RIP Tony Gwynn

GAVol

Overrated
Staff member
Dead at 54. Knew he had health problems but didn't realize it was that bad.

Pure professional hitter. Owned Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz. 8 batting titles. 19 consecutive .300 seasons.

Two pitchers he faced the most were Maddux and Glavine. He hit .338 against them combined and hit .415 with zero strikeouts against Maddux.

Reactions: 1 person
Gwynn in 1987 hit .370 with 13 triples and 56 stolen bases.

35 strikeouts in 680 plate appearances.

"My baseball card looks awesome because it has San Diego all the way down. I grew up in an environment where that kind of stuff was important."

-Tony Gwynn

Reactions: 1 person
Grew up following him. One of the best hitters to play the game. So sad. I never knew his health problems were this bad either, so it's a bit of a shock. R.I.P.

Man I have got to quit dipping.

RIP Tony. What a great player he was.

If I can quit, anyone can. Quit cold turkey last year at 31. I had been dipping Copenhagen since I was 15.

If you want to quit, you can quit. Also, it doesn't hurt to pray about it. I would say that is truly what helped this last time stick after having failed attempts other times before.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people
Add me to the list that didn't realize his health was that bad. I had just read this morning how he'd signed an extension at San Diego St. as their baseball coach, so I assumed he was ok.

He's one of the pro baseball players I grew up idolizing as a kid. One of the all time greats. Prayers to his family

Smh literally. Farewell to the best hitter I ever saw.

I feel like a piece of my (our) younger days passed away with him.

Sad to hear this. Not just because he was a great ballplayer, but he was a great person. Always had a smile on his face.

Over a 5 year period, Gwynn hit .335 with 2 strikes.

Over that same period, only mike piazza hit over .335 overall.

Tony Gwynn struck out only 434 times in his career, the second-fewest of any member of the 3,000-hit club.

VN Store

Back