. Blanton has what it takes, now it's time to show the world. Even if Harden does get injured, I'm comfortable with Duke, Gaudin and DiNardo rounding out the top 4. The BP is where I feel the most comfortable. Calero and Foulke will anchor the relievers and I think Casilla, Lugo, Embree and Dan Meyers will make important contributions. Huston Street scares the crap out of me with how many men he lets get on base, but he gets the saves so while it may cause some gray hairs, I'm happy he didn't get traded (yet anyways).

If someone else actually posts in here, I'll be ecstatic.

though i generally don't believe in sports bigamy the As are my second favorite MLB team due primarily to fact that when going to Cal I could go to a game for $5.

As usual they have some good talent, but i can't see them beating out the angels.

though i generally don't believe in sports bigamy the As are my second favorite MLB team due primarily to fact that when going to Cal I could go to a game for $5.

who would be your #1 team?

If someone else actually posts in here, I'll be ecstatic.
Well, if you insist...

200px-KirkGibson.jpg

what the crap. Spamming an Oakland A's thread in a Tennessee Volunteers message board? craziness.

Bill, you are not alone.

(and by join dates, I was here first, but that doesn't matter.)

As A's fans, we have to suck it up and realize that we are gonna be awful this year. 90-100 loss awful. but I think that it may be Very Temporary, due to the prospects Beane has picked up in all these trades. remember, he knows what he's doing. what needs to happen now is a setup that will work in the postseason.

I predict over 90 losses, and the Rookie of the year. we'll be back in 09. Hit us while you can, and enjoy it.

And while I'm at it, I will go to my grave believing that the A's threw the 90 series. it's just never been fully investigated.

either that, or that week's shipment of Roids didn't arrive on time. when you don't use FedEx......

I hope Deno does well in CF for the A's this year. Isn't he the projected starter?

You may think I'm insane and I probably am, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see Emil Brown get the CF spot and Deno wind up in right or left. Not sure who has the better arm between Deno and Buck, but obviously, the better arm goes to right, the other at left. Either way, Deno will definitely be a starter.

As A's fans, we have to suck it up and realize that we are gonna be awful this year. 90-100 loss awful. but I think that it may be Very Temporary, due to the prospects Beane has picked up in all these trades. remember, he knows what he's doing. what needs to happen now is a setup that will work in the postseason.

I predict over 90 losses, and the Rookie of the year. we'll be back in 09. Hit us while you can, and enjoy it.

And while I'm at it, I will go to my grave believing that the A's threw the 90 series. it's just never been fully investigated.

either that, or that week's shipment of Roids didn't arrive on time. when you don't use FedEx......

Very glad to know I'm not alone. I think 80 losses is realistic, but 90-100 I think is a bit much. I'm really not too worried about pitching, so I think that will win us a few more ballgames than we should win.

Basically I'm hoping to see Chavez healthy, see what the young kids can do, and most importantly I'm looking forward to be able to say "WHAT THE FOULKE" again every time Keith Foulke comes in as a reliever. Time will tell if Beane made the right moves. Losing Swisher really hurt a lot.

By the way, I really love the missed roids shipment comment. Very classy. I'm glad no one in the know has ever put together all the Oakland tie-ins with all the steroid controversies.

You may think I'm insane and I probably am, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see Emil Brown get the CF spot and Deno wind up in right or left. Not sure who has the better arm between Deno and Buck, but obviously, the better arm goes to right, the other at left. Either way, Deno will definitely be a starter.
Good for him then. I always liked Deno.

Losing Swisher hurt a lot.

By the way, I really love the missed roids shipment comment. Very classy. I'm glad no one in the know has ever put together all the Oakland tie-ins with all the steroid controversies.

I was super pissed when I heard about Swish, as he was easily my favorite current A. But then I got to looking around some White Sox fan boards, and saw that some of them were LIVID about swapping Sweeney for Swisher. They saw Sweeney as the future of the franchise. so I think we may have gotten the better end of that one after all.

and know that the every time Canseco opens his mouth, part of my childhood dies. If 1988 and 89 hadn't happened, I may not ever have been a sports fan. but as long as nobody catches Bob Welch or Eckersley, I think our Lone title from that era is safe.

I was super pissed when I heard about Swish, as he was easily my favorite current A. But then I got to looking around some White Sox fan boards, and saw that some of them were LIVID about swapping Sweeney for Swisher. They saw Sweeney as the future of the franchise. so I think we may have gotten the better end of that one after all.

and know that the every time Canseco opens his mouth, part of my childhood dies. If 1988 and 89 hadn't happened, I may not ever have been a sports fan. but as long as nobody catches Bob Welch or Eckersley, I think our Lone title from that era is safe.

The question from what I've read though is whether or not Sweeney is remotely close to being ready for the big leagues. I hope he's not rushed out there because everyone panics when (if) the A's start out 2-30 of something.

Joe Blanton gets roughed up in Oakland's spring training debut and the offense chalked up ten hits but only got one run out it. Pathetic.

Blanton: 8 H, 6 R (all earned), one very very deep home run.

Joe Blanton gets roughed up in Oakland's spring training debut and the offense chalked up ten hits but only got one run out it. Pathetic.

Blanton: 8 H, 6 R (all earned), one very very deep home run.
I know its early but I get happier about the Reds not doing that trade everyday.

A's turn the tables on the Brew Crew today, winning 11-4. Jack Cust had two jacks in his first two AB's of the spring.

VN Store

Back