Official Jon Gruden Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all, sorry I am late. Can you believe the nerve of some people wanting me to actually work this morning? I tried to tell them I had several thread pages to catch up on. I swear I don't get where peoples prioritys are these days. lol

All I know is that the original timeline that was expressed to me way back in October didn't have us wrapped up until mid to late December. Everything else took place pretty close the benchmarks that I heard then.

I passed all of this along back in JG I or JG II.

Boro:

In my humble opinion, UT cannot under any circumstance rush this hire, whether it is Gruden or anoother coach. The last time UT did that we got Dooley and no one wants to go through that nightmare again!

Some people are talking about making a hire quickly so that the new coach can get out on the recruiting trail. Well the dead period begins on 12/17/12 and ends on 1/3/13! If UT hired a coach this week, the new coach would have at most 10-11 days to recruit. You would have to throw into the mix that the new coach would have to assemble his staff which isn't an easy task which would cut into recruiting time.

We only have to look to Alabama to see that even if you bring a coach in January, a university can have a top 5 recruiting class! Tennessee must keep its eye on the prize and if that requires having to wait until late December to "hire" a head coach then that is what must be done!!! It should also be kept in mind that one candidate has some rather large contractual issues with his current employer and possibly his prior employer!

These things take time! Neither Strong nor Gundy is "the guy"!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Assistants get hired all the time when HC's are fired.

Phil Fulmer, Jumbo Fisher, et al.

There is a reason Charlie Strong was never considered at UF....and his head coaching record in a lackluster conference backs it up.

He very well may end up here, but if he does we'll regret it in short order.

I'm already regretting it and he hasn't even accepted an offer yet.

I do have one question:

I reading this forum, I have learned that at least four different coaches have a contract in hand. So, how do we know who get's the job?

Do they all just sign them and send them through the USPS and whichever one gets to Hart's desk first gets the job?

Or do they do something like that mudpit scene in the Eastwood movie "Heartbreak Ridge?" If so, I think my money is on Charlie Strong.

where did you read that? I have been here fron Gruden1 and never read that?

I think at this point, after friday, I realized I spent too much time here worrying about things I cant control, and missed out on family time etc. So now, I am here mostly when at work because I have a computer up all day, and I have learned to relax and let it be...my wife and kids are happier for it...

It either will or wont be Gruden...in the meantime chillax...

Solid Post. I feel exactly rthe same.

Question, since we are in a hold pattern today with the banquets in NY,

When you look around the college football landscape, which team do you think most closely mirrors the football teachings of General Neyland?

Quick stat...

At Louisville
Petrino won 82% of his games
Strong won 62% of his games

If we are going to spend over $3.5 million on Strong, why not spend less and get Petrino?

I said this last night, I think we'll have to pay more than 3.5 for Strong. He makes right at 3 now. Louisville will counter any offer we make. I think we'll have to pay 4 for STrong at a minimum, plus a buyout. WHile I think Strong is a good, young coach, I don't think he is worth that kind of money. JMO

Funny thing is, if you go to the recruiting forum, most of them lurk over here a lot. They talk about how we are in constant meltdown. They know there's something wrong with the picture they're seeing. :)

Same as the end zone, their Gruden thread mocks us over here...and there are alot of posters who hop back and forth between here and there...

Boro, do you think they can keep gruden under wraps until mid dec.? Fyi I don't think they can after thurs and noone is named.

Florida didn't hire strong after zook was fired. Assistant coaches aren't hired when HC are fired. That's isn't being passed over.

When urban left strong was already at Louisville and had just finished his first year. He wasn't on staff to get pasted over

Strong hasn't been pasted over twice by florida!

Strong interviewed for the job twice.

Do you think DD screwed up the plan by not making a bowl to buy time?

Didn't help. I think it was more important to get to the end of the season, but to do that you have to beat Vandy. Once we lost to MSU, I didn't think we'd make a bowl anyway.

Good Morning all, sorry I am late. Can you believe the nerve of some people wanting me to actually work this morning? I tried to tell them I had several thread pages to catch up on. I swear I don't get where peoples prioritys are these days. lol

you may need to send out resume...ha ha ha

If we even think about hiring Fedora, I'm going to slap someone... I have hated him ever since I saw him talk after SM beat Houston last year, guy reminds me too much of Dooley.

Reactions: 2 people
Assistants get hired all the time when HC's are fired.

Phil Fulmer, Jumbo Fisher, et al.

There is a reason Charlie Strong was never considered at UF....and his head coaching record in a lackluster conference backs it up.

He very well may end up here, but if he does we'll regret it in short order.

It happens rarely but it is never an exspectation. Assistant coaches are only expected to have a fair shot at jobs when the previous coach that leaves is successful. Anybody that follows the coaching profession knows that! Fisher was the coach in waiting so using him as a example doesn't fly.

It happens rarely but it is never an exspectation. Assistant coaches are only expected to have a fair shot at jobs when the previous coach that leaves is successful. Anybody that follows the coaching profession knows that! Fisher was the coach in waiting so using him as a example doesn't fly.

So they denied Strong, then hired Muschamp? Seems logical. UF knew what they had, they didn't want it.

Same as the end zone, their Gruden thread mocks us over here...and there are alot of posters who hop back and forth between here and there...

I've noticed some want to be friendly over here then go talk about how crazy we are in another forum. Pizzes me off.

Boro:

In my humble opinion, UT cannot under any circumstance rush this hire, whether it is Gruden or anoother coach. The last time UT did that we got Dooley and no one wants to go through that nightmare again!

Some people are talking about making a hire quickly so that the new coach can get out on the recruiting trail. Well the dead period begins on 12/17/12 and ends on 1/3/13! If UT hired a coach this week, the new coach would have at most 10-11 days to recruit. You would have to throw into the mix that the new coach would have to assemble his staff which isn't an easy task which would cut into recruiting time.

We only have to look to Alabama to see that even if you bring a coach in January, a university can have a top 5 recruiting class! Tennessee must keep its eye on the prize and if that requires having to wait until late December to "hire" a head coach then that is what must be done!!! It should also be kept in mind that one candidate has some rather large contractual issues with his current employer and possibly his prior employer!

These things take time! Neither Strong nor Gundy is "the guy"!!!!

Make the right hire and recruiting will take care of itself.

Reactions: 9 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back