Official Jon Gruden Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
If something were to go south with Gruden we'll probably end up with Butch Davis.

Just noticed you're a Raiders fan. You literally have 2 teams in the running for Gruden. Yahoo.com has "Gruden to Raiders" as #2 on their "trending" list

Finally, the complete key.

Coach A = Rich Rodriguez (was offered Bama job in year two of Big East before Bama boosters made him withdraw)
Coach B = Tom O'Brien (last few years at BC were in ACC, made lateral move to NC State)
Coach C = Randy Edsall (very much on the hot seat at Maryland)
Coach D = Larry Coker (again kind of cheating, given he never left schools, but Miami lost momentum from Big East to ACC)
Coach E = Brian Kelly (who I can list as an exception because he won at every level, period)

If Strong is hired, I hope that he doesn't become coach F. The other example of jumping from the Big East to the SEC without counting the year at the Falcons is Bobby Petrino.

Last 3 years in Big East
11-1
9-3
12-1

Last 3 years in the SEC before diving off the Harley
8-5
10-3
11-2

Nice! I thought about adding Petrino but the half a season with the Falcons complicated my system. Golden could also be added, but nothing significant one way or the other yet. Frank Beamer could be added too. He continued his success in VT's jump from the Big East to the ACC. Still, the Big East is a much weaker conference now then it has ever been. I wouldn't mind Strong for around 2.75 if there was no one else, but if the Gruden thing is all BS I hope everyone turns us down and forces us to pay a big name.

Actually only one, the Vols. NFL frowns upon that tampering stuff.

I just can't get into NFL. I was onboard for the titans' superbowl run (best superbowl ever). I love watching peyton play...and I used to punt with britton colquitt at bearden...but that's as far into it as I can get. College ball is better. I just wish Gruden could see that.

I don't know why, but that set of tweets has me thinking Fulmer. TBH, at this point, assuming it's not Gruden, Fulmer may be our best option.

If we can't have Chucky, we need some coaches bleeding orange:
HC- Fulmer
OC-Chaney
DC- Chavis
WC- Tee Martin

Hart get on it!

I agree, Butch Davis should be the pick if we stike out with Chucky. If not Davis, fahq it, lets reel in Petrino or Tressel. Those guys along with Gundy are home run hires. Anything else would be an epic failure on Dave "lets play charades" Hart's part.

HONOR THY VOLS...CHERISH THEM...

I get the feeling that if Gruden doesn't come we are gonna hire a coach no one has talked about just like Arkansas did. Not necessarily a no name coach, just one the media didn't force on the public. Any guesses at a coach we could "steal" from another program that would be a big hit?

I just can't get into NFL. I was onboard for the titans' superbowl run (best superbowl ever). I love watching peyton play...and I used to punt with britton colquitt at bearden...but that's as far into it as I can get. College ball is better. I just wish Gruden could see that.

I really think the Raiders rumor is a diversion and Raiders GM/ former Vol Reggie McKenzie is in on it. To convenient that it hits the wires right around the same time we get focused on as the only open SEC coaching slot left.

Gruden going to Davis is a joke! He can't stand him. Reminds me of Kiffin...:cray:

Last edited:
Just curious, but are all of the coaches we are supposedly looking at have Jimmy Sexton as their agent. The reason I asked was some people were referencing Sexton as the one who helped leak the "Gruden to Tennessee" rumors last week. Then, all of a sudden, we are interviewing all of his clients and denying Gruden was anything more than a pipe dream. If we do not hire someone by Friday it makes me wonder if these interviews was just a way to get his clients a raise and that Tennessee had their coach all along. Or Dave Hart is an idiot that messed up the coaching hire.

I get the feeling that if Gruden doesn't come we are gonna hire a coach no one has talked about just like Arkansas did. Not necessarily a no name coach, just one the media didn't force on the public. Any guesses at a coach we could "steal" from another program that would be a big hit?

If all these clowns say no, we'll probably hire Kyle Whittingham.

At what point did Press Conference become "Presser"? Was it the same time that medicine became medication?

I think it started when typing out press conference on a cell phone became a hassle for the media. I'm still amazed every time my media buddies use the term.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back