Is Derek jeter on the Rushmore of Yankees

BeattieFeathers

Who does he replace? Ruth? The greatest ever? No way! Gehrig? Are you kidding? Dimaggio? In the 90s was recognized as the greatest living ballplayers. Never! Mantle? Your kidding right?

Why does he have to "replace" any of them on this imaginary Rushmore? It's imaginary, so it can have as many faces as it takes. Jeter should be mentioned in the same breath as Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig and DiMaggio. Also, Joe Torre should be up there as well.

So hard to make this call since the game is so different from yesteryear. Are pitchers on this too?

My Yankee Mt. Rushmore would read: Ruth, DiMaggio, Rivera, and Torre. Not a popular collection for many, but that is how I see it.

Don't get me wrong, that's a tough task to narrow down to just 4 guys. As much as I love these other guys, I keep coming back to those 4.

Others receiving votes would be Mantle, Gehrig, Jeter, Whitey Ford, and maybe Mattingly.

This debate could last forever though.

Tough to do pitchers as I view several of them as hired guns. Hell, David Cone would be in the mix if we went that route. Rivera gets a nod from me because he was the most dominate of all time and he did it for a really long time.

Joe Torre over Mickey Mantle and Lou Gehrig and Yogi Berra and Bill Dickey and Whitey Ford and Catfish Hunter (and Casey Stengel) is funny. Why not just pick a batboy?

Reactions: 2 people
To me, the Yankees' Rushmore is reserved for some mix of Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Berra, and Rivera. The next group down would include Mantle, Munson, Torre, Combs, and Jeter.

I think the boringly obvious answer is the correct one: Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle. Rivera's the greatest relief pitcher of all time but he still only pitched 75 innings a year. I could consider a starting pitcher but the Yankees have never had one of the truly top-shelf all-timers.

I think the boringly obvious answer is the correct one: Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle. Rivera's the greatest relief pitcher of all time but he still only pitched 75 innings a year. I could consider a starting pitcher but the Yankees have never had one of the truly top-shelf all-timers.

Whitey Ford?

Why does he have to "replace" any of them on this imaginary Rushmore? It's imaginary, so it can have as many faces as it takes. Jeter should be mentioned in the same breath as Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig and DiMaggio. Also, Joe Torre should be up there as well.

because the point is to name the all time greatest. Not a bunch of faces.

Yogi, Joe, Gehrig, Ruth, Mickey, Ford and Ruffing are all guaranteed above Jeter. There's some others in the mix as well.

because the point is to name the all time greatest. Not a bunch of faces.

Yogi, Joe, Gehrig, Ruth, Mickey, Ford and Ruffing are all guaranteed above Jeter. There's some others in the mix as well.

How about a post 1980 Rushmore? Jeter, Reggie Jackson,Winfield,mattingly?

How about a post 1980 Rushmore? Jeter, Reggie Jackson,Winfield,mattingly?

Think you'd have to replace Jackson with either Bernie or Mo. Jackson was an Angel by '82. I would probably even knock Winfield off to even and add both Bernie and Mo.

They had one whom sportwriters of his era speculated would have become one of the top five lefthanders of all time if he had continued to pitch for the duration of his career. Of course, the Yankees decided that it was in their best interests that George Herman Ruth play every day as a position player. Consequently, he pitched in only five games as a Yankee. Even so, his career stats compare very favorably with Mariano Rivera's. Ruth was 94-46, with 4 saves and a lifetime 2.28 ERA. Rivera finished 82-60, with 1173 strikeouts, 652 saves and a 2.21 ERA. See Babe Ruth Stats - ESPN and Mariano Rivera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back