Official Jon Gruden Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
This for me too, I am all in for Gruden. Until it is announced one way or the other, I am not even wiling to think about any other name. Not 100% sure he is coming, but 100% invested in him being the next coach until I hear something ANNOUNCED otherwise.

What will be "telling" to me as far as our insiders that have far better contacts than I (if right) is after the Vandy game. I have a hard time seeing us winning this game.

If we lose at Vandy and Dooley is fired on Monday what in your opinion should we read into that?

Seems to me the entire storyline that is out there and we are buying in to hinges on Dooley completing the regular season regardless, does it not?

If we lose to Candy why not just let Dooley finish the last game? What would be the difference. just saying. If that's the timeline to get Gruden I'd accept that.

I don't know that Gruden happens for us, but I think you might be right on Ainge. I've thought about this myself. He's just been too persistent and vocal about Gruden not happening here. Obviously, part of that could be a response to the very loud chatter from Vol fans, but still: he seems to go out of his way to quiet it.

Exactly. I am pretty sure he was told to shut up. He was so Gruden crazy to do such a 180 is pretty wierd

The timeline is still the same. This thread can go on and one, but nothing will happen before the 26th. after that? BOOM!

People who do not think Gruden would be a slam dunk may need to consider the following:

if the reported 4-5 million for assistants is available and actually happens............think about the "rock star" assistants that will be coming to UT with Gruden. It won't matter if one chooses to leave to pursue other opportunities. That kind of money will CONSISTENTLY bring in talented assistants.

Also, I don't buy in to the whole "add legitimacy to our program" argument like some do.

Gruden is interested because we are a traditional powerhouse in the best conference, with the best facilities, an incredible fan base, a rich history, located in the most beautiful area, and he knows what it means to have your name wrapped around Neyland in the ring of honor next to Reggie White and Doug Atkins.

The question isn't "why would Gruden want to coach at UT", the question is "why wouldn't he".

Reactions: 1 person
One of my close friends went to OSU. I pick at him all the time about Gundy in a different shade of orange. His response is always "Uncle T-Boone will never allow that to happen."

I wouldn't be surprised if he spends his career there but unless it's one of the top programs like Alabama, USC, Texas, Ohio State etc. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Maybe not likely but there are a number of bigger programs that would be worth walking away for. If it wasn't his alma mater, there are about 20 programs that it wouldn't be too hard to walk away from Oklahoma State for.

Agree 100 percent. Tony is in the entertainment business. I like him for that but he knows perfectly well if you can get Gruden you do.

Maybe someone had mentioned this, but it just struck me, there are really 4 options here about Gruden.

1) Potentially the reason that local radio hosts are now going away from Gruden is because that is the info they are being leaked from the AD. Let me explain further: perhaps negotiations are well under way and Gruden's salary demands are a bit too high, so this "smokescreen" is to leak other coaches to the media to show Gruden and his people that UT fans could be happy with others if he doesn't give a little too, or
2)It could also be that Gruden's dollar figures are too high, so the AD is leaking other names and $ figures to let it be known how "ridiculous" Gruden's demands were so when another coach is announced, there isn't a lynch mob, or
3)another option is that the deal is done and the "smokescreen" is to somehow hide this fact because Dooley still has a job and Gruden is still on MNF, or
4)the reason other coaches are being named is because there really aren't any high level negotiations between Gruden or UT.

Options 1-3 would explain why some NFL analysts are picking up on some of the noise. Option 4 could also explain this, if perhaps there have just been some preliminary talks but nothing serious.

I took a good look at myself, and decided I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog'on it, people like me.

Stuart-Smalley.jpg

People who are unsure if Gruden is a "good fit" = people who are afraid of modern technology and think it's still 1985.

"Cutcliffe! Woohoo get the Fulmer band back together!" Have fun with max 8-4 every year.

Basillio is sounding like a moron right now. Does he not understand the Gruden could almost pick and choose what recruits he wants?.. Especially with the kind of hype around our program there would be. He's clueless right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back