Game Thread WCWS Lady Vols vs Oklahoma

The team would not have reached this game if it weren't for Lauren Gibson. She scored a run tonight. The wind moved the ball so far that the other fielder overran it. Gibson is a great player who has to shake this one off. I'm not going to sugar coat. Winning this game would have been huge, but they didn't.

Reactions: 1 person
If Ivy's job throughout the season has been to be Ellen's closer and get the save, then she should have been pitching when we went up 3-0. But, if the sisters finish their own games more often than not, then that's a tough decision to make. It's easy to say, after the game, that Ivy should have been in. But, if Ivy would have lost it, we'd all be wondering why the lady who threw 10 shutout innings did not stay in. That said, I would have definitely switched pitchers after they tied it.

Last edited:
how am I not being rational? Bc I'm not agreeing with the coaches... nd why cant you compare...its a ball pitched against a batter trying to hit it...Ellen did awesome...Ivy brings in the power pitch...gives the batters a different view

because your not a coach. let Vol nation know your job, and I will show you how easily it is to second guess every thing you do. trust me it will not be rational. just like your not being rational with this. its a guess at best, and not an educated guess.

Or, we could blame everyone in this thread who created a massive jinx by calling this game when we were leading the #1 team in the country by three runs.

Good luck to the ladies tomm. I'm done with it though. Tired of this BS. Hope they come back and win. Good luck lady vols

This is not an excuse to screw up a routine play, but the girl who hit the first triple was out at 3rd. Donte Stallworth tweeted photo evidence proving it.

Of course she was. Tired of every BS call going against us. **** that blind ass umpire.

Reactions: 1 person
That was just really unfortunate, and the missed call at third is just crushing.

I hope they come out strong tomorrow offensively because, let's face it, Oklahoma isn't being held scoreless through 7 again.

It seems to me - at least in the WCWS - that Ellen is given enough rope to figuratively hang herself - and then some - but Ivy is taken out at the first sign of trouble. I would have considered bringing Ivy in in the 11th, but there is no way I would have ever had Ellen pitch the 12th. She was just too shaken up. You could tell by how she looked in the dugout in the top of the 12th and in the circle in the bottom of the inning.

It wasnt nerves. Fatigue maybe (probably??) but not nerves. Those Renfrew girls are not going to have issues with nerves.

I would agree in 99 percent of situations, but I would be hard pressed to find anybody who would not have been unnerved by what happened on that stage, even professionals.

Ivy absolutely has to pitch tomorrow. We can still win this, but we need a fresh face out there in the circle after what happened tonight.

Bad coaching and an error at first base killed us tonight.

With a lead, you always have your outfield playing deep enough to keep the ball from getting by them even if it's hit in the gap. This is fundamental stuff any Little League coach could tell you.

Two times, the first baseman was completely lost on what should have been routine outs. The first error didn't end up hurting us. The second was inexcusable.

Ellen Renfroe pitched a phenomenal game and it's a shame to see such a fine effort squandered by ineptitude like we saw tonight.

BTW, the comments about the OU pitchers figure are bad form and reflects poorly on all of us. Do the rest of us a favor and keep comments like that to yourself. :nono:

because your not a coach. let Vol nation know your job, and I will show you how easily it is toj second guess every thing you do. trust me it will not be rational. just like your not being rational with this. its a guess at best, and not an educated guess.

haha...bc I'm not a coach I'm not rational...haha...for the record I am a Train Dispatcher...its my job to make decisions every minute of an 8 hr shift...the lives of fellow railroaders depend on me to make the right one

It seems to me - at least in the WCWS - that Ellen is given enough rope to figuratively hang herself - and then some - but Ivy is taken out at the first sign of trouble. I would have considered bringing Ivy in in the 11th, but there is no way I would have ever had Ellen pitch the 12th. She was just too shaken up. You could tell by how she looked in the dugout in the top of the 12th and in the circle in the bottom of the inning.

I would agree in 99 percent of situations, but I would be hard pressed to find anybody who would not have been unnerved by what happened on that stage, even professionals.

Ivy absolutely has to pitch tomorrow. We can still win this, but we need a fresh face out there in the circle after what happened tonight.

watch out....AlwaysVol will say your not rational bc your not a coach

I agree with u....

You don't play your outfielders deep when slap-hitters are at the plate. People who only watch baseball don't get it. They would've just bloop hit us to death and then everyone would blame the coaches for having them too deep. It's very rare for a slap hitter to hit one ball that deep, much less two.

Bad coaching and an error at first base killed us tonight.

With a lead, you always have your outfield playing deep enough to keep the ball from getting by them even if it's hit in the gap. This is fundamental stuff any Little League coach could tell you.

Two times, the first baseman was completely lost on what should have been routine outs. The first error didn't end up hurting us. The second was inexcusable.

Ellen Renfroe pitched a phenomenal game and it's a shame to see such a fine effort squandered by ineptitude like we saw tonight.

BTW, the comments about the OU pitchers figure are bad form and reflects poorly on all of us. Do the rest of us a favor and keep comments like that to yourself. :nono:

I play in an adult kickball league (yes, kickball), and we know enough to move the OF back when the tying run is at the plate with two outs.

You don't play your outfielders deep when slap-hitters are at the plate. People who only watch baseball don't get it. They would've just bloop hit us to death and then everyone would blame the coaches for having them too deep. It's very rare for a slap hitter to hit one ball that deep, much less two.

while I agree with u on this 99.9% of the time...tonight with the wind blowing hard towards center...she prob should have played deeper...that ball was wind aided...

This is a shame we got hosed by that call at 3rd she was clearly out and also on the same batter that pitch was a strike also I agree Ivy should have ptched the 12th you can see in the dugout she was clearly shakin badly I don't know if I'm going to sleep well tonight I just have to imagine what our girls are going through but I hope they shake it off and win the next 2.

I don't care if they were slap hitters. They could have both hit singles in front of a backed-up OF, and we would have been up 3-2 with two runners on. When it was 3-1, you have to avoid giving up an extra base hit.

I play in an adult kickball league (yes, kickball), and we know enough to move the OF back when the tying run is at the plate with two outs.

Middle school softball basics. Tired of this losing mentality. Should be 1-0 vols lead. Unfreaking real they found a way to lose this game. It's almost unthinkable.

The tying run was on 3rd base. No way to prevent that score on any base hit. If she had been on 2nd, I'd agree with you. If they had backed up the outfielders deep and then their slap hitter blooped one into the outfield (which is usually more likely than them hitting it to the warning track), then everyone would blame the coaches for having the outfielders too deep.

POST OF THE YEAR....thats awesome...adult Kickball league...just awesome...seriously

The tying run was on 3rd base. No way to prevent that score on any base hit. If she had been on 2nd, I'd agree with you. If they had backed up the outfielders deep and then their slap hitter blooped one into the outfield (which is usually more likely than them hitting it to the warning track), then everyone would blame the coaches for having the outfielders too deep.

Buddy, we were up 3-1 with a girl on third, and the OF played IN with the tying run at the plate. The "triple" that followed it put the tying run on 3rd.

VN Store

Back