Blame this loss on Bruce Pearl.

I agree they may have been a little tired. However, if Tennessee's defense does not get better then can forget about the NCAA tournament. One thing about Pearl's teams is that they generally played good defense. I believe with Pearl Tennessee would have beat Memphis and won tonight. Just a little bit of defense would have won both games.

Tennessee under Pearl was usually the best conditioned team on the floor. They beat many teams with better talent like Kentucky, Florida and many others by simply outlasting them, playing harder in the last few minutes of the game. I loved the story about their running the ramp over at Neyland at 5 oclock in the morning singing "where is Kentucky, in bed asleep, where is Alabama, in bed asleep."

Lofton isn't even in th top-10. He was a truly elite shooter. That's about it.

I loved Tony White but Lofton was better on offense and on defense. I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure Lofton had more steals than White. Tony's best shot was to drive baseline and pull up for a short jump shot. Lofton could score from anywhere on the floor and could also drive to the basket.

I loved Tony White but Lofton was better on offense and on defense. I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure Lofton had more steals than White. Tony's best shot was to drive baseline and pull up for a short jump shot. Lofton could score from anywhere on the floor and could also drive to the basket.

Tony was not really a great shooter. He was a great scorer. He would weave and turn and somehow get his shot off. Didn't he score 50 one night?

Tennessee under Pearl was usually the best conditioned team on the floor. They beat many teams with better talent like Kentucky, Florida and many others by simply outlasting them, playing harder in the last few minutes of the game. I loved the story about their running the ramp over at Neyland at 5 oclock in the morning singing "where is Kentucky, in bed asleep, where is Alabama, in bed asleep."

I had forgotten about that. I remember my dad used to talk about how Tennessee would win many of their games at the end due to their conditionning. He also used to say at the end of the game that it was "Lofton time" because he would usually make the big shots at the end of the game.

Yes Bruce scheduled top competition. Scheduling many more cupcakes is one of the things we have to look forward to in future. I don't think this coaching staff will play, much less beat, teams like Texas, Kansas, Georgetown, etc.

I am hoping you are wrong, but I afraid you are right.

With Pearl this team would have lost to Memphis going away.

Its really hard to understand why people make comments like this. You can't compare CCM's record with the Pearls because there just isn't any comparison. Pearl is a coach who won 20 or more games every year except 2 in his career. He won a div 2 national championship at So Indiana. Was second fastest coach to win 300 games next to Williams. In his first year with a team at TN that was expected to go nowhere he routed #2 ranked Texas 95-78 beat Ky at Rupp and beat national champion Fla twice both at home and on their own floor.
I can guarantee you right now Coach Martin will not even come close to acomplishing what the Pearl did at Tennessee.
Pearl is the kind of coach that comes along once in a lifetime for a school like Tennessee. That is a bargin basement price for a great coach. The Administration will not go out a pay 5 million to win a National championship in football like AL or the millions Ky is paying coach Cal. Most of the time you get pretty much what you pay for, the Pearl was and exception.

Its really hard to understand why people make comments like this. You can't compare CCM's record with the Pearls because there just isn't any comparison. Pearl is a coach who won 20 or more games every year except 2 in his career. He won a div 2 national championship at So Indiana. Was second fastest coach to win 300 games next to Williams. In his first year with a team at TN that was expected to go nowhere he routed #2 ranked Texas 95-78 beat Ky at Rupp and beat national champion Fla twice both at home and on their own floor.
I can guarantee you right now Coach Martin will not even come close to acomplishing what the Pearl did at Tennessee.
Pearl is the kind of coach that comes along once in a lifetime for a school like Tennessee. That is a bargin basement price for a great coach. The Administration will not go out a pay 5 million to win a National championship in football like AL or the millions Ky is paying coach Cal. Most of the time you get pretty much what you pay for, the Pearl was and exception.

Thank God I found someone who recognizes how good Pearl was. I still want to cry about what happened. He would have guaranteed Tennessee basketball relevance for years to come.

WOW. How can we be this far apart. To me, Bruce's teams were talented, but after the first couple of seasons they sure played lazy....conditioned or not.

Speaking of Pearl, that awkward moment when your local small town sportswriter claims UT should rehire Pearl in three years...

I would rehire him as soon as his totally disproportionate punishment is over. I thought giving up a million dollars was adequate punishment for what he did. At most he might have received a 1 year suspension. In my opinion a lot of this was payback because he reported a coach for cheating. The NCAA are a bunch of nazis in my view. The idea that a coach can't even talk about it when a ref makes a bad call that may have cost a game or a championship is rediculous.

I would rehire him as soon as his totally disproportionate punishment is over. I thought giving up a million dollars was adequate punishment for what he did. At most he might have received a 1 year suspension. In my opinion a lot of this was payback because he reported a coach for cheating. The NCAA are a bunch of nazis in my view. The idea that a coach can't even talk about it when a ref makes a bad call that may have cost a game or a championship is rediculous.

I'm very glad you have absolutely no influence on that decision then....

I agree. He should be coaching this year. I was afraid to voice the same opinion because I would be called a Pearlophile and an Idiot.

Elite 8, Three Sweet Sixteens, One SEC Title, 6 straight NCAA tournament appearances. He had two teams that were good enought to win the whole shooting match. Wow, he is an awful coach who did not know what he was doing. I cannot understand why people do not think he was an outstanding coach. He did this while inheriting a lousy basketball program. He started winning from day one.I only hope we can get half of this from Martin in the next 6 years. And last, but not least, if he was still the coach
Tennessee would be dancing this year.

amen brother preach on:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah his great performance against Oakland last year is a good reason to think he would have beaten them at their place this year.

Oaklands team last year was much better than this team. Wasn't at least a couple of those players going to the NBA. I will admit that there appeared to be some jet lag suffered in this game. This team has a chance to be competitive. We will soon know if Martin can coach at all.

I agree. He should be coaching this year. I was afraid to voice the same opinion because I would be called a Pearlophile and an Idiot.

So him lying to the governing body of college athletics is no big deal? I, for one, am disgusted by the embarrassment he caused this program and we barely averted a disaster with the possible sanctions imposed if he had stayed. How some of you overlook this and continue to say he deserves his job back and blindly support the man, is simply baffling to me....

amen brother preach on:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh, I forgot to mention the Elite 8s and sweet 16s were accomplished over a 5 year span. He also accomplished this without one first round draft pick. I also forgot to mention his pre season NIT championship.

I didn't say he wasn't a good coach, but you saying he would of adjusted and slowed the pace against Memphis, when that has never been his style of basketball, is an uninformed opinion and is pure speculation. Also, you're delusional if you think anyone, including Pearl, could take this team dancing...

There is no doubt in my mind that Pearl could win enough games with this team to get into the NCAA tournament. Martin may be able to accomplish that also.

Are you that blinded? Tobias and Scotty were locks to come back had we not robbed Bruce of his job. I love how so many people can talk all-knowingly after the fact. Whats funny is that you think Bruce wouldn't take this years team to the tourney when last year's team woulda been by far his worse team in his tenure here.

True and a lot of last year was due to all the problems with the NCAA and UT administrations very poor response. Sure Bruce screwed up but its not like he was a murderer or child molester. Or even paying players like some schools.

Oaklands team last year was much better than this team. Wasn't at least a couple of those players going to the NBA. I will admit that there appeared to be some jet lag suffered in this game. This team has a chance to be competitive. We will soon know if Martin can coach at all.

I like Martin. He treats his kids well and they are relaxed. Tatum's shot looks a lot better. McCray is going to be outstanding before he leaves. Also I like the look of the guys he recruited on such short notice. Richardson was a find. I am not expecting too much from him this year, but he will be a good one. If he can somehow pull Stokes out of Memphis, things could be looking up real soon.

True and a lot of last year was due to all the problems with the NCAA and UT administrations very poor response. Sure Bruce screwed up but its not like he was a murderer or child molester. Or even paying players like some schools.

I agree. I think Hamilton should have taken every opportunity to defend Bruce, which he did not.

I swear, this school has some of the absolute stupidest fans on Earth. This is one of the few good boards on here, I'd prefer it not be ruined by "Pearl is the best coach EVER!!!" people.

Pearl is the best coach ever because no other coach at Tennessee has even come close to accomplishing what Pearl has accomplished.

I swear, this school has some of the absolute stupidest fans on Earth. This is one of the few good boards on here, I'd prefer it not be ruined by "Pearl is the best coach EVER!!!" people.

Some of the people on here seem to think you can fire a great basketball coach at Tennesse and just go out a hire a mid major coach and he will come in here and do a fantastic job. Its kinda like winning the lottery its not impossible but the odds against it are tremendous.

VN Store

Back