The Atlanta Braves (thread 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that earlier on Sports Center. Interesting.

It's difficult to continue supporting the Braves these days. It's one thing for the team to decline in the natural order of things; it's another to watch the team get rid of anybody that gets a raise, just to meet some arbitrary budget levels that theoretically facilitate the sale of the team. And oh yeah, Time Warner didn't want to sell the team to an actual owner, who might want to spend money on the team because he cares about winning; they'd rather sell it to another anonymous media group because they can avoid paying taxes since it's just a "stock transfer." It's hard to be a fan when it's so obvious that the entire organization views itself as part of a business portfolio. (I know that's the way all pro teams are, but with the Braves it's become impossible to maintain the willing suspension of disbelief a fan needs.)

I knew the Braves were in trouble when Ted Turner merged his company into the Time Warner empire. I had no idea just bad it was going to get, though. It's not even that LaRoche, et al. are particularly great players; it's just that you know the only reason these moves are being made are for payroll. They have nothing to do with baseball.

I like LaRoche. Who is going to play 1st base?

I just hope they don't platoon. Braves seem to always platoon at first base. Last first baseman they had that I can think of that hit left and right handed pitching all season was Fred McGriff.

Bad trade. Dont agree at all. Wow, my braves are falling apart. But I guess thats why Im not the GM.

I never was a LaRoche fan and the Braves definately needed to upgrade the bullpen. Thorman has a good glove and can hit but I bet the replace is in the minors. I remember the Braves of the 70's and 80's so this is nothing.

The Bullpen looks like one of the best in the majors at the moment but somebody has to put runs on the board

Great move by the Braves. LaRoche had a hot second half of last year and Shurholtz sold high on him. Thorman will be a very serviceable bat at First Base and the back of the bullpen has gone from being the worst in baseball to now one of the best.

That would seem like a logical move at some point, but everything I read indicates that they aren't going to do that.

Perfect... LaRoche killed the Cardinals last year in their two series', now he's in their friggin' division.

Doesn't he have a mild form of ADD, too?

All you have to do to get Laroche out is release a couple of butterflies during his at bat to distract him. Dude has SERIOUS ADD issues.

:lol:

I'm remembering that grounder to first that he fielded and proceeded to just casually stroll back to the base, as the batter ran right by him and was safe at first.

Me too . . . With a bullpen like they are going to have and Smoltz and Hudson at the top of the rotation, if James, Hampton etc can just be average, the Braves ought to have some pretty good pitching.

:lol:

I'm remembering that grounder to first that he fielded and proceeded to just casually stroll back to the base, as the batter ran right by him and was safe at first.

Exactly . . . That is just the tip of the iceberg with Laroche. All through the minor leagues he had issues with "brain freeze" moments like that. I'm not saying it to be funny either . . . the guy really has Attention Deficit issues. There was actually a mini controversey last year about the fact that he had such a great second half after he was medicated for the first time in his life.

I hope our bats start off hot and stay that way,all of em, and I'm excited about the Braves this year actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back