Official Jon Gruden Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree with that. The guy is no doubt a sleaze bag and comes with all sorts of baggage. My point was just, why are we hiring a guy who came no where close to having the success of a former coach and the former coach is still available to be hired.

I don't see any serious indication that we are hiring either of them.

Reactions: 2 people
Wonder if someone told Freak to remove it? :whistling:

I want to believe, Scully.

I firmly endorse this message. I also see challenges to lock the JG thread went ignored as well...

Edit to add* - I believe it was unstickied for a reason...and not an obvious one.

Last edited:
Hey CP! But of course! All is well in the ATL!

BTW, my chick in Mempho is sticking to her guns regarding Gruden! Has not changed her tone not once. Time well tell and it will be soon!

Hope she and others on here are right!

Great news Buckhead.... I am stll hanging on

Attachments

• hang_on.jpg
    hang_on.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 1 person
'Cause Petrino is a 5-star dewshbag.

Btw.....I don't like Strong either, but I don't hold a low personal opinion of him.

Agreed. We had a staff of sleezeballs three years ago. Let's not repeat the same mistakes.

Plus, after his history with Atlanta, how do we know we won't have someone else Kiffin us?

All I know is that the original timeline that was expressed to me way back in October didn't have us wrapped up until mid to late December. Everything else took place pretty close the benchmarks that I heard then.

I passed all of this along back in JG I or JG II.

All I'm hearing is hold on for the ride. It was abumpy one, but there is still achance the destination ends up in the right place.

Couple of thoughts I had coming into work this morning regarding Gundy and Strong:

I believe that both have glaring weaknesses in their resumes and neither is a "top-tier hire".

Gundy has more head coaching experience than Strong and plays in a much tougher conference than the Big East. However, Gundy has never even coached in the SEC. Additionally, Gundy has not proven that he can recruit with the big-boys consistently. It should also be noted that Gundy is not known for being defense minded rather he has been a "shoot-out" type coach.

Strong on the other hand has coached and been a coordinator in the SEC. But our enemy to the south, passed over him on two occasions during the HC searches. That point cannot and should not be understated! Foley new first hand what type of coach Strong was inasmuch as Florida basically had an eight year period to evaluate Strong!!! That fact speaks volumes about their position on Strong and clearly Foley was not opposed to hiring a HC without HC experience (Please see Muschamp and Zook)!!! Additionally, Strong has a very small sample as a HC with which to judge him on but his record is 24 and 15 and coaches is a very very weak conference (losing to two teams who have a combined record of 12 and 12).

Both of these candidates do not have star power and neither has a great pedigree which will make it difficult for either to assemble an A+ staff. Frankly I do not believe that either of these coaches can out-recruit or out-coach Saban, Miles, Spurrier, Richt, or Muschamp in the SEC nor do I believe that either are better than Stoops, C kelly, B Kelly, J Fisher, Swinney, Sumlin.

To say the least, neither of these candidates give me any confidence that they would out UT back on the map!!!

Great post man! I completely agree

Couple of thoughts I had coming into work this morning regarding Gundy and Strong:

I believe that both have glaring weaknesses in their resumes and neither is a "top-tier hire".

Gundy has more head coaching experience than Strong and plays in a much tougher conference than the Big East. However, Gundy has never even coached in the SEC. Additionally, Gundy has not proven that he can recruit with the big-boys consistently. It should also be noted that Gundy is not known for being defense minded rather he has been a "shoot-out" type coach.

Strong on the other hand has coached and been a coordinator in the SEC. But our enemy to the south, passed over him on two occasions during the HC searches. That point cannot and should not be understated! Foley new first hand what type of coach Strong was inasmuch as Florida basically had an eight year period to evaluate Strong!!! That fact speaks volumes about their position on Strong and clearly Foley was not opposed to hiring a HC without HC experience (Please see Muschamp and Zook)!!! Additionally, Strong has a very small sample as a HC with which to judge him on but his record is 24 and 15 and coaches is a very very weak conference (losing to two teams who have a combined record of 12 and 12).

Both of these candidates do not have star power and neither has a great pedigree which will make it difficult for either to assemble an A+ staff. Frankly I do not believe that either of these coaches can out-recruit or out-coach Saban, Miles, Spurrier, Richt, or Muschamp in the SEC nor do I believe that either are better than Stoops, C kelly, B Kelly, J Fisher, Swinney, Sumlin.

To say the least, neither of these candidates give me any confidence that they would out UT back on the map!!!

Florida didn't hire strong after zook was fired. Assistant coaches aren't hired when HC are fired. That's isn't being passed over.

When urban left strong was already at Louisville and had just finished his first year. He wasn't on staff to get pasted over

Strong hasn't been pasted over twice by florida!

Bought my oldest kid a Bersa .380 and it's great. Smooth shooting and very little recoil. The only thing that kept me from buying one for a 2nd carry was the physical safety. Went with the LCP instead.

The bodyguard in the 380 are very nice they have a built in laser sight too

I do have one question:

I reading this forum, I have learned that at least four different coaches have a contract in hand. So, how do we know who get's the job?

Do they all just sign them and send them through the USPS and whichever one gets to Hart's desk first gets the job?

Or do they do something like that mudpit scene in the Eastwood movie "Heartbreak Ridge?" If so, I think my money is on Charlie Strong.

Breathe and relax. When Gruden is announced as our coach he will come to the podium with his new staff in hand and a target list of recruits they are going to get. Gruden is a workaholic and he is taking his time getting everything together and he will hit the ground running. Why keep a lid on things? Well you have two other prominent SEC schools looking for head coaches and other schools looking to fill key coaching positions. The quieter things are kept the less likelihood of there being a bidding war for each coach.

Relax and enjoy the ride.

You are right on about Gruden being a workaholic. He is also very thorough and if he's going to drop to the college level he is going to make damn sure not to tarnish his desirability by losing. With that said, if indeed he's coming, he's the type of guy that would want to have his entire staff in place before anything was announced. That could be part of the "timing" issue.

Florida didn't hire strong after zook was fired. Assistant coaches aren't hired when HC are fired. That's isn't being passed over.

When urban left strong was already at Louisville and had just finished his first year. He wasn't on staff to get pasted over

Correct....he was never passed over. He was just never considered.....they blocked his phone number. LOL.

He was interested both times.

Petrino's last 3 HC jobs he's lasted 4 years, 10 months, 4 years and the year after he left Louisville went 6-6, Atlanta was already 3-10, and Arkansas went 4-8. Wherever he has coached he hasn't lasted long and he has left his teams devastated. Why would we want a 4 year rental and be back at square 1 after 4 years? He does enough to get people excited and on his side and then he is gone and the team sucks again. Don't want a guy like that at UT.

Reactions: 2 people
If negotiations with Gruden are still taking place, it's not a bad strategy to let it be known that you (UT) have other options. Otherwise, you are dealing from a position of weakness. JMO.

In principal I agree with you.

The problem is that we have very little strength in negotiating with Gruden no matter what. He already knows that we will need to hire somebody.

He is not blind. Just like us, he is able to see that the alternatives to him are not inspiring.

Leverage is not something we can use here. instead, you need to appeal to his emotions. You have to sell these things:

- Family structure
- UT brand/history
- Facilities
- The best competition in the country
- Fan support
- creating a legacy

Those are our strengths, not who our alternative is. That is a weakness to be sure.

I haven't kept up with it the last few days.

Is there even a glimmer of hope that Gruden is still an option, or is the thread just message board daydreaming?

So they're trying to lock the jg thread?? Why was cliffnotes taken down for?

Cliffnotes is no longer stickied and nobody posts to it...

There were challenges made by the haterz to lock the JG threads after Fridays fiasco...my response to the haterz was to challenge the mods to lock them if they believed there were no more truth to the JG rumors...ya know, being that we have mods who are "connected" and all...

Its still here...:)

* See: Phil Fulmer

So they're trying to lock the jg thread?? Why was cliffnotes taken down for?

Just asking, but wouldn't locking the JG thread cost the Administrators some money. Looks like it's the most visited thread by far and i thought revenue came from number of visitors. Maybe I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back