2011-2012 MLB offseason thread

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
We need one. Just sayin.

First big news of the year: Jonathan Papelbon gets a 4/50M deal. Bad deal IMO.

He's still pretty darn good.
They have the money to burn.

Oh well on Pap, he still has plenty left in the tank I suppose but I was nervous every time he took the mound.

I think Daniel Bard can do the same for a fraction of the price.

Former Montreal Expo Charlie Lea passed away today. He was 54.

Threw a no-hitter in 1981 and was an All Star selection in 1984.

Played for the Memphis Tigers and Chicks back in the 70s. Sad day.

The average age of the Philly offense is 63 and they are spending 50 mil on a closer...

Sure they got the money to spend but man some of those contracts are gonna haunt them for quite awhile.

Update: Matt Kemp becomes very, very rich man after being the best player in the league a year ago.

How can MLB approve a 8 year/$160M contract when nobody owns the team? Seriously?

How can MLB approve a 8 year/$160M contract when nobody owns the team? Seriously?

From what I've read, Selig and MLB want them to spend money to keep the franchise value up going into a sale. The other owners approve since it affects the value of their franchises. As a Dodgers fan, I'm happy.

Last time I checked, McCourt owns the team.. and can sign whoever he wants..
Somebody would rather buy the Dodgers with Matt Kemp than without. He's their only draw besides Kershaw's 14-18ish home starts.

From what I've read, Selig and MLB want them to spend money to keep the franchise value up going into a sale. The other owners approve since it affects the value of their franchises. As a Dodgers fan, I'm happy.

Of course you're happy, you get to keep your best player

The Marlins have offered Pujols 9 years at almost 200 million...From what they say the Cards are not even close to that...But then again he may resign out of loyality

The Astros are moving to the American League in a couple of years. The move will make each league have an odd number of teams (15) and therefore likely create an interleague game each night.

What are your thoughts on their move to the AL West?

Do you think a nightly interleague game will take away from the World Series?

Good question...Not sure how I feel about that kind of set up...I think it would take away some of the excitement of playing a team you normally wouldn't play....Should be interesting to see where everybody ends up.

They should just expand to 16 teams in each league and go to 4 teams in 4 divisions in each league. I think Charlotte could support a team but who else? Maybe Portland or Indianapolis with a smaller stadium closer to 30,000 seats.

I don't see MLB expanding in the near future though. I love baseball but apparently a lot of other people don't by looking at their TV ratings.

I believe contraction would be better than expansion, but the union will never go for it. I also loathe the idea of interleague play every night, simply because I loathe the idea of the DH.

Reactions: 1 person
So will there be 2 new spots for each division or 2 in all, for playoffs? Will it be an NFL playoff format? I'm excited to hear of this.

If they are going to play interleague every night, then they are going to have to do something with the DH.

If they are going to play interleague every night, then they are going to have to do something with the DH.

No they're not. It would just remain the same way it's always been based on the home team being National or American League.

MLB should go to 2 16-team leagues and institute a hard salary cap. It would spread the talent around the league and increase TV ratings in cities that now feel like they don't ever have a chance to win. Why is the NFL huge? Because it's designed to not have organizations like the Yankees and the Red Sox.

VN Store

Back