Vol uniform/helmet design discussion (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
59855110151180555226850.jpg

This is by far the best black jersey I have seen. Like another person said, replace the faded duck wings with faded checkerboards and you've got yourself a winner.

Reactions: 4 people
Didn't this board explode with mockery of Georgia when they came out in all black a few years ago, even though it is one of their official colors? And now we want to imitate what others have done, despite it not being one of the colors, yet complain about being a laughingstock of the college football world. Seems to me, we'll get made fun of more for this than the product that is on the field, ie what happened to Maryland with that flag uniform.

I'm along with you on the side stripe from the pants to the shirt matching up so long as it looks right and all. I also don't mind when they don't match as I'd done on those.

I don't have a side or 3/4 view of the helmet...yet, but I can easily mock them up if people are interested to see it. I've just been reading through and seeing what people like and don't like and coming up with mock versions based off that stuff as well as my own curiousity as far as what something might look like.

If you are going to entertain requests, why don't you generate a mockup of the orange helmet with white T, juxtaposed against our current road jerseys and orange pants with two white stripes? That would be different but entirely in tradition with our color scheme.

If you are going to entertain requests, why don't you generate a mockup of the orange helmet with white T, juxtaposed against our current road jerseys and orange pants with two white stripes? That would be different but entirely in tradition with our color scheme.

Aiiiiiight, I can do that, just gimme a little bit to tinker with my layers. I don't mind a request to see something, it's Vol family afterall. : )>

How's this? I also used their under shirt with the checkerboard from this year but that can be altered as well. I've not fooled with the shoes or gloves, which is why they are always black currently.

FootballVolUniform5_zpsd930ae57.jpg

I need to add all these versions to my album on here....

How's this? I also used their under shirt with the checkerboard from this year but that can be altered as well. I've not fooled with the shoes or gloves, which is why they are always black currently.

I like that, except would have the white jersey instead of the orange. I'm not against changing styles slightly, like they've done before. I'm against changing the color scheme. Bringing back the orange pants was welcome. If they added an orange helmet to the road uniforms, that'd be cool. I loved the orange collar Dooley had that one year.

I like that, except would have the white jersey instead of the orange. I'm not against changing styles slightly, like they've done before. I'm against changing the color scheme. Bringing back the orange pants was welcome. If they added an orange helmet to the road uniforms, that'd be cool. I loved the orange collar Dooley had that one year.

Well, I can do one like that as well, was just answering a request with that look. : )> Orange trim around the collar wouldn't be tricky to do on a white jersey either. With or without black trim on the numbers though? In my head, it looks fine either way, but that's just me.

Well, I can do one like that as well, was just answering a request with that look. : )> Orange trim around the collar wouldn't be tricky to do on a white jersey either. With or without black trim on the numbers though? In my head, it looks fine either way, but that's just me.

For what I want to really happen, I like the black trim around the numbers and would like it if they put one on the home uniforms. I very much love the current scheme they use now, but if they decided to change, it still needs to be predominantly orange and white, not mostly black or anything.

For the sake of your task, do both. Just to see.

I could dig this, but lose the black on the helmet.

For what I want to really happen, I like the black trim around the numbers and would like it if they put one on the home uniforms. I very much love the current scheme they use now, but if they decided to change, it still needs to be predominantly orange and white, not mostly black or anything.

For the sake of your task, do both. Just to see.

I shoulda known better. ; )>

Ha ha. It's honestly whatever you wanna do. Was mostly just talking. What site/program or whatever do you use for this?

It's no trouble to do both really, working on them now, will most likely post tomorrow.

I found a nice PSD for the Nike Pro Combat design and I use Photoshop. I've also got 3 or 4 PSDs of a close up football helmet at various angles that I can also mock up helmets to view from the front, back, side, and an angle or two.

No, this is supposed to be a road uniform. So, orange helmet, white jersey, orange pants. The orange undershirt is fine and contrasts well with the jersey, but the checkerboard pattern is much larger than what we used this year. Can you do a 3/4 shot too, so we can see how the helmet would look with the white T?

Last edited:
Thank you. I think it's going to awesome. The tradi's in this thread will suffer an aneurysm.

Not really. I am a hardcore traditionalist when it comes to our uniforms, but this proposed change is not radical and entirely consistent with our existing color scheme. This would simply take it to a whole new level in terms of visibility. You can't get much louder, prouder or bolder than orange helmets, white jerseys, orange undershirts and orange pants. It presents a visually balanced composition as well, purely from the standpoint of stylistic analysis.

I agree with Brian, please dispense with the black accent on the helmet stripe. I would prefer to do the same with away game jerseys, but that practice appears to have become rather deeply entrenched now. Nevertheless, I don't consider it our obligation to make our jersey numerals easier to read for opposing coaches or commentators.

Last edited:
They weren't the best uniforms but everyone was pumped when this happened.

That combination looked better than I had anticipated, but I am adamantly opposed to the black-on-black look. It is too radical and relegates our traditional color scheme to an afterthought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back