Derek Dooley will be SEC coach of the year in 2012

Saban doesn't have the best assistant at each and every position. When a position comes open, one could argue he pretty much upgrades it and the same goes for ever major college program. Coaches always feel like they have good assistants. Just because one is superior on the market, doesn't mean that a coach will fire his assistant that he views as doing a good job to get him.

You are working with some very shaky logic. You are assuming that any of the coaches that Dooley hired this year were actually considered better than his previous assistants by Dooley or anyone else.

Frankly, Dooley could have hired Sunseri as his DC two years ago, but chose Wilcox. What has Sunseri done in the interim that suggests he's an upgrade over Wilcox? And again, I'm not saying that Sunseri won't be a great DC, but there's not guarantee either way.

You are working with some very shaky logic. You are assuming that any of the coaches that Dooley hired this year were actually considered better than his previous assistants by Dooley or anyone else.

Frankly, Dooley could have hired Sunseri as his DC two years ago, but chose Wilcox. What has Sunseri done in the interim that suggests he's an upgrade over Wilcox? And again, I'm not saying that Sunseri won't be a great DC, but there's not guarantee either way.
I don't know if he will be a better dc than wilcox but he is definitely the most knowledgable coach on the staff. Add in palmero and the new safeties coach who also have coordinator experience. There will be growing pains but at least he has people around him to help him too. That's just my opinion tho.

Worked well for john chavis

Actually, I think we get a real bonus with the new DC. He may be the best recruiter in the SEC and one of the best in the Nation. I look forward to seeing our defense this year and think it will be much better than last year. Even last year's defense would have been much better if we had any offense after the injuries to Hunter and Bray. Even with the new 3-4 defense, look forward to 9-10 wins this year and a defense raked in the top 5 of the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
I love these baseless, wild claims in the offseason. Dooley will be COY, UT will win the SEC, darkhorse NC contender, back on the map, blah blah blah; the same crap that was said last year.

he could point out the fact that you are a moron because we only won one sec game last year? :crazy:

We lost 5 games in 2002. We only lost 2 games in 2003. That's a 3 game improvement in 1 year(for those that are grammar police, but can't add or subtract). That would turn a 5-7 in to a 8-4. 9-3 or 8-2 impossible? No, it's not. That explains my optimism.

Fister, looking over your posts it is easy to see you are a pessimistic. That, or you are a troll.

As for me, I am a Vol fan.

I would like to see him get some credit for turning this team around and making the improvements that are expected, whether its through recruiting and coaching changes. But realistically he needs to make 2012 his year as head coach.

Reactions: 2 people
I would like to see him get some credit for turning this team around and making the improvements that are expected, whether its through recruiting and coaching changes. But realistically he needs to make 2012 his year as head coach.

Yeah I would too. I know he has worked his butt off trying to turn this mess around. It would be really fun on the weekends this fall, watching it start to pay off.

Not sure if you got caught between edit or didn't read the rest of post, but position coach by position coach I went through. I agree with you about Sunseri and Wilcox. We just don't know. But the faulty logic lies in your original post.

Not sure if you got caught between edit or didn't read the rest of post, but position coach by position coach I went through. I agree with you about Sunseri and Wilcox. We just don't know. But the faulty logic lies in your original post.

I did reply before you edited; sorry I missed that.

To your points, you base most of the "upgrade" argument on experience. That certainly matters, but is not the end-all-be-all. None of these guys come in as top guys in their positions. Sunseri is highly regarded as an LBs coach, but he's a major question at DC.

Every single one of these guys could be an upgrade over the previous staff. But any definitive statement would be based off of hopes and dreams.

Yeah I would too. I know he has worked his butt off trying to turn this mess around. It would be really fun on the weekends this fall, watching it start to pay off.

He has done well with building a foundation. The jury is still out on head coaching and I can understand that. But I don't think he should be completely written off until he can prove himself this year. I've said third year or bust. I believe he can do it.

Maybe not. But USCe and UGA have been markedly better than Tennessee, and it is a leap to assume that UT has caught up. UGA also has an easier schedule, which will make it tough for UT to finish with a better conference record.

That is certainly true. But having more depth won't matter too much if the execution isn't there, and that has been a major problem for Tennessee the past couple of seasons.

Honestly man, We beat the **** out of UGA (Crompton's breakout game) and USC in 2009 in Knoxville. In 2010, UGA beat the **** out of us in Athens. USC was lucky to have gotten of that game with a win which was a 2 TD game when we had 3 TO's in the 2nd half with a Fresh Tyler Bray playing QB. This year when we sucked worse than the previous 2 years and UGA and USC could not put us away. So how can you say they are markedly better than we are? The fact is they are not. Alabama is markedly better than UT is right now. LSU is markedly better than UT is right now. Arkansas is markedly better than UT is right now. But the rest of the SEC we'll match up with any of them right now.

I agree with ya on the whole staff upgrade issue as we'll all have to wait and see. I always wondered what Wilcox could do if he had SEC DL to play with. Defense starts on the DL and we haven't had stud DL in 10 years.

Every single one of these guys could be an upgrade over the previous staff. But any definitive statement would be based off of hopes and dreams.

Not altogether. CSS is a wait and see thing. Anyone who says they "know" he's an upgrade is speaking too soon. IMHO, Wilcox and Sirmon were pretty big hits to the program. I wish both had stayed. I think CTJ is replaceable but a loss nonetheless.

I am a bit divided on Thompson. He seems to be a very solid position coach but I don't think I saw his groups light the moon or hang the stars. For whatever reason, he has been passed over twice for DC. This time it does not seem they even seriously considered him. He probably needed a restart and what better place than Bama?

Baggett, Hiestand, and Russell all had significant performance issues. None had groups that performed consistently well. To me, Baggett was the biggest disappointment. His resume screams "greatness" but IMO there was nothing at all "great" about the development of the WR group after Hunter went down... and apparently he could not get along with the one good WR he had.

Hiestand and Russell might have been fine under different circumstances. I tend to believe both were replaced by coaches who will do a better job.

Honestly man, We beat the **** out of UGA (Crompton's breakout game) and USC in 2009 in Knoxville. In 2010, UGA beat the **** out of us in Athens. USC was lucky to have gotten of that game with a win which was a 2 TD game when we had 3 TO's in the 2nd half with a Fresh Tyler Bray playing QB. This year when we sucked worse than the previous 2 years and UGA and USC could not put us away. So how can you say they are markedly better than we are? The fact is they are not. Alabama is markedly better than UT is right now. LSU is markedly better than UT is right now. Arkansas is markedly better than UT is right now. But the rest of the SEC we'll match up with any of them right now.

I agree with ya on the whole staff upgrade issue as we'll all have to wait and see. I always wondered what Wilcox could do if he had SEC DL to play with. Defense starts on the DL and we haven't had stud DL in 10 years.

this is very easy to do. tennessee was within a blocked fg of beating alabama in 2009. alabama was much better than tennessee. mississippi beat florida in 2008. florida was much better than mississippi.

you can't just look at the final score all the time.

in addition, look at the body of work over the course of an entire season. georgia and south carolina won twice as many games as tennessee. that's pretty telling

He has done well with building a foundation. The jury is still out on head coaching and I can understand that. But I don't think he should be completely written off until he can prove himself this year. I've said third year or bust. I believe he can do it.

So do I. The Ky game really left a sour taste in the mouth of a lot of fans, including me. Yes, I think the team folded. And I stress the word TEAM. That was the bottom. There is no question in MY mind, that was the bottom. The Vols have turned a page in my opinion, or, I should say, this is the perfect opportunity to turn the page. Really no where to go from here but up. There MUST be major improvement this year. I remain optimistic. I am a salesperson, so I don't buy easy. With that said, these are my Vols. I love UT football. And I have faith in the organization as a whole. Hart/Dooley/Staff/ and players.

So do I. The Ky game really left a sour taste in the mouth of a lot of fans, including me. Yes, I think the team folded. And I stress the word TEAM. That was the bottom. There is no question in MY mind, that was the bottom. The Vols have turned a page in my opinion, or, I should say, this is the perfect opportunity to turn the page. Really no where to go from here but up. There MUST be major improvement this year. I remain optimistic. I am a salesperson, so I don't buy easy. With that said, these are my Vols. I love UT football. And I have faith in the organization as a whole. Hart/Dooley/Staff/ and players.

Well said and I agree. :hi:

this is very easy to do. tennessee was within a blocked fg of beating alabama in 2009. alabama was much better than tennessee. mississippi beat florida in 2008. florida was much better than mississippi.

you can't just look at the final score all the time.

in addition, look at the body of work over the course of an entire season. georgia and south carolina won twice as many games as tennessee. that's pretty telling

I agree you can't just look at the final score but every team's situation is a little different all the time. We've been horrible the last 4 years dating back to Fulmer's last year and we've still been in some games. My examples were based on young players playing against good UF, UGA, USC, Ala, LSU, Oregon teams. Your right our whole body of work is bad. But for a half this year with not very good players on the field we knocked the two best teams in the country in the mouth before getting gassed in the second half.

I just don't see UGA and USC being that much better than we are ever. Those games are usually pretty good games no matter who has the better team that year. Were always a lot better than Vandy and UK and look what happens most years in those games. Every team has those teams that aren't afraid of them. UK and Vandy are those teams that aren't afraid of us. They weren't afraid of us when Peyton was here. Ole Piss is that team for UF.

Wrong. If you are in sales, you should know that you DO NOT sell on faith. Results are what matters. Not hopes and prayers. This organiation is broken. Until they fix it, I don't see why anyone would blindy say they have faith in it.

This thread should only be replied to with the following type of comments:

That would be great.
Hope your right
Awesome if true.
Nothing would make me happier.
Knoxville would be rockin.
Sec championship would be very nice.

Instead we end up with all this negativity, make it stop. No matter how much you disagree or doubt the statement, you could still say you hope its true.

But, as a Gator, I don't hope it's true. I do wish the OP would share.

VN Store

Back