Barnhart: Vols on right track says Dooley

IMO head coaching position is overrated. There are a handful of guys who can carry a team.

Many more are either bad coaches getting carried by their assistants (Miles, Dan Hawkins @ Boise State) or they recognize that a strong support staff will take them a lot further than anything they do on their own (Kiffin, & Carrol).

My God thank you for posting something that makes a ton of sense. Everybody needs to get off of Dooley's nuts. I don't care who the head coach is, if he doesn't have a good supporting cast he will not win. People put way to much emphasis on the HC. Freakin get over it. The HC don't coach everybody. That's why they hire coordinators and assistants. I'm so sick of hearing Dooley this or Dooley that. Do people think that Phil Fulmer when we won the NC in 98 coached the DB's or RB's or LB's or DT's? Hell no. He had a big part in the offensive line and that is it.

5 years total. So in his mind, some of the best shouldn't have ever been given a chance after starting out their careers near .500. That would include parcells, saban and others.

By his way of thinking, Apollo 13 should have still made it to the moon and back.

I know... I know... Bad analogy...

Why not reserve judgement until the season is over, after all hindsight is 20/20. A lot of people could be proven wrong (or right), so choose your words carefully. :yes:

5 years total. So in his mind, some of the best shouldn't have ever been given a chance after starting out their careers near .500. That would include parcells, saban and others.

Saban and Parcells were both over .500 in their first five years, and both had three winning seasons in their first five years.

By his way of thinking, Apollo 13 should have still made it to the moon and back.

I know... I know... Bad analogy...

Apollo 13 didn't have a backup service module. So no, it's not a bad analogy. Bad doesn't even do that kind of dumb justice.

I agree. The only way that 8-4 is an improvement is if Peterman has to start the second half of the season.

Why would Peterman see the field when we have a potential AA taking the snaps?

Of course I will change my tune. Be great if he proves me wrong, as of this point in his career there is nothing that says he will though.

total bs...you've shown what you're all about.

Exactly. I'm not saying Dooley should be fired at 9-3. I am saying it's not really that big an achievement.

Oh for pete's sake.

9-3 would be a massive step forward from 5-7. 9-3 would get him an extension, and would put the Dooley haters at the kiddie table for a year.

Fair enough, but seeing regression from year one to year two was unbelievably concerning.

Not for anyone who understands how college football programs evolve. For those folks, it was a known that without upperclassmen and one of the most brutal schedules in recent memory, the season could very well turn out horribly.

He obviously wasn't ready for the UT job.

You're out of your mind. Bear Bryant or Robert Neyland wouldn't have done any better with that catastrophe he inherited.

...ask yourself what Saban would/could do with our current roster...

That's easy. he would have crashed and burned, and then would have promptly left for another coaching position.

Saban and Parcells were both over .500 in their first five years, and both had three winning seasons in their first five years.

Saban went 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6 in his first four years at Mich st.

Strong, right? First years really show how good a coach will be, right? I bet some in the know fans were chiming in that NS sucked too. Bet they are glad he is gone.

Strong, right? First years really show how good a coach will be, right? I bet some in the know fans were chiming in that NS sucked too. Bet they are glad he is gone.

You left out the 9-2 year at Toledo, being an NFL DC and upsetting the #1 ranked Buckeyes in 98.

Fine, take out Dooley's years at La Tech and he has no winning seasons. I am absolutely okay with the line you are taking in this argument. It's hard to compare the two coaches when Saban has two winning seasons sandwiched between 9-2 years right? Do you really think Derek Dooley will be the best coach in the country in 10 years?

9-3 would be a massive step forward from 5-7. 9-3 would get him an extension, and would put the Dooley haters at the kiddie table for a year.

Unless he backs into the SEC Championship Game and wins it, 9-3 absolutely will not and should not get him an extension. Why do Vols fans love bad coaches so much?

Reactions: 2 people
Also, as for the Saban comparisons, I missed the part where Dooley inherited a program coming off of an academic scandal and on self-imposed and NCAA sanctions.

They were dealing with NCAA issues when Saban was hired and Michigan became a power shortly after Saban arrived in East Lansing. I could be wrong, but I don't think their facilities were that good at the time, either. It's not the same as leading Tennessee to back to back losing seasons for the first time in 100 years.

Unless he backs into the SEC Championship Game and wins it, 9-3 absolutely will not and should not get him an extension.

9-3 absolutely will and should get him an extension.

Also, as for the Saban comparisons, I missed the part where Dooley inherited a program coming off of an academic scandal and on self-imposed and NCAA sanctions.

There is no way the Michigan St situation was as bad as our situation post-Kiffin.

Not even close.

9-3 absolutely will and should get him an extension.
What kind of extension did Shula get after 2005? Serious question. It certainly wasn't enough to keep him until 2007.

There is no way the Michigan St situation was as bad as our situation post-Kiffin.

Not even close.
That's complete bull****. Saban took over a program that always has (and probably always will be) second tier program in its own state. Dooley was taking over the winningest program in college football over the 85 years prior to his arrival.

That's bull****. Saban took over a second tier program in his own state. Dooley was taking over the winningest program in college football over the 85 years prior to his arrival.

you're really going with that to describe UT football when Dooley took over? Seriously?

you're really going with that to describe UT football when Dooley took over? Seriously?

It doesn't matter how you describe it. To say that Lane Kiffin left this program in worse shape than what Saban inherited in Michigan St. shows a complete absence of understanding.

Am I saying that Dooley was in a position to win right away? Absolutely not. Am I saying Dooley took a job where a competent could show signs of progression and indicate that he would get the team back to the top in the near future? Absolutely. He hasn't done that.

VN Store

Back