Am I missing something?

Maybe kids don't want to come to Tennessee because our fans have a reputation of turning on you if you have a bad game.

Which is true with every program in America except it is over bad seasons, not one game. Five years in a row and counting,

Reactions: 3 people
We have a RB and Safety's coach that should be in the SEC the rest our laughable. Our OC and DC will be severely abused this season ! Dear Good ,WE FAILED big time in the WR coaching department. LB coach sounds like a drunk Sal. The DC will suck Balls and we really needed a home run hire at DC. I think This staff sucks and is last in the SEC .

We have talented players, not all 5* rankings, and you dont have to have all or most 5* rankings to be competitive. IIRC, A&M did pretty well with an unranked or not highly ranked walk on QB this year. Lets see if CBJ can take the great players that we have and make something good happen before we start talking about replacing him with an elite name. The man has been here a very short period of time...give him and these players a chance. I understand the frustration but being defeatist so early in the game will only lead you to greater frustration down the road.
There's a group who turned the page when Jones was hired and who are looking at this as a blank slate. Then there's a group who see the current situation as simply a continuation in the long strand of futility and disappointment that has defined the program for a while now. It'd probably be better for my BP if I was in the first group but I just didn't see hiring CBJ as enough of a gamechanger to expect any significant difference in the results. Signing day is the first opportunity to show me I was wrong to doubt.

Reactions: 2 people
Even though it's water under the bridge, a lot of us are not going to be able to forget and forgive the failure of the UTAD to hire someone who could come in here and draw the elite prospects that we need on starpower alone. If you're going to spend millions to oust Dooley and his staff and millions more to hire CBJ and his guys why not just add a few more million on top and make someone an offer that they really couldn't refuse? I can almost guarantee that we will wind up spending the money it would've taken to make a splash hire on the backend when we're paying CBJ's buyout in 3-4 years. If even 10% of UT fans feel the way I do, it's a huge probelm for the UTAD. They really just need to close out strong and give us something to rally around.

At least somebody gets it. gasguy98 and a few others are beginning to as well.

The two village idiots did a bandaid hire to buy themselves a few more years to build their personal income and retirements. The BOT stupidly went along with it. The bandaid hire may get lucky and pull it off. If he doesn't he still won the lottery.

We have a RB and Safety's coach that should be in the SEC the rest our laughable. Our OC and DC will be severely abused this season ! Dear Good ,WE FAILED big time in the WR coaching department. LB coach sounds like a drunk Sal. The DC will suck Balls and we really needed a home run hire at DC. I think This staff sucks and is last in the SEC .
I feel like a 5* sunshine pumper after that one.

Reactions: 1 person
I feel like a 5* sunshine pumper after that one.

want a cookie? I bet this made you feel good as well ""Cody Clay chooses Division II school over Tennessee"" This staff has yet to close the door with any recruit other than a crappy OT and TE that was headed to Cincy! I know , we just had a coaching change ,I know all those excuses you guys will pump out. It's not stopping ARK,AUB and Vandy is blowing our socks off with High school facility's!

Reactions: 4 people
I wouldn't give up hope just yet on this year's recruiting class. While we've lost commits that bolted when Dooley left, there are still some big fish out there that CBJ could reel in. CBJ is playing catch up, and recruiting is based alot on relationships that are built over 1+ year. However, Tennessee historically has finished well on NSD.

Also, keep in mind that the difference in recruiting ranks right now in the lower rungs is:

(1) A function of how many a school has (we don't have but 18 right now), so the ranking will go up if we fill out our class... even if they're all 3*; and

(2) One single 5* or a couple 4*s similarly makes a huge difference in the lower rungs. We would jump 10-15 spots up if we land only one 5*

Keep the faith. CBJ fielded a pretty good *team* with marginal talent. In contrast, CDD fielded a crappy team with lots of 4* talent.

View attachment 55766

Man what's up with this pic. Did the police catch em skinny dipping or something? I'm just going to assume they were. I'd take a couple of them to the house! At the same time

31st ranked class (rivals)? Ole Miss out recruiting us along with Vandy and the usual suspects? Fulmers worst class was in the 30's.

How are we supposed to get back to at least competing without the players to do it?

Auburn just had a coaching change and a worse season that we did but they are of course out recruiting us buy a mile. So is West Virginia and OK State. What am I missing?

If we can't do better than this then we are in trouble.
Hello Kentucky part II.

What is going on? Is there a realistic chance that we get a bunch of good news on the 6th (or 7th)?

I think you make a great point.... I have my doubts about CBJ for sure, I hope he does well, but we can't have many swings and misses with guys like Green and still compete in the SEC.... that is just how it is

I am willing to give him a chance to prove himself, but i think the jury is still out...

There are the so called Debbie-downers who think the sky is falling and then there are the sun-shine pumpers who think we will win the SEC in next two years..................... Truth probably is between the two... That is the best I can hope for

There's a group who turned the page when Jones was hired and who are looking at this as a blank slate. Then there's a group who see the current situation as simply a continuation in the long strand of futility and disappointment that has defined the program for a while now. It'd probably be better for my BP if I was in the first group but I just didn't see hiring CBJ as enough of a gamechanger to expect any significant difference in the results. Signing day is the first opportunity to show me I was wrong to doubt.

I can agree with this. I expected and wanted a more prominent coach with SEC pedigree...a gamechanger. I am hopeful that he can bring his winning resume here and do the same...time will tell. We all have our view of where we are but for our health sake, and I mean personally and our team, we have to not punish CBJ for the actions, inactions, inability or what the case of the previous regime or UTAD. The man came here, he is our coach. Is he what I was looking for....not 1st or 21st selection, I didn't even know him, but regardless of who or what I wanted, it is not what I have. I can't punish him for coming here and I can't punish him for something he had little control over this year...next NSD I will expect improvement.

Also, most 17 year old recruits started paying attention to college football about when our program went into the crapper.

Even though it's water under the bridge, a lot of us are not going to be able to forget and forgive the failure of the UTAD to hire someone who could come in here and draw the elite prospects that we need on starpower alone. If you're going to spend millions to oust Dooley and his staff and millions more to hire CBJ and his guys why not just add a few more million on top and make someone an offer that they really couldn't refuse? I can almost guarantee that we will wind up spending the money it would've taken to make a splash hire on the backend when we're paying CBJ's buyout in 3-4 years. If even 10% of UT fans feel the way I do, it's a huge probelm for the UTAD. They really just need to close out strong and give us something to rally around.

You're throwing a lot of %'s and absolutes out in your rush to be first in predicting failure...I don't know that you're wrong in your predictions but I KNOW you're not right...BECAUSE IT HASN'T HAPPENED YET!!! If you end up correctly telling us so you win nothing if you're wrong we won't hear you own up to it you'll either get on board, stop posting or change your screen name...for clear honesty purposes I'll admit that I supported the Dooley era until after the Missouri game...the fact that the powers that be would have retained him with a Vandy win would have been uncomfortable for true TN fans if he had been but we have a new coach and I'll support him until he shows he doesn't deserve it...if that ever happens..I sleep like a baby with this approach and have the same amount of prediction trophies (0) as you sunshine dumpers
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Let's hear you in November..you may end up right...I predict true fans will be happy with what we see out on the field

I can agree with this. I expected and wanted a more prominent coach with SEC pedigree...a gamechanger. I am hopeful that he can bring his winning resume here and do the same...time will tell. We all have our view of where we are but for our health sake, and I mean personally and our team, we have to not punish CBJ for the actions, inactions, inability or what the case of the previous regime or UTAD. The man came here, he is our coach. Is he what I was looking for....not 1st or 21st selection, I didn't even know him, but regardless of who or what I wanted, it is not what I have. I can't punish him for coming here and I can't punish him for something he had little control over this year...next NSD I will expect improvement.

I like this approach and viewpoint as well...good post

Let's hear you in November..you may end up right...I predict true fans will be happy with what we see out on the field
true fans.... get Over your self! I bleed Orange not Butch! The AD's have sunk Our Football Program ...This staff is not the best staff we could have assembled!

This thread is laughable...a bunch of whiners using our current ranking as a sign that the sky is falling while exposing their complete lack of knowledge of how the rankings work...

If Lawson committed right now (which even Rivals is saying is looking likely for us) we would jump all the way to 16th place and surpass every team that has been mentioned in this thread except Ole Miss...one commit would cut our ranking in half...

Our ranking will be significantly differant on NSD...and I'm marking this thread as one that I am going to bump that day

Reactions: 2 people
You may have overlooked the coaching change that happened a month or so ago, and the three straight losing seasons (and 4 in 5 years).

Need to level set your expectations.

But the class will finish in the top 20 regardless. Check back on NSD. You will see.

A lot of factors as to why this years class won't be where we all would like. Hopefully we close well with Bell, Lawson, maybe North and A running back from anywhere. That being said, the '14 class is gonna be the one to look at. CBJ already has a decent commit list going and like everyone says, it takes time to develop relationships. A winning season with a bowl appearance ut gonna be crucial this year to show forward/positive momentum to potential recruits

I think you make a great point.... I have my doubts about CBJ for sure, I hope he does well, but we can't have many swings and misses with guys like Green and still compete in the SEC.... that is just how it is

I am willing to give him a chance to prove himself, but i think the jury is still out...

There are the so called Debbie-downers who think the sky is falling and then there are the sun-shine pumpers who think we will win the SEC in next two years..................... Truth probably is between the two... That is the best I can hope for

I deal in facts. The facts are that some extremely poor decisions were made that hurt this program severly. These poor decisions have translated to a program with just about as much tradition and winning as anyone into a pathetic circus to watch on the field. The facts are that our arch enemy has now created probably the most dominating dynasty in the history of college football, Jawja is always a play or two away from playing for a NC, Florida gaining strength, Auburn continuing to haul elite talent despite winning 1 conference game last year and Arky, Vandy and Ole Miss emerging as contenders. The fact is that our class is not going to be what it needs to be to be competing for honourable mention in the SEC.

These are the facts and they are undisputable. As you write, right now all we have is hope. Hope that this bunch of coaches, most of whom have not any real SEC experience, can get these guys to play. Hope that they can close strong and get a class that has enough SEC calibre players to give us more hope. I think there is some talent on the team, not as much as we need, but enough to maybe win a conference game or 2. We need to pull some upsets for the "hope" to continue. If we get no upsets this year then the hour glass is turned again. For the love of Pete I hope someone in the AD has something resembling a plan in the event Jones continues in pathetic Dooley's footsteps. If not we are really talking about a dead program.

31st ranked class (rivals)? Ole Miss out recruiting us along with Vandy and the usual suspects? Fulmers worst class was in the 30's.

How are we supposed to get back to at least competing without the players to do it?

Auburn just had a coaching change and a worse season that we did but they are of course out recruiting us buy a mile. So is West Virginia and OK State. What am I missing?

If we can't do better than this then we are in trouble.
Hello Kentucky part II.

What is going on? Is there a realistic chance that we get a bunch of good news on the 6th (or 7th)?

Back to back 5 - 7 seasons, losing seasons 3 out of 4, new coaching that has less than 2 months to build relationships, that is why 31st rank class at this point is amazing and if we can get just 1 of these top players to commit, we should feel really good about this class. GBO!!

This thread is laughable...a bunch of whiners using our current ranking as a sign that the sky is falling while exposing their complete lack of knowledge of how the rankings work...

If Lawson committed right now (which even Rivals is saying is looking likely for us) we would jump all the way to 16th place and surpass every team that has been mentioned in this thread except Ole Miss...one commit would cut our ranking in half...

Our ranking will be significantly differant on NSD...and I'm marking this thread as one that I am going to bump that day

Please do, I hope you are right.

Back to back 5 - 7 seasons, losing seasons 3 out of 4, new coaching that has less than 2 months to build relationships, that is why 31st rank class at this point is amazing and if we can get just 1 of these top players to commit, we should feel really good about this class. GBO!!

Why is Auburn doing so well when they won what...4 games last year AND have a goofball new HC?

Why is Auburn doing so well when they won what...4 games last year AND have a goofball new HC?

That goofball HC won a national championship two years ago with that same Auburn, that is easy to sell to kids. He can say I wasn't here last year and Auburn tanked, I'm back come play for me and we win another national title, kids want to win now. GBO!!!!

That goofball HC won a national championship two years ago with that same Auburn, that is easy to sell to kids. He can say I wasn't here last year and Auburn tanked, I'm back come play for me and we win another national title, kids want to win now. GBO!!!!

Well he can say that all he wants but anyone, including the recruits, can see it was not Gus but an illegally recruited Cam that won the NC for them. I would think in the dirty world of recruiting that the recruits have been told this by multiple people but alas, they have the 16th ranked class.

I just don't think Cincy caliber players will win at Tennessee. I see we have some offers out to some solid players and some that make you scratch your head.

Gasguy let me first say that I do not disagree with you entirely and I love your passion!
My concern is that when we speak so fervently it has consequences. Recruits considering UT read our blogs to "check the pulse", and if they find signs of blood in the water we don't exactly help Butch and the boys sell our program and bring in the guns we want here. So I have to look at those like coasty, join them, and say we have to support the Vols and try to help sell. I do believe butch has us moving in the right direction and only time will tell if he is the guy. Right now he's our guy and has a tough as heck road with the sec and especially the schedule next season.
So Im shouting "go vols" from the rooftops till we see the need to do otherwise.
If that day comes ill be standing beside you with my pitchfork. But let's not shoot ourselves in the foot along the way

VN Store

Back