Poverty in America?

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
A few people's heads may esplode.

The federal government says that 14% of Americans live in poverty. So here's a list of luxuries that these households retain:

99.6% own a refrigerator; 81.4% own a microwave; 78.3% own an air conditioner; 73% own a car or a truck; 63.7% own cable or satellite television; 54.5% own a cell phone; 53.9% own an Xbox or PlayStation; 48.6% own a coffee maker; 38.2% own a computer; 32.3% own two or more televisions; 31% own two or more cars; and 25% own a dishwasher.

Rector says that that only 2% experience hunger and it is only temporary. The word temporary is a key word in the poverty/rich debate too because both categories are primarily not permanent for Americans--the Left would like you to think so though.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/greghengler/2011/07/20/what_is_poor_in_america

doesn't matter. bill gates owns 4 houses. until they own more than one they are living in poverty. they'd be much happier being serfs in england in the 1800s. My $.02

doesn't matter. bill gates owns 4 houses. until they own more than one they are living in poverty. they'd be much happier being serfs in england in the 1800s. My $.02

reveling in the gifts of enlightenment

everyone knows that being poor sucks - no denying it. It's just the persistent mantra that more $ from the government in transfer payments as the solution that drives me bonkers.

everyone knows that being poor sucks - no denying it. It's just the persistent mantra that more $ from the government in transfer payments as the solution that drives me bonkers.

I agree that is the most frustrating aspect, but it also frustrates me that people have no perspective. The American poor are part of the richest 80% of the world and the richest 99% in world history. Basically what I'm saying is 99% of human beings that ever existed would not feel "sorry" for the American poor in 2011.

They're clearly poor because Gates is rich.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

what makes me so frustrated is the fact that you libs only think that government is the only way to help the poor.

there are so many organizations that can stretch a dollar and be a 1000x more efficient than any gov program. the problem is that Americans can't give the amount they would like because we're taxed to death. liberalism has to be some type of mental condition

Any source on those stats? Not saying they aren't true, I just find it interesting that they know 81.4% of the 14% of those living in poverty own a microwave.

Any source on those stats? Not saying they aren't true, I just find it interesting that they know 81.4% of the 14% of those living in poverty own a microwave.

I would bet it's the Census but just guessing. The long form was pretty detailed.

I would also assume that these don't include homeless either. Otherwise, not sure I buy the 99.6% own a refridgerator, unless only 0.4% of the country is homeless.

I would also assume that these don't include homeless either. Otherwise, not sure I buy the 99.6% own a refridgerator, unless only 0.4% of the country is homeless.

The author states these numbers are for "households" so they don't include the homeless.

Only 1% of Americans experience homelessness, so the current number is probably a lot less than that. I wonder what qualifies them as officially homeless. 1 night in your car?

I don't know...I'm not questioning the politics here, I'm questioning the numbers and methodology.

Or student loan funded/mommy and daddy funded. I wonder how many of those under the poverty line are students.

Was thinking the same thing - I would have been in this group while a grad student. My "income" was about 8 grand/year but I was adding 10 or so with student loans.

Lived in graduate housing - certainly didn't want for anything.

Was thinking the same thing - I would have been in this group while a grad student. My "income" was about 8 grand/year but I was adding 10 or so with student loans.

My wife and I have qualified as impoverished for the last 4 years (no longer in 2011). I took one grant for $2500 last fall to finish school, and didn't go to government for anything else (and really didn't turn much to family or friends either). We didn't want for anything.

Yeah, I live off campus in a pretty nice house, made somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 last year and I very rarely hurt for money.

VN Store

Back