The NCAA is a shameful organization.

the Catholic church pays millions of dollars in fines every time a priest is accused -- maybe thats the route that should be taken -- a huge fine instead of the sanctions on the sports teams

the Catholic church pays millions of dollars in fines every time a priest is accused -- maybe thats the route that should be taken -- a huge fine instead of the sanctions on the sports teams
Penn State should have taken the action of donating a significant portion of their athletics revenue to child rape prevention programs, if they aren't deciding to do that already.

Or at least they should have, they could have done well with that but now their revenue stream will be wrecked, partially of their own doing and partially of the NCAA's.

Do you not take issue with the NCAA being able to set its own boundaries of authority without being answerable or accountable to anyone?

In this case, I have no issue

Neither does Penn State. They are not going to appeal

So they think its an appropriate action, along with 22 other members of the NCAA Board. Which happens to be presidents of other member universities

Reactions: 1 person
You all want a "Football Advantage" in order to punish?

Better idea, let's do a "Disadvantage." Tell me, do you think recruiting would get hurt, even one recruit would leave, if this were reported in 2001? I do. I don't think anyone thinks otherwise.

Therefore, it helped recruiting to cover this up. My logic is just as good as "they didn't break any NCAA laws even though LoIC is very easy to see here." and even if they couldn't get that, this is a precedent unlike any other. It deserves an equally unprecedented punishment. If you don't like it, stop watching ESPN or college sports or go donate to PSU, because they are going to need it if the 30 mill fine and multiple year bowl ban turns out to be true

You all want a "Football Advantage" in order to punish?

Better idea, let's do a "Disadvantage." Tell me, do you think recruiting would get hurt, even one recruit would leave, if this were reported in 2001? I do. I don't think anyone thinks otherwise.

Therefore, it helped recruiting to cover this up. My logic is just as good as "they didn't break any NCAA laws even though LoIC is very easy to see here." and even if they couldn't get that, this is a precedent unlike any other. It deserves an equally unprecedented punishment. If you don't like it, stop watching ESPN or college sports or go donate to PSU, because they are going to need it if the 30 mill fine and multiple year bowl ban turns out to be true
There was no language anywhere in the NCAA rules that dealt with this issue.

I posted a link that's buried in one of the other Penn State threads, but it was an official Pac-12 document that gave an exhaustive definition of what LOIC means, and the NCAA explicitly states that specific NCAA rules must have been broken in order for LOIC to have taken place.

Moreover, Emmert's letter to Penn State effectively said "You haven't broken any laws that we actually have but we are going to punish Penn State anyways."

The NCAA is doing the right thing

Other programs must understand that this type of behavior will not be tolerated.

They did solely to protect the Football program. Now the Football program and Penn State will pay for ignorance on their part

I will not shed a tear for them or any program, including UT, that enable a child molestor.

Some things are more important than a game

If I'm Emmert, here's why I punish Penn State:

1) They had a serious lack of instiutional control within their program that needs to be corrected. Nobody at Miami is there anymore that had to do with Shapiro. Why should they be punished then?

2) They gained a competitive football advantage in my mind. There is no doubt had Sandusky been caught, it would have hurt their football program. They covered up to protect the football program and their "image" which would have hurt them.

3) This is my own personal opinion. You say Penn State doesn't need to be punished. I disagree. Were they as bad as Paterno, Schultz, and Curley? No. But because they put Paterno on a god like pedestal, he got to do whatever he wanted and, in my opinion, was the one who initiated the cover up because the fans gave him that authority.

Reactions: 2 people
One, it isnt't. Explain to me how covering up child molestation gave PSU some competitive advantage. It is a criminal matter, not a NCAA matter.

Two, if you believe it is a NCAA matter then you should be livid they are not shutting down the program.

So you are saying that the stain of Jerry Sandusky, just three years removed, as a child molestor who molested kids at Penn State wouldn't hurt recruiting?

Okay.

Disagree with th OP. I think the NCAA has some jurisdiction here as it pertains to institutional control and covering up a scandal that could have otherwise hurt the program.

I don't think the program should be banned from play, but I do think athletic penalties in addition to existing criminal and soon to follow civil penalties should be levied.

Agree 100%. Lack of institutional control is evident! Has nothing to do with the " criminality" of the case, and everything to do with the cover up.

In the end JoPa answered to no one.

Reactions: 2 people
Name a recruit that went to PSU because of the coverup.

Go ahead and tell yourself that Penn State would have been fine as the former DC was being charged with child molestation that occured at the facilities.

I doubt the lack of institutional control clause was meant to cover a situation like this that in no way involves game-related cheating.

The NCAA is a mess. Will we even hear of any sanctions against the University of Miami? That was announced last summer, and that was a surefire bombshell of disaster. However, we are approaching a year in which we have heard absolutely nothing on that one. Couple that with the recent allegations against their staff for dirty recruiting tactics. If they crush Penn State for this, then Miami should be next.

I think it is a lack of institutional control that DID lead to advantages on the field. They didn't cover this up to protect their "friend" Sandusky. They covered it up, because they knew what would happen to the program if it got out. They let children be raped, because they didn't want the program to suffer. You don't think the program should suffer now?

VN Store

Back